Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

swisstool vs leatherman surge vs leatherman wave vs SOG powerassist

Offline pandaconda

• New User
I'm planning on getting a multitool for my birthday and have heard varying things about all these, I want a multitool that will last, that has preferably outside opening knives, and can be carried in pocket with a pocket clip (do not like sheaths). what do you like about yours? what do you reccomend?

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
If you want to pocket carry and are able to take the weight, the Surge is an awesome tool. Has a lot of replaceable parts (cutters, file, saw, bits) that the others don't have. It's heavy though.

If you don't want the weight, the Wave is an awesome tool. Has most of the same tools as the Surge without the replaceable part (except bits).

Swisstool requires an aftermarket clip. I'm not a huge fan of mine, but when I carry it, it is in a sheath.

SOGs are right out for me. Never could get to like them and always felt they were only really good for the pliers.

My recommendation would be the new model Surge (if you can take the size and weight). If not, Wave followed by Swisstool.

FWIW I have owned and used all of the mentioned tools. The only one I don't still have and use is the SOG.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Also, if you can post more info about what tools/features are most important (you already mentioned pocket carry), that might help.

Your location could also be a factor in pricing and availability.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
All of them good. The wave is more pocket friendly, but the Surge is bigger, has an awl, blade exchanger, and has replaceable wire cutters.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
All good choices except the SOG Power Assist is a piece of garbage.
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
All good choices except the SOG Power Assist is a piece of garbage.
Oh. He said Power Assist, I thought it was Powerlock.
Don't know about the Power Assist, but the Power Lock is a good tool.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
The Power Assist gives away too much room for the assisted opening blades.
The Power lock has no outside opening tools, which the Swisstool has. The Swisstool has no pocket clip.
The wave has an optional pocket clip and outside opening blades, although they are one hand opening and locking so that makes it illegal in some countries.
Same goes for the Surge, except for the Clip - And, like the Swisstool, it´s on the heavy side IMO.
I guess if legal in your country, I´d go for the Wave.

Then get the other tools, too. and a Gerber MP 600.  :D

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:20:10 PM by lowtech »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
I thought I'd add that the pocket clip on the Wave is an ADD-ON. it doesn't come with the tool, but doesn't cost that much and is pretty readily available. Easy to find online.

I assume it's the same with the Surge.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Greetings and Welcome,

Pocket carry is a hard one since the Surge is a beast and while a pocket clip can be used ( sloppy fitting on mine ) only you know if the size and weight would work.  The Wave IMO is the clear winner since its and effortless pocket carry. 

OHO tools is a toss up depending on needs but IMO Surge wins soundly due to the blade exchanger and awl.

I do like the plier head of the Swisstool tho because of the bluntish tip.

The tool sets are a bit differnt but I like the large philips driver on the Swisstool and the crate lifter/"pry tool" is awesome. 

The Diamond file on the Surge and Wave is very nice to have and the bit holder is awesome. 

I dont have a powerlock or assist so I cannot say anything.  I say go handle these tools and see what works in your pocket but if OHO tools are a must then you will be disappointed with the Swisstools.  I love mine but not enough to carry it over the Surge or Wave for work, maybe day off carry tho. 

IMG_3451.jpg
* IMG_3451.jpg (Filesize: 219.03 KB)
IMG_3452.jpg
* IMG_3452.jpg (Filesize: 200.07 KB)
IMG_3453.jpg
* IMG_3453.jpg (Filesize: 46.97 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
The Swisstool has the highest build quality , and implement density . Leatherman makes a nice tool , and are the obvious choice if you like OHO . Not a SOG fan here . A Swisstool Spirit X is another good choice , and is easy to pocket carry .

Chris

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
I pocket EDC the new Surge with pocket clip, rock on!
(It kicks Swisstool's butt....) ;)
It is big and heavy, better think it through before pulling the trigger.
If you havent EDC a MT in the pass, and start EDC Surge right off the bat, would be difficult to get use to its weight.

Welcome to MTO.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
The SwissTool is a beautiful piece of art.  The F&F cannot be touched by other manufacturers, and it has a fantastic tool load out.  Saying that though, it really is a sheath carry MT.  For a pocket friendly MT, the Wave or Charge series really is hard to beat.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
The SwissTool is a beautiful piece of art.  The F&F cannot be touched by other manufacturers, and it has a fantastic tool load out.  Saying that though, it really is a sheath carry MT.  For a pocket friendly MT, the Wave or Charge series really is hard to beat.
Agree.
You can add Niteize clip on Swisstool for pocket carry if you like.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The Spirit is another great tool  :tu: small enough to pocket carry but like the Swisstool no OHO tools.  It's thinner than the Wave and you will have to work out the pocket clip thing as it doesn't come with one and their isnt a Vic pocket clip accessory.

Lynn is right in saying the pocket clip for LM is an accessory however it not expensive and is a great accessory.  I'd also like to mention the NEW Surge has the replaceable wire cutters so this tool still gets my vote ( I have the old plier head version ).

Both LM and Vic have other options I've shown.  LM bit kit and extender with fit both Wave and Surge.  The blade exchanger for the Surge is so sweet and the new one I understand is better.  Vic offer the Wrench and bits ( I added the 3 silver ones ) I believe you get 6 standard.  There is the L wrench ( pictured ) and a ratchet avail. 

Regular T Shank jig saw blades work great in the New Surge but a simple mod makes them fit in my old one too ( shrink tube).     

IMG_3456.JPG
* IMG_3456.JPG (Filesize: 211.92 KB)
IMG_3056.jpg
* IMG_3056.jpg (Filesize: 124.63 KB)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:44:58 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Depended on who you are and what you need on daily basis.
As a desk jockey, after Surging for two months, I start feeling it is overkill, considering down grade to Wave.
Surge stay in Computer case for emergency or outdoor trips.

I am a bigger fan for LM than Vic because I like the blades on LM.

IMO, Swisstool is good match for ST300, but not Surge. No offence to Vic fans.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:57:00 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Depended on who you are and what you need on daily basis.
As a desk jockey, after Surging for two months, I start feeling it is overkill, considering down grade to Wave.
Surge stay in Computer case for emergency or outdoor trips.

I am a bigger fan for LM than Vic because I like the blades on LM.

I love my Swisstools big time BUT in the end I may very well just be a LM guy.  The F & F is off the charts for the Swisstools and the Quality as well BUT OHO tools on my LM pushes me towards LM.  There is not a tool that I have that has the hand feel of my Swisstools.  Heck Panda get a Surge and a Spirit and you will be covered.  Damn when anyone asks what tool, I want to say get the all the bears; daddy, momma, and baby.
Surge, Spirit, and a Juice or Squirt.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
All the Vic models have the same (different length) blade.
LM (Wave, Charge, Surge) have better blade shape, steel and one hand open.

Still, I love my Vics.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
If I were to have zero tools and needed a tool right now and with the knowledge I have now I'd still pick the Surge and Wave. I wanted the Surge initially but got a deal on the Wave so I went with it.  I love the Wave and even though I have a Charge TTI I love the Wave.  I am glad however that I finally got the Surge but now I itching for the new one.  The Surge has such a great base, the blade exchanger and bit holder plus exchangeable wire cutters.  You really can customize this tool to suit your needs when considering what saws to carry and what bits you may need.  OHO scissors is great and yes the blade length is enough that I stopped carrying a dedicated folder to work.  It comes at a heavy weight so for folks not our in the field it may be a deal breaker.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
If I were to have zero tools and needed a tool right now and with the knowledge I have now I'd still pick the Surge and Wave. I wanted the Surge initially but got a deal on the Wave so I went with it.  I love the Wave and even though I have a Charge TTI I love the Wave.  I am glad however that I finally got the Surge but now I itching for the new one.  The Surge has such a great base, the blade exchanger and bit holder plus exchangeable wire cutters.  You really can customize this tool to suit your needs when considering what saws to carry and what bits you may need.  OHO scissors is great and yes the blade length is enough that I stopped carrying a dedicated folder to work.  It comes at a heavy weight so for folks not our in the field it may be a deal breaker.
That's exactly how I feel. I have 2 TTi's but still prefer to carry the Wave.  :salute:
SAW

us Offline colt 1911

I vote wave ! Especially if it is your first MT
CHEERS

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
WAVE!

us Offline Dale

I'm exactly opposite of you. Sheaths are the only way I carry a MT. I abhor pocket clips... I consider all these as too heavy for pocket carry. The only tool I will pocket carry is the Skeletool. As far as first MT's go. I'm with the majority here. The Wave is an excellent choice.

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline Cogito

I just love the name pandaconda  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98