Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P

RimfireNZ · 549 · 27386

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P
Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 11:58:04 PM

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 03:58:21 AM
New life plan: Buy one of those and live in it.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 08:47:58 PM
That sounds like an awesome idea  :tu:

I'm sorry, I've completely hijacked this thread, please go and talk about trucks and things  :pok:

Oh, incidentally, leaves or coils for your suspension? Leaves are tougher, coils typically give you better articulation.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 08:59:48 PM
I thought this was gonna be a photo thread. >:(

Now:  Less and more

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 10:14:26 PM
I love that old Rover Nate!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 10:46:33 PM

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 12:58:28 AM

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 01:02:40 AM
I love that old Rover Nate!

Def

It is an awesome truck.  Sadly, it isn't very practical as a daily driver.  It has 4 wheel drum brakes and a whopping 67 HP.  The way people drive now, the cut in front, not leaving enough stopping space for 1960's brake systems.  I wish video camera recordings could be used in court.  >:( :(

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 04:25:38 AM
I haven't got it off road, yet, but we got a Subaru Outback last week. Nice rides so far on here :tu: The boys at Top Gear put that Hilux through the ringer a few years back IIRC. Tough piece of machinery!¡!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:46:03 AM by stealth007s »
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 04:43:23 AM
In Philippines I drive a 1996 Samurai LWB, sitting on 35's

And in US the wife drives a built Taco. No pictures of it though :(

Edit:

IFS will never be as stout as a solid axle, but they can be built. This little Zuk Sidekick is a prime example. This thing has been wheeled all over North America, Level 3+ trails. Anybody who has ever watched Baja or Dakar knows that IFS built correctly (far from cheap!) can definitely do an admirable job.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:53:44 AM by dmanuel »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 11:38:43 AM
I suppose that's the point, isn't it?  IFS can be built strong enough, but the cost in both dollars and weight aren't worth it for most manufacturers to do it on production vehicles, most of which will rarely see more than a dirt road.

A note about most of the Dakar racers- significant amounts of weight have been cut out of those to increase speed and efficiency.  Also, they aren't built with longevity in mind.  Yes, they are expensive and take a pounding during the race, but they aren't subjected to the same long term stresses that a production vehicle is subjected to, and they have significantly more maintenance time than most production vehicles too.  A full service mechanic available 24/7 isn't in most people's budgets.

Nate- any thoughts on upgrading that old Rover underneath?  New (modern) brakes, maybe a small block Chev under the hood?  That could give that classy old girl some serious punch.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 11:42:42 AM
Love that Zuk!!!  :tu:  Some other sweet looking rigs in here guys!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 12:33:37 PM
I suppose that's the point, isn't it?  IFS can be built strong enough, but the cost in both dollars and weight aren't worth it for most manufacturers to do it on production vehicles, most of which will rarely see more than a dirt road.

A note about most of the Dakar racers- significant amounts of weight have been cut out of those to increase speed and efficiency.  Also, they aren't built with longevity in mind.  Yes, they are expensive and take a pounding during the race, but they aren't subjected to the same long term stresses that a production vehicle is subjected to, and they have significantly more maintenance time than most production vehicles too.  A full service mechanic available 24/7 isn't in most people's budgets.

Nate- any thoughts on upgrading that old Rover underneath?  New (modern) brakes, maybe a small block Chev under the hood?  That could give that classy old girl some serious punch.

Def

People do a lot of those things, but really, if you want a "Modern" Series Rover, the thing to do, IN THEORY ;) :D

Is go to the UK, buy a used Defender, disassemble it, ship over the pieces in time separated crates, get the pieces back to the US and then reassemble you Series Rover with updated Defender pieces. The frames are almost identical so not much fitment problems.

In the 90's, a popular conversion was the Chevy "Iron Duke" 4 cyl.  There was a guy in Virginia who made adaptors for it.  Sadly, they weren't highly reliable. (Lots of broken axles)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 12:34:28 PM
In Philippines I drive a 1996 Samurai LWB, sitting on 35's

(Image removed from quote.)

And in US the wife drives a built Taco. No pictures of it though :(

That's a great rig!

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 02:12:54 PM

Def

All very true and great points. I just hate to see IFS constantly run down because people have next to no experience with a properly built system. Plenty of Toyotas, Suzukis, and other 4x4's on the trail that have survived with IFS. Of course there is a reason that every hardcore offroad rig is running larger axles and beefier suspensions. 90%+ of the stock suspensions/axles can't handle serious abuse (Fordyce, Moab, Rubicon, etc) for very long. Heck, I've seen D60's snap under 2 Door Wranglers.

Love that Zuk!!!  :tu:  Some other sweet looking rigs in here guys!

That's a great rig!

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get this thing shipped to the US to start restoring the interior. Just not looking forward to the bill that comes with either one of those!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 02:26:02 PM
I'm not running down IFS for the sake of running it down, not am I saying that an axle is the be all end all.  Just for me, and the work I do, I need something tougher than average, whether I go off road on weekends or not.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 02:30:09 PM
I'm not running down IFS for the sake of running it down, not am I saying that an axle is the be all end all.  Just for me, and the work I do, I need something tougher than average, whether I go off road on weekends or not.

Def

Sometimes the axle case is the best tow point, just sayin'....

ph Offline dmanuel

Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 02:43:19 PM

Def

:tu: Couldn't ask for a better reason to own and praise a system than that right there!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 11:35:18 PM

Def

Sometimes the axle case is the best tow point, just sayin'....

Yup, tow starting something often the easiest way it to lob a chain round the axle. Couldn't do that with IFS.

My boss has just got back from a jaunt to look at a second hand Unimog. He wants a new toy  :facepalm:
I'm quite looking forward to it  :ahhh   :drool:

Edit: I hadn't realised the Humvee had IFS too.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:41:48 PM by Cupboard »

gb Offline Pignut71

Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P
Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 11:55:52 PM
Here's my 1987 Suzuki SJ410. Two owners from new, I've had it since 2005. Love it! (It's my fifth SJ).

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: March 19, 2014, 12:06:13 AM
Is this thread for people who actual take their 4x4's off road, or can those who simply own 4x4's to compensate for their shortcomings elsewhere join in?

If it's the latter, then here's mine: :P

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 19, 2014, 12:37:42 AM
I hate Ford, but I love those things.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: March 19, 2014, 12:38:21 AM
Nice Raptor Bob! How come you didn't get the orange one?  :D

Def

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #53 on: March 19, 2014, 12:48:18 AM
Is this thread for people who actual take their 4x4's off road, or can those who simply own 4x4's to compensate for their shortcomings elsewhere join in?

That's a real looker! I've not seen one of those over here before. Are they some version of the F series of trucks or is it different?

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: March 19, 2014, 12:50:51 AM
Yep, it's built off the F-150. And they are undeniably bad-ass. Basically think "desert Pre-runner from the factory you can get at any Ford dealership."

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: March 19, 2014, 01:46:32 AM

Sure, sure, but what kind of gas mileage does it get? :whistle:

nice truck

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:43 AM

Probably still better than my '82 Caprice ever got.  That's a car I took through fields and dirt roads on occasion.  I even got it completely airborne once.....  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 02:09:30 AM
Thanks! Gas mileage isn't too bad, as long as I do my part and don't get heavy-footed. :angel:

Nice Raptor Bob! How come you didn't get the orange one?  :D

Def

'Cause I'm not a 15-year old. ::)  (good lord are those orange ones ever gaudy) :facepalm:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: March 19, 2014, 02:49:20 AM

Probably still better than my '82 Caprice ever got.  That's a car I took through fields and dirt roads on occasion.  I even got it completely airborne once.....  :)

1968 Pontiac Catalina.  4 door, 3 speed on the column, no power nuthin'.  No radio*; No air conditioning.

Just 375 HP 428 cu in 4bbl carb strapped to a frame.

My Dad bought it new and I drove it through college and the first year of med school.  Had to find a smaller car; there were no parking spaces big enough for it. 

It was known as "The Blue Tuna Boat"

*In 1981, my little brother and I installed a cassette radio and rear speakers in that beast.

It looked like this one, but without the fancy rims.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 03:18:52 PM
I had an '81 Catalina in 2000. I drive halfway across Canada in it. What a great traveling car- I never felt a bump all the way across the country!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%