Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P

RimfireNZ · 549 · 26723

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P
on: March 15, 2014, 12:38:19 AM
Well there's a Jeep thread, but what about us guys that's driver proper 4 wheel drives?  :D (just kidding, I'd love a Wrangler).

Personally I drive a  3.0 turbo diesel '96 Toyoda Hilux. It permanently runs mud tyres as even though I drive it into the city every day I live on a dairy farm, I shoot and drive on a number of dairy farms, I take it deer shooting and I do take it offroading for a bit of fun fairly often (as you might be able to see by the dents and scratches). It's also my tow wagon for my dads boat (when I can steal it) and my dedicated offroader, an 80's Suzuki Samura 413.

Unfortunately my Suzuki has seen much better days. The last outing I did with my brother, we snapped the rear leaf spring and the driveshaft fell out. So it's at the back of my list of projects to try to get fixed up. Either that or I'll throw in the tower and buy another smurfter and stick the winch and tyres on that.

If anyone is interested I have a few offroading vids on my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deYfDLzR0Zc&list=PL8INgtANmJhYqwrC9LvH3kdn8DX8d51sK

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:28:24 AM
While I don't get out as frequently as you do, I love getting my rig a little dirty. I've just been posting in the Jeepers section even though I technically don't belong :D. I drive a 2003 Dodge Durango with the 4.7 V8, not a hardcore rig at all but the V8 in the midsized chassis sure is a good time. I know shes nothing special, but I absolutely love this truck. Goes by Christine, like the possessed Fury in the movie and for the same reason. Sweet looking Toyota, any difference from the American 4Runner other than powertrain?

I know, I know terrible picture with not much going on anddddd with the bike rack still on. But this is the only pic I have on the computer, heading home after a day of mountain biking and decided to fool around a bit first.
047.jpg
* 047.jpg (Filesize: 159.97 KB)
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 02:55:10 AM
While I don't get out as frequently as you do, I love getting my rig a little dirty. I've just been posting in the Jeepers section even though I technically don't belong :D. I drive a 2003 Dodge Durango with the 4.7 V8, not a hardcore rig at all but the V8 in the midsized chassis sure is a good time. I know shes nothing special, but I absolutely love this truck. Goes by Christine, like the possessed Fury in the movie and for the same reason. Sweet looking Toyota, any difference from the American 4Runner other than powertrain?

I know, I know terrible picture with not much going on anddddd with the bike rack still on. But this is the only pic I have on the computer, heading home after a day of mountain biking and decided to fool around a bit first.

Awesome Dodge. We don't see many of those over here. I bet it'd go like the clappers with that engine. I'd love a V8 but gas is over $8 USD a gallon here, and I drive about 500 miles a week… so it wouldn't be a good idea :P

The Hilux Surf is also called the 4runner in different markets. Same truck. They've got the same engine, either a 3.0 turbo diesel or a 3.4 litre petrol V6.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 03:04:36 AM
I'm a huge fan of both the runner and the tacoma, would they both be hiluxes for you guys? I'm going to guess that surf designates the SUV instead of pick-up, right? I don't know if we got the diesel option here, but I very well could be wrong. I think that when its time for her to retire that I may get a Tacoma next. I'm surprised you see any of them at all actually, it seems that dodge doesn't make many waves in markets outside the US.

The engine is fantastically matched to the truck in every aspect, other than the ~10 MPG :facepalm:. It gets up and goes very well with no hesitation, pretty good low end grunt too. Works very well for pulling our boat too!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:30:50 AM
It's going under the knife in two weeks for a suspension overhaul.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 05:07:52 AM
I have a 2003 Hilux ute with the 3.4L petrol V6. It's great to drive as far as power goes but the ride is pretty harsh. Also a bit thirsty at 16 litres per 100km. My 4.0L Falcon does 12.
Thinking about doing the Simpson desert crossing trip in August in it. Not home at the moment but will post a photo later.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:54:44 AM
02 4runner Limited here. It goes through or over just about anything I've come across. In a couple years I want to turn it into a dedicated trail rig. I need something that gets better than 15 miles to the gallon for work.  :(

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 06:58:14 AM
I uses to have a jeep grand Cherokee. Great SUV. The trans went out on it though and kind of turned me off of jeeps for a bit anyway. I just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread. It's good to know that there is love here for other makes.  :tu:

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 07:13:30 AM
I'm a huge fan of both the runner and the tacoma, would they both be hiluxes for you guys? I'm going to guess that surf designates the SUV instead of pick-up, right? I don't know if we got the diesel option here, but I very well could be wrong. I think that when its time for her to retire that I may get a Tacoma next. I'm surprised you see any of them at all actually, it seems that dodge doesn't make many waves in markets outside the US.

The engine is fantastically matched to the truck in every aspect, other than the ~10 MPG :facepalm:. It gets up and goes very well with no hesitation, pretty good low end grunt too. Works very well for pulling our boat too!

I've never seen a tacoma over here, but you're right in saying the SUV is the hilux surf, the pickup is just the hilux. There are some differences like the hillux pickup held onto the solid front axle longer than the surf (I've got independent front suspension :( ). I'm surprised you don't get the diesel option. Maybe gas is just so much cheaper for you guys that they don't bother. I love the torque of the diesel. Never have to change down, it just goes. It's not exactly a rocket ship though.

I think most American cars over here are imported as one offs buy guys that like them. The most common American brand over here is Ford but most of those come from Aussie (the Falcon), and other than that, Jeep.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 07:15:39 AM
02 4runner Limited here. It goes through or over just about anything I've come across. In a couple years I want to turn it into a dedicated trail rig. I need something that gets better than 15 miles to the gallon for work.  :(

Those 3.4 engines get a bad rep for being really thirsty. I know of a couple of guys here that'd ripped them out and put the 3.0 camry engine in instead, or the 4.0 lexus V8. Generally larger engines like that over here when in an SUV are diesel due to gas costing us more than twice what you pay.

Since my Suzuki is so buggered I'm actually thinking of picking up a 3.4 Hilux as they are relatively cheap over here for the older ones (as no one wants to pay to run them :P ). Fuel economy isn't an issue in a dedicated offroader.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 07:17:28 AM
My Ram gets 8 miles per gallon. I would kill to get 15 lol.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 07:18:45 AM

I would LOVE a RAM 1500. But yeah…my whole pay check would go to running it!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:22:10 AM
I only manage because i commute less than 5 miles per day.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 07:23:30 AM
Ouch.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 07:28:33 AM

I've never seen a tacoma over here, but you're right in saying the SUV is the hilux surf, the pickup is just the hilux. There are some differences like the hillux pickup held onto the solid front axle longer than the surf (I've got independent front suspension :( ). I'm surprised you don't get the diesel option. Maybe gas is just so much cheaper for you guys that they don't bother. I love the torque of the diesel. Never have to change down, it just goes. It's not exactly a rocket ship though.

I think most American cars over here are imported as one offs buy guys that like them. The most common American brand over here is Ford but most of those come from Aussie (the Falcon), and other than that, Jeep.
I think the diesel option is slowly making its way over here. The first diesel jeeps are coming out this year from what I've heard. They are supposed to have all the power plus better gas mileage. I can only hope other makers adopt this. I've kinda become a Toyota guy. Knock on wood, but I've had only routine maintenance with my 4runner and my wife's sienna.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 08:35:16 AM
Id kill for an old diesel Hilux pickup here in the states.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 11:06:17 AM
It's probably just easier to import one.  :P

I don't know what the laws are like where you are but here you can import anything older than ten or fifteen years. Newer cars have to be held to a stricter safety standards but older models don't.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 11:19:01 AM
It's probably just easier to import one.  :P

I don't know what the laws are like where you are but here you can import anything older than ten or fifteen years. Newer cars have to be held to a stricter safety standards but older models don't.

Def

I did a little searching and there are a few around. So rest assured everyone is safe.  :D
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 07:58:54 PM
I have a 2003 Hilux ute with the 3.4L petrol V6. It's great to drive as far as power goes but the ride is pretty harsh.

That'll be the leaf springs at the back.

I love diesels too, they're so much nicer to drive than a petrol.

What's wrong with IFS out of interest? It's not like it's bad off road, just look at the Pinzgauer!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 08:01:13 PM
It's because IFS is inherently weaker. Thing is, it's still stronger than what 90% of people will ever need anyway, and that remaining 10% just go out and buy 30 year old CJ's anyway. People just need something to cry about.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 08:10:53 PM
Wah.

I prefer a solid front axle because the places I work on a regular basis would kill IFS in no time.  I've seen it happen and I have had to replace too many front ends out of my own poscket to put my faith in anything less.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 08:58:06 PM
You also get far less flex with IFS.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:25 PM
What?!?!?!?! IFS weak? That's non-sense I've only had mine fully rebuilt 3 (soon to be 4) times in the ten years since my truck was built ::) :rofl:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 12:56:05 AM
"90% of people" largely consists of people who never venture any place more harsh that the shopping mall. Outside of those, then you have people who "off-road" by driving through a field once or twice during their ownership. The people who use their truck as an actual truck, and who actually off-road, is in the vast minority of buyers. It makes more sense to go IRS for the better ride and handling on the road where these vehicles will spend their entire lives.

For us remaining 10%? There's buying used. Sucks, but realities of a market where everybody wants a truck, when almost none of them actually needs a truck, so they demand their truck drives like a car, or they'll buy someone else's truck.

All things considered, I think manufacturers have done about as well as they can in making IFS setups as capable as they can, while keeping up with market realities.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:59:49 AM by thebullfrog »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 01:50:33 AM
^^^ Well said!  Companies are much better off making a comfortable truck then a capable one.  The Wrangler is honestly about the only 4x4 sold that has a solid following of people that will take it into the woods.  For a daily driver, I'd much prefer IFS/IRS, but I like to go in the woods 3-4 times a month (usually 2-3), so I want the added capability of SFA/SRA. 

One of the guys I wheel with has an Xterra, which is close in size to my Grand Cherokee, and he runs disconnected up front, but has a hard time going through spots that I can walk through connected.

The thing is, when it comes to driving home at the end of the run, he has a slightly nicer ride. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 03:05:48 PM
I'll start by saying I'm not trying to pick a fight here.

Is independent suspension weaker by design or weaker because it's typically used in vehicles that aren't expected to require it built tough so it's built cheap, light and comfortable? I just can't see why they'd use fully independent on what is probably the best off road vehicle on the planet if it was inherently bad. I can also see lots of potential off road benefits of an independent suspension system done well.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
Think about it this way:

When you have a solid front axle you have a solid bar under the frame and fragile engine bits.  When you hit uneven terrain the solid axle lifts all of the expensive bits out of the way.

IFS means that the wheels can move independently of the frame and engine bits, which means the wheel lifts but the frame and expensive bits stay lower with nothing to protect them from rocks or other nastiness.

That makes an axle safer.

Now compare the solid axle, which is constructed of fewer, heavier parts to IFS which is made from a larger number of lighter parts with more moving parts and hinge points.  Which would you rather put your faith in?

IFS is good enough for daily use and some occasional off roading, but for serious use you really do need a solid axle.  Look at all the heavy duty pick up trucks on the market or industrial trucks- all have solid axles because IFS just isn't strong enough.

As for why I need a solid axle, I drive off road for work all the time.  Trailer yards, train yards and places where heavy equipment is common really put a strain on a vehicle.  Most of the vehicles used by everyone else there are large pickups like Dodge Rams, F150's and GMC/Chev HD's.  I drive the small, economical vehicle in relation to everyone else!  :P

Def

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 03:50:29 PM
I think Cupboard is still slightly correct. IFS could be built up a lot more durable and useful than it often comes from the factory, but just about any time it is put into a 4x4 it is to make that vehicle ride better and nothing else. So its a combination of inherently weaker design, matched to no desire to improve upon its capabilities unfortunately.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 11:01:44 PM
When you hit uneven terrain the solid axle lifts all of the expensive bits out of the way.

:tu:

I'd still buy a Pinzgauer ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 11:13:09 PM
Me too, but I'll bet the ride quality isn't that badly improved over either of my solid axle Jeeps!  :P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%