Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you use your saw for?

mtds · 39 · 8814

us Offline mtds

What do you use your saw for?
on: March 12, 2014, 06:45:50 PM
Recently I won an auction for a Spartan, but the seller shipped me a Camper.  I offered to return it, but he felt it wasn't worth the trouble and told me I could keep it if I liked.  I already have more Spartans than any sane person would need, and the Camper (with ruby scales) appeared "carried but unused", so I agreed to keep it.

I haven't found a use for a saw in my daily routine or even on an occasional basis.  Maybe I'm missing some secondary uses for it... What do you use your saw for?

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: What do you use your saw for?
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:40:48 PM
Where possible, I mod out the saw or choose to carry a SAK or tool with no wood saw. If I need a saw, it's typically for duties that require a specialized one or something full size.

If I am hiking or camping, my SAK will have one (ie Outrider or Huntsman, etc) and then it's as a backup only for typical wood cutting duties on a small scale as I carry a dedicated saw.

On a very rare occasion I have used it to reach into crevices to fish something out. Usually something that the teeth can get hold off, like fabric or soft material.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:04:24 PM
I use the saw a lot when outdoors for cutting branches. Other than that it doesn't see much use

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:14:56 PM
This is an interesting topic, as I have often wondered this myself.  While I like to have a saw on my multitools just in case, I rarely ever use it for wood cutting purposes.  I think I've read on here that some have used it on plastic :think:  I have used it for the purpose Toolslinger mentioned-reaching into a tight spot for a fabric material or something (sock that has fallen between the washer and dryer in my case). 

Also, if I were to be out in the woods for whatever planned reason, I would likely be taking my sawback machete anyway.  I think the saw is one of my least needed tools on a MT/SAK, but it's still nice to have for the occasion that it comes in handy. 
K-Tibbs

Offline RedRamage

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:41:47 PM
I have used the wood saw for wood cutting on occasion, and it really works quite well give it's small size.  But as others have said, I wouldn't plan to use it on anything more than a small branch.  Honestly, I can't think of a secondary use at all... when I had a custom SAK made I put in a metal saw but that was probably as much for the file as it was for the saw.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:58 PM
Making harch cuts when fiddling something.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:15:06 PM
Nothing, but I like having it on certain SAKs.
My EDC SAK, nah. My hardworking or outdoors or "Just in case" SAK's, yeah.

Beside branches you could use it to cut dry wall and other materials if need be.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:20:04 PM
The single most often used purpose for a SAK saw over the past 40 years for me has been MAKING ME BLEED.
I have drawn blood with one of then far more often than the blade.  :facepalm:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:29:42 PM
The single most often used purpose for a SAK saw over the past 40 years for me has been MAKING ME BLEED.
I have drawn blood with one of then far more often than the blade.  :facepalm:
That's the righ SAK spirit, you can always find a purpose for a SAK tool  :facepalm: :whistle:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 11:37:23 PM
Good for PVC, CPVC, plastic and of coarse wood.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 12:06:45 AM
I think the saw is one of my least needed tools on a MT/SAK, but it's still nice to have for the occasion that it comes in handy.

I agree with it being my least needed tool. Yet, it tends to be one of the more common implements on SAKs. I think that has to do with a lot of their models targeting handymen and outdoors pursuits.

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 12:19:21 AM
I use it for drywall repairs all the time.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 12:25:44 AM
I've used the 111mm model saw lots more than the 91mm ones I've had. Various woods (esp. thin composites), plastics (mostly pipe), drywall, and occasionally bone and aluminum wire. It's still wickedly sharp, I can relate to the bleeding PTR, lol  :)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 12:33:13 AM
It rocks for PVC when you only need to make one or two cuts, and I make raking and such from PVC fairly often. Use it when building with found, natural "lumber", cutting bone (after the bettles are done), rope that was soaked and then frozen, cutting hard rubber and various plastics (including circuit board sheeting), placing traps and setting up my hide when hunting, making repairs to all kinds of broken wood stuff...

Reason why I don't leave home without a SAK or LM with a saw. I probably use it about 10 times as much as I do the files.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 01:44:12 AM
When I was still working construction, I used the saw almost daily. Victorinox saws — particularly the 111mm ones — make ridiculously effective drywall saws, and even the 91mm can be instrumental in breaking up flats (since you only have to cut about halfway through before you can just break the rest with Violence).

I also used my Outrider's saw when I was still experimenting with building tin whistles out of bamboo or electrical conduit.  It worked like a dream on those.

Now that I'm in a school setting full-time, I'm carrying a Climber in my pocket...but there's always an OH Forester in my bag, just in case. And if I ever get out camping, my Huntsman will probably go back in my pocket.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:57:20 AM
I never use saws, at least in urban environments. That's why I prefer SAKs without them.
Leatherman

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 03:29:53 AM
Never needed it.  I was also cut really bad with one as a kid so I dont tend to like them much.  For me the metal saw/file is much more valuable than the wood say.  I think vic should release urban farmers with the metal saw instead off wood.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline False Cast

Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 03:55:59 AM
I'm a traditional bowhunter and I like to cover a lot of ground while hunting so I pack light. My Vic saws (Climber and Farmer) are perfect for trimming small branches and limbs for shooting lanes while in the woods.

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 04:00:55 AM

Swiss Army knives .

I use it almost daily for cutting drywall. It's perfect for installing coax cable wall plates. Drill the hole for the cable, cut it open a bit with the saw, mark the 2 screw holes with the awl, and use the Phillips to run them home. Wall plate installation with nothing but a SAK.

us Offline burnside

Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 04:01:49 AM
I'm a traditional bowhunter and I like to cover a lot of ground while hunting so I pack light. My Vic saws (Climber and Farmer) are perfect for trimming small branches and limbs for shooting lanes while in the woods.

Good usage!  :tu:

Glad to see you made it over here! Welcome to the place were the SAK addicts gather.  :cheers:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 04:03:42 AM
I almost forgot -- the back of the saw is far more effective on flint strikers than the blade. Really!

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 07:12:42 AM
I find it makes a great back scratcher :-)

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:56 AM
I love the idea of an urban farmer with a metal saw.  That would be an awesome urban edc to combine with a classic.

Cheers
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:13 AM
A farmer with both saws would be sweet.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 04:51:57 PM
When I was still working construction, I used the saw almost daily. Victorinox saws — particularly the 111mm ones — make ridiculously effective drywall saws, and even the 91mm can be instrumental in breaking up flats (since you only have to cut about halfway through before you can just break the rest with Violence).

Capital V violence. Lowercase just won't cut it ;).

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 06:03:07 PM
Never needed it.  I was also cut really bad with one as a kid so I dont tend to like them much.  For me the metal saw/file is much more valuable than the wood say.  I think vic should release urban farmers with the metal saw instead off wood.

Although I've owned Campers, Hikers & Farmers, I've never used the wood saw yet!

An "Urban Farmer" sounds more like it.
Do you think it would be possible to mod a Farmer by changing the wood saw for a metal file/saw using the same backspring?

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 06:08:44 PM
For cutting plastic bottles is great, cutting bones for cooking, etc. 

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 07:39:59 PM
Good for PVC, CPVC, plastic and of coarse wood.

that's us mobile

Yes!  All the time.

Swiss Army knives .

I use it almost daily for cutting drywall. It's perfect for installing coax cable wall plates. Drill the hole for the cable, cut it open a bit with the saw, mark the 2 screw holes with the awl, and use the Phillips to run them home. Wall plate installation with nothing but a SAK.

This also!  It is a great drywall saw, but man, drywall is tough on the teeth. 

BTW, the teeth can be CAREFULLY sharpened with a triangular file.  I've done it a couple times after watching some youtube video on it.

How I use a Vic saw:  When out trailrunning or horseback, it makes a quick and effective tool for clearing fouling branches.  I actually got a chainsaw free that had been pinched in a branch, by cutting of the offending end of the branch.

When I'm installing electrical stuff, I use it all the time for adjusting openings and clearing cables in tight spots. 

I would say I use the saw much more frequently than scissors.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 02:32:47 AM

Capital V violence. Lowercase just won't cut it ;).

It really won't!

Quote from: Mr. Whippy link=topic=50997.msg859968#msg859968
This also!  It is a great drywall saw, but man, drywall is tough on the teeth. 

BTW, the teeth can be CAREFULLY sharpened with a triangular file.  I've done it a couple times after watching some youtube video on  it.

I've never had to sharpen mine, but I sure had to clean a lot of drywall dust out of it.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 04:51:44 AM
Honestly, the best hand powered saw for sheet rock that is SAK sized, at least in my experience, is the fish scaler! Use a round needle file to just touch the edge up, and rips through dry wall without picking up a lot of crud.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%