Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Deluxe Flyer Pro - Metro's 1st SAK Mod

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Deluxe Flyer Pro - Metro's 1st SAK Mod
on: March 21, 2014, 11:50:19 PM
Ok. I did it. My first SAK mod ever. Introducing the Deluxe Flyer Pro. Theoretically this will get past security and onto planes.

I took apart a broken down and dirty Swiss Champ and took out the stuff that would be deemed a sharp EXCEPT for the scissors. The are the number one used tool when traveling (for me at least). I also made this with a lot of preloved tools so I won't be too sad of this gets taken away at the gate. The liners are also pretty beat up, it's a user not a pleaser.

So, the final tool set is flat/combo, can opener, pliers, scissors, inline Phillips, mag glass, file (with a rounded tip), awl (which I may dull down or something), hook and small flat driver.

Finish it off with a new set of standard scales with the T&T.

It's not pretty but it'll work, especially the side with the blank cut out for the missing Phillips or corkscrew.

There is always a way, hack on!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Deluxe Flyer Pro - Metro's 1st SAK Mod
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:07:16 AM
Like I said in the other thread there are still possible problems with this getting past security, but you could get a ball point pen confiscated as well if they feel it is a threat so I guess that doesn't mean much. Are you going to be traveling any time soon? Also like I said before if it does get taken we can put out a reconnaissance mission to find it on a NTSA lot on EBAY. It would be easily spotted i'm sure.  :tu:

Again, great work!  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:13:34 AM

Like I said in the other thread there are still possible problems with this getting past security, but you could get a ball point pen confiscated as well if they feel it is a threat so I guess that doesn't mean much. Are you going to be traveling any time soon? Also like I said before if it does get taken we can put out a reconnaissance mission to find it on a NTSA lot on EBAY. It would be easily spotted i'm sure.  :tu:

Again, great work!  :tu:

Totally. I think I maybe going to California in a month or so, if it does, I'll be really frank about it and explain what it is. The back scale that has no corkscrew or Phillips driver will be a good indication.

Although, it will end up in the CATSA (Canadian air travel) before the TSA.

There is always a way, hack on!
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:29:41 AM
Well let us know how everything goes with it.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 04:10:30 AM
My thought was that if (when) it gets confiscated, then sold in a lot to a reseller who, finds it and then throws it away because they have no clue what it is or how to describe it on ebay.

I sure hope it has a long useful life. I did read somewhere that it helps to put such things in a tub by themselves with everything open. I had a small PST clone I modded and put only non sharp tools in only one handle. The agent looked at it and scratched his head and was about to get the supervisor when I said "no blade." He looked at it again, smiled at me and put it back.

On the way back it got barely a look. Sure depends on who you get.

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 06:16:24 AM
Nice work Eric :tu:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 06:17:56 AM
My thought was that if (when) it gets confiscated, then sold in a lot to a reseller who, finds it and then throws it away because they have no clue what it is or how to describe it on ebay.

I sure hope it has a long useful life. I did read somewhere that it helps to put such things in a tub by themselves with everything open. I had a small PST clone I modded and put only non sharp tools in only one handle. The agent looked at it and scratched his head and was about to get the supervisor when I said "no blade." He looked at it again, smiled at me and put it back.

On the way back it got barely a look. Sure depends on who you get.

I had a similar experience recently flying with a Style PS in my pocket. Leaving Portland, it didn't even get a second glance -- no questions or anything. (Maybe because the LM factory is right down the road?)

However, on the return flight, the TSA agents in Cali were very interested, and skeptical at first... but once I pointed out that there was no blade, they became engrossed in the "cool" factor of the tool. :D I enjoyed discussing the different aspects of the tool with them, and all three of them said they were going to get one for themselves when I told them I got mine for only $20.

that being said -- nice work, Eric! :tu: I like the tool loadout, and it looks pretty damn good, especially for a first attempt at a custom SAK. ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%