Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The hunt for Alox Colors

us Offline Kid33

Re: The hunt for Alox Colors
Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 08:31:09 AM
one more pic
IMG_0108.JPG
* IMG_0108.JPG (Filesize: 180.87 KB)
A wise man speaks few words

Offline RedRamage

Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 02:59:27 PM
Red,
      Your collection is looking good! 
Thanks... it's getting there.  My love affair with SAKs started with my uncle who always carried one and liked to show it off to his nephews with all the different tools.  He always carried a cellidor one, which is why I started collecting cellidor.  Really alox seemed an after thought to me.  After all, Alox doesn't have scale tools, so right there it seemed like it was slightly deficient.  I picked up a few smaller alox here and there just to have them in my collection, but they certainly weren't the focus.

It's only more recently that I've really started to get into the look and feel of the Alox.  Especially if they are just for my collection, why do I care (that much) for functionality?  And the Alox look really, really sharp.  Plus with the increase in color options... well, that's obviously my Achilles heal.

I have a couple of questions.  I recieved my Blue and Red alox from the German seller today.  They came in smaller boxes and had little sheaths.  Also the Back engraving plate was really much larger than standard.  Finally, I am wondering if the Red and Blue from this Seller are the same as the French Colors?   This Blue is darker than standard I believe.  I am not sure about the red. 

I also recieved my Brown and Gunmetal classics from The French sellers.  I noticed on the back of the French alox classics the Engraved panel was already engraved with Victorinox.
Looking at your pictures, the blue definitely looks like my blue.  But the French version are supposed to have Vic already engraved, so I dunno.  My guess is this is a new run of the French colors for other markets.  But that's just a guess.

I still need Pink and Orange, and I think I will just get the Flash Drive versions. I actually like those.
Why not?  They're pretty cheap for the low GB levels and I suspect they are just about the same thickness as a classic.  I've got a silver one of those coming soon.

FInally Red.. What do you think of the smooth alox classic versions?

I have some.  I have a silver, red, and blue smooth scales.  I think the ribbed are better looking, but I'm not going to shy away from smooth.  I think there's a black smooth out there too that I'll try to add sometime.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 09:15:48 PM
Holy crap... so it appears my chart is horribly wrong...  Check out this link:

http://swissknives.info/alox-special-run-overview/

Brown, Purple, Lila?, Green, Orange, Gold, Sand, Ugh... LOTS and LOTS of colors!  Some with red shield, some with out... some with a black outline on the shield.  And ALL with very limited numbers. 

I'd love to get me hands on a lot of those... but I'd also like to retire before I'm 97, so I guess I'll just have to pass.  At least the 58mm are relatively cheap!  :D

us Offline Kid33

Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 08:59:45 PM
I made a video of my current 58mm colection if anybody wants to see.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6VgjENtWw&feature=youtu.be

Offline RedRamage

Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 09:11:51 PM
Nice!  I think the only one of those 58ers that I don't have is the apocalypse green one.  Just added black yesterday.

us Offline Kid33

Reply #35 on: May 02, 2014, 09:19:39 PM
Thanks Red!   Glad you finally got your black version in the mail. :)   I think Roger from Swiss Bianco told me that there will be another apocoplypse green run, but dont quote me on that.  :)  I gotta say the APocolypze green is prob my favorite of the bunch.  I would def get another..

I still need the VIolet and copper swiss biancos.. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:21:57 PM by Kid33 »

us Offline Kid33

Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 09:25:02 PM
58mm colors update

Offline RedRamage

Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 04:47:37 PM
Dude... STOP IT!  You're making me very Jealous!!

Now that I'm back from my vacation I'm going to put some more surplus up on eBay then I'll have to start the hunt for Alox again.  I still haven't decided yet if I'm going to limit my collection in anyway. 

To each their own, of course, but I'm not a huge fan of the white outline-red shield ones.  I don't think they are terrible, but just not my personal favorite.  The problem is that I love some of the colors like the greens that only come with the red fill on the shield.

I'm more bothered by the no outline, no fill shields.  Something about them just feels wrong to me... almost like it was a third party paint job.  Sort alike a classic car that was repainted and the painter didn't bother to cover the manufacturers logo so now you've got a mustang that's all blue... included the mustang logo.  I'm not really sure I want to add these to my collection.  If I find it really cheap I might get it, but it's low on the priority list to say the least.

As for the red fill but NO white outline... those I hate.  Again, to each there own, but if you like this I hate you.   :D  I might accept one of these as a gift... maybe.  But I'd have to think about it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%