Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Surge is Illegal!

Cogito · 43 · 8974

us Offline Cogito

Leatherman Surge is Illegal!
on: March 11, 2014, 03:27:59 AM
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up as I found out that the Leatherman Surge is illegal to carry in Los Angeles and San Fransisco, California because the blade length is over 3 inches.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up in case you come to California to make sure that you don't carry a Surge with you, but afaik a wave is fine.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Leatherman Surge is Illegal!
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:42:12 AM
Dont forget Oakland as well.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:30 AM
Show me the law
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:59:33 AM
Dont know the penal code off the top of my head but there is no blade length limit in california except the 3" limit for those three cities.
I'm the milk man!

Offline droidpiggy

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 04:31:48 AM
I thought USA a country of more freedom ...

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 04:34:37 AM
I thought USA a country of more freedom ...
It is, but California isn't a free state.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 05:02:38 AM
Politics.... Be cool, everyone.

But yeah, stay out of California  :D
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 05:17:25 AM
I did not know about those NORCAL cities blade limit laws  :o
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 05:27:50 AM
I've read somewhere Chicago is strict. Blades have to be sub-2" I believe. I could be wrong though. Knife laws are sporadic throughout the country, luckily for me New Jersey isn't like that.

Offline torogi

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 06:26:03 AM
Geez, Fremont is 2" max. I pass by Fremont all the time. I didn't know that. That is crazy.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 08:28:09 AM
Now makes me enjoy EDC Surge even more!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:40 AM
I am sure that plenty of cities have knife city by-laws that might be shocking to most. Here in my city, most folks think that a knife can't be any longer than your palm. However, having talked to a police friend of mine, he told me there was no such law on the books, but they don't advertise it as most like that people think this way. On the other hand, it is frowned upon to conceal a knife on a person. Your good to go if it is visible on a belt sheath. Mind you, if you are stopped and searched (The chance of that happening would be like winning the Provincial lottery), they could charge you with conceal carry if you have one hidden on you. A simple, I have a knife on me statement would probably allay this issue though. Knives are pretty common around here, and nobody ever uses them as weapons. Seriously, I can't recall the last time a knife was used to stab someone locally. :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 11:38:59 AM
Florida is pretty lax on knives even switchblades, though I carry my Wave in a sheath. It's too heavy for pocket carry. I carry a Rambler and Style CS in my pocket but those have tiny blades. As for Commifornia, they have some of the goofiest laws in the nation, although NY might be surpassing them these days...  :whistle:
SAW

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 12:06:04 PM
We have pretty good knife laws here, and from the below, it's law to carry one in unfamiliar terrain.

The law requires that you carry a knife or axe, waterproof matches (or matches in a waterproof container) and a compass when travelling in unfamiliar terrain. Some form of light weight shelter material, i.e. 6 mil plastic, would also be desirable. (Space blankets tend to rip and tear in severe weather). A small stove to provide warm liquid as well as the equipment necessary to provide for a fire (waterproofed, strike anywhere matches, as well as some fire starter material) should be carried at all times.

It's very common during hunting season to see people with various knives attached to their belt.  Fixed blades and Buck 110's are pretty common.

pl Offline Gilliand

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 01:27:43 PM
I've always considered blade length one of the most arbitrary and stupid attributes to base knife restrictions on. About half of the kitchen knives are illegal this way. But, on the other hand, if you're a cop with poor results, you can always drop by into the nearest steak house and make a dozen of easy arrests - so I guess it's not entirely pointless idea ;)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 01:48:13 PM
Unless it's a tack on charge , Oakland , S.F. , and L.A. Cops have way more important stuff to worry about . That would go double for a Multi , as opposed to a folder .

Be discrete , don't act up , and don't worry . Be a Doofus , if they want you , they'll get you .

Chris

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 02:16:36 PM
i honestly don't know any blade laws for alabama, but i do remember a cop friend remarking once that pretty much anything goes except a sharpened sword.

come to think of it, that guy isn't a cop anymore, perhaps i should read them.

england Offline macabee

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 03:42:12 PM
On this side of the big pond, it is illegal any bladed article if:
 a/ it has a blade longer than 3 inches
 b/ The blade can be locked in the open position.

Unless you can provide a good reason for carrying it.

That would make nearly all Leatherman MT's illegal to carry in the UK, whilst I have a Rebar on my belt indoors, it stays indoors.

I do carry a Micra on my keyring, so far so good :facepalm:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 03:49:40 PM
We have pretty good knife laws here, and from the below, it's law to carry one in unfamiliar terrain.

The law requires that you carry a knife or axe, waterproof matches (or matches in a waterproof container) and a compass when travelling in unfamiliar terrain. Some form of light weight shelter material, i.e. 6 mil plastic, would also be desirable. (Space blankets tend to rip and tear in severe weather). A small stove to provide warm liquid as well as the equipment necessary to provide for a fire (waterproofed, strike anywhere matches, as well as some fire starter material) should be carried at all times.

It's very common during hunting season to see people with various knives attached to their belt.  Fixed blades and Buck 110's are pretty common.
Sorry to backtrack, but is that really a law/rule??? That is sweet, and pretty practical actually.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 04:15:40 PM

Sorry to backtrack, but is that really a law/rule??? That is sweet, and pretty practical actually.
I did some searching on this, and can't really find anything.  This came from the Nova Scotia website. http://www.novascotia.ca/natr/wildlife/conserva/survival.asp

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 01:05:40 AM
I've read somewhere Chicago is strict. Blades have to be sub-2" I believe. I could be wrong though. Knife laws are sporadic throughout the country, luckily for me New Jersey isn't like that.

Yeah really!  We can't pump our own gas, but the knife laws are very relaxed here.  Don't be an ass with it, and you can get away with carrying just about anything.  Hell, the police chief in the town I work in carries a Kershaw Leek every day.  Guess where he first handled one.....  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 01:15:29 AM
You can't pump your own gas??  I don't think we even have any full serve places left around here!! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 01:21:54 AM
You can't pump your own gas??  I don't think we even have any full serve places left around here!! :D

Only two states do not have any self-serve gas stations, NJ and Oregon.  And yet here we have some of the lowest gas prices  in the country......  :)  It's actually a state law that dates back to 1949.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:11 AM

Only two states do not have any self-serve gas stations, NJ and Oregon.  And yet here we have some of the lowest gas prices  in the country......  :)  It's actually a state law that dates back to 1949.
Who da thunk it.  You learn something new every day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Agonistes

Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 01:52:09 AM
so apparently alabama has one of the best blade carrying set of laws in the country.  according to what i found on the interwebs,

'If you don’t like legal speak, here is the basics of what are legal under Alabama knife laws.

Balisongs/butterfly knives are legal.
    Switchblades, gravity knives, automatic and assisted opening knives are legal.
    Stilettos, dirks, and toothpick knives are legal.
    All folding knives are legal.
    Bowies are legal if carried open (like on your hip).
    Bowies are legal to carry concealed if you are on your own property.
    Double sided knives are legal, no  matter the size.
    If the knife fits in your pocket, it is legal.
    Out the front knives are legal.'

sooooooo, pretty much everything but a sword, and you can get away with that if it is double-sided.  and i want to know who is awesome enough to conceal-carry a knife big enough to be considered a real bowie.

edit:  what the smurf is an 'out-the-front' knife?  of course i visualize a 'fly blade' but that can't be right.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:00:02 AM by Agonistes »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 05:01:53 AM
It's a knife where the blade comes out the front. Rather than folding out like a traditional folder it slides point first through the top of the handle.

There are a few high end knife companies that make them. Have a look at Microtech brand as I think they make some. It's been a while since I was interested in that kind of thing and my memory is a bit rusty.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 05:14:35 AM
I know this is off topic but I just bought a Surge online like 5 mins ago :D 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 05:18:25 AM
I know this is off topic but I just bought a Surge online like 5 mins ago :D

Nice!  :tu:

I normally go much more off topic than that.  >:D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 05:20:01 AM
New or old? NEW OR OLD???  :D

us Offline Cogito

Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 05:22:44 AM
It was a really tough call for me, but you guys spooked me on the plier heads breaking so I figured the old surge has more metal in the head for structural integrity, but if I end up carrying it more than my sidekick then I'll prob get a new surge too :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD
29%