Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Be a hero and EDC a safety pin.

Aloha · 40 · 9174

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Be a hero and EDC a safety pin.
Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 05:52:02 PM
I tend to carry things "modularly" this way I only take what I need without having to  repack.  I have a bag I call my EVAC bag which has a tool, FAK, Toiletries, clothes, Security/protection, goodies ( foods ), and documents, etc modules.  These are set up modularly so for example I can grab a empty bag for an over night trip and take out the Security and/or goodies module.  I can also add or subtract to build up or slim down depending on the situation.  Here in California we have wild fires and though it hasn't been a while but earthquakes as well.  I also use this EVAC bag for home fire or flood or neighborhood gas leak or any other situation that would require me to EVAC my home.   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:54:05 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 06:04:47 PM
Right on, I basically have the same set up, my bag is designed as a three day get home bag. So if SHTF I have  three days to get to my other gear.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 06:29:03 PM
Right on, I basically have the same set up, my bag is designed as a three day get home bag. So if SHTF I have  three days to get to my other gear.

Swiss Army knives .

Mine is set up ( 1 week ) for Red Cross services ( as a last resort ) or bunking with family/friends/hotel etc in the event of a disaster or like I said home fire or flooding or unexpected neighborhood EVAC.  I along with many saw the poor unprepared folks of Katrina and other places as well as the Northridge (California) earthquake and other situations that have happened.

I have a BDTH set up ( Batten down the hatches ) if I am to remain at home with enough to get me thru a month ( food and water ).  I have neighbors involved in a community effort so we can relay on each other.  I live in a large condo development but I have 3 other units where we share a fence line so the four homes can wait "it" out.   I also live in an area (  the hood ) so security may be an issue so the more involved the better.           
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 07:04:25 PM
Nice, we are on the same page.
CHEERS

us Offline nj2656

Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 06:44:03 PM
I have rescued a few women from edc'ing safety pins. I have recently added a diaper pin to my bag. My daughter(10) is very thin and tall. So her pants are all to big around the waist. Used it to tighten up her waist band.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 07:13:53 PM
I have rescued a few women from edc'ing safety pins. I have recently added a diaper pin to my bag. My daughter(10) is very thin and tall. So her pants are all to big around the waist. Used it to tighten up her waist band.

Excellent  :tu:.  The paper clip is a close second but the safety pin for me is still tops. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 12:54:41 AM
I have needed a safety pin maybe ... twice, I think.

I've needed to sew a button back on something like 3 or 4 times.

I have needed a paperclip (when one wasn't normally available, as in outside an office) maybe three or four times.

Never needed a twist tie.

But I carry all of them.

And for those making sewing kits. The mini altoid tins are good for this, IMO.  :tu:

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 09:12:35 PM
 I use a Quikoin for my pocket change (which is also a hugely underrated item in my opinion). In it, along with my change, is a paper clip, safety pin, and a bobby pin. Those three common items take up zero space, weigh nothing, and yet are limited in use only by your creativity.

The obvious: missing button, torn clothing, my daughter's hair in her face, a need for wire..

The not so obvious: zipper pull, fuse bypass, fish hook, hot wire for melting a clean hole in plastic..

And the best part is, they are all disposable more or less and easily replenished when used.

There just isn't much reason not to carry them.

Now... MT.org Quikoins. Who is working on that?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:22:01 PM by glorn »
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 09:18:54 PM
Oh, and..

Pinned to the wool blanket that I keep in my Jeep is a... Can you guess?

Pinned to my blanket?

:think:

A blanket pin.  ;)

http://www.ivory-s.com/images/blanket_pin.jpg

Which is essentially a huge and strong safety pin for those who have never seen one. Absolutely useful for all manner of things, but most notable is the option of turning ones blanket into a cloak. Leaves the hands free in cold weather or emergency.

If you keep a blanket in your vehicle, there's no reason I can think of that should prevent you from pinning one these to it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:20:40 PM by glorn »
G

00 Offline jacktrades

Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:27 PM
I always keep a few safety pins in my wallet, along with a p38 and a sears 4way screwdriver.
They all come handy from time to time, and take very little space.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%