Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A little annoyed.

AdmSlc · 10 · 1397

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
A little annoyed.
on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:09 PM
I have had a standard Victorinox classic key chain knife on my keychain for as long as I can remember (15years plus) with no problems, they have obviously shown signs of wear on the scales but no problems. A year or so ago I decided to upgrade the key cain knife from the classic to the mini champ. I have had 2 of them that each one of the scales has broken off. Has anyone else noticed a quality/difference with the scales with the mini champ other than the obvious pen insert? I'm no harder on my keys?

-AdmSlc

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: A little annoyed.
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:31:16 PM
Could it be older vs new? I was carrying a Bijou and the scales barely showed a mark even though I wedged it into pockets with other rougher items. New minichamp however is showing marks after about a week, a few decently deep. For me it doesn't really matter, as long as everything functions well I enjoy it showing some character. But the difference has been noticeable for me.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:40:02 PM
I  changed the scales on mine and keep  it in a leatherpouch, but I see no  problem with the original or the replacement scales.
I have broken twice my Swisschamp's scales but with lots of effort (usually after many drops on concrete) and still, only a tiny portion broke off. Generally I see those scales as hard nuts. They all are made of the same old Cellidor, isn't that so?

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:50:08 PM
Not sure about the 58 mm scales, but the scales on my Tinker (both of them) warped in months after the purchase and started to wobble. I was somewhat unpleasantly surprised because I can't recall being too harsh with the knife. I also didn't leave the knife somewhere near the source of heat or something like that.

They started to wobble a lot so I took them off. The front scale was so bent in the center, I was like  ??? In the center of the knife, the front scale rose about 1 mm from the aluminum liner. When you took that knife in the hand, the scale descended to the aluminum liner and produced an audible, annoying click.

I solved that, now the scales are fine, but then again... "Huh? What was that?"

On two occasions, I borrowed that knife to a friend.. Maybe he was abusing the knife, I don't really know?...

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 03:12:36 AM
Maybe your friend left it on the dashboard of his automobile?  Too much heat...
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline Cogito

Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 03:45:13 AM
I lived in a tropical place and had the classic scale side that holds tweezers fail on me and also the metal turned greenish.

I think the only solution is for you to buy an all metal tool like a Leatherman :)

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 04:58:51 AM
Alox!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline Joe58

Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:22:45 AM
Yup - like papercut says, Alox

Although I've never had issues with any if my cellidor models, it could be heat related.

The Alox will hold up much better than the cellidor in my opinion.

Or have one of the modders make you a cool brass or Ti one.  :gimme:
🇨🇭

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 09:32:20 AM
I lived in a tropical place and had the classic scale side that holds tweezers fail on me and also the metal turned greenish.

I think the only solution is for you to buy an all metal tool like a Leatherman :)

Be careful with that leatherman, it might turn little brownish.  :rofl:

us Offline Cogito

Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 09:40:07 AM

Be careful with that leatherman, it might turn little brownish.  :rofl:

I took my sidekick to the same place for 1 month and nothing happened to it, however to be fair the victorinox failed after 2 months of being in my pocket not just 1 so who knows what would have happened to the leatherman if I stayed an extra month, but I def have more confidence in the sidekick.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%