Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P

RimfireNZ · 549 · 27857

de Online matzesu

Re: Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P
Reply #420 on: October 06, 2017, 08:58:02 PM
As the old fenders of our Unimog where pretty rusty and the rear fenders slowly startet to rot away, whe decidet to change they whit New ones, and a Pulver Survace instead of a regular paint job
Also the front bumper got this Pulver surface and looks now pretty good..
Mercedes Benz Unimog 406 U900, 84 hp, 6 metric Liter 6 Zylinder Diesel Engine, about 3700 metric Kilogramm (7400 pounts)

Some pictures

Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #421 on: October 07, 2017, 12:25:10 AM
I flipped casually through this thread before posting. Some very interesting and very nice machines out there.

Mine have been nothing special, although that may change.

The big old "Jaws Sheriff Brody Chevy Blazer" is what sparked my interest as a kid. Have loved those ever since Never had one of that vintage, but have had two of the 90's versions, one of which I still have. It's like driving my sofa around and has pulled many another vehicle out of the snow.

Also loved the Jeep CJ but it takes a lot more to get one of those outfitted to carry kayaks on the "roof." So for Jeep I prefer the XJ. Never got one of those either. Happened to get a Grand Cherokee WJ 1999. That was great, too, but ended up selling it.

Newer Jeeps (except Wrangler) and Chevy trucks (including x-Blazers now known as Tahoes) seem to want to scrape the ground with their front bumpers and air dams in comparison to the older stuff, so I intend to keep my '93 big Blazer and keep repairing.

I suppose in my perfect world I would own four vehicles at once:

1) full sized old Chevy Blazer (any, 1970-1994). I have one now
2) Jeep Cherokee XJ (1985-2001)
3) Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ ('93-98- the ones that were intended to be the replacement for the original XJ). Or WJ ('99-2004)
4) Subaru Forrester late 90's to early 2000's, standard shift

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:26:44 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #422 on: October 07, 2017, 12:29:54 AM
'93 Blazer.

00T0T_jC3icTJaA2M_600x450.jpg
* 00T0T_jC3icTJaA2M_600x450.jpg (Filesize: 16.51 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #423 on: October 07, 2017, 12:31:09 AM
Yikes!

Not a great pic. I'll get another one later. Meanwhile here is the interior

00O0O_cObCHaTvjb7_600x450.jpg
* 00O0O_cObCHaTvjb7_600x450.jpg (Filesize: 14.46 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #424 on: October 07, 2017, 12:41:16 AM
My account picture is my Beagle in the back seat of this Blazer.

I can live out of this Blazer for a week at a time or more, and have done so. These were originally made from the short wheelbase pickup trucks that Chevy offered. If I'm camping alone I can fold down the back seat to make a full 8 feet of storage and sleep right in the back, or sit on the tailgate to eat my lunch, or use the tailgate as a table or light to medium duty workbench...

When camping with the little lady, we get ALL our gear and food in the storage back (what would be the bed of the truck), two kayaks atop using a Thule "I" system, two mountain bikes on the very back, and still have the back seat for Scout the ThundahBeagle, snack storage, and any rug rats that care to tag along.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #425 on: October 07, 2017, 01:56:02 AM
As the old fenders of our Unimog where pretty rusty and the rear fenders slowly startet to rot away, whe decidet to change they whit New ones, and a Pulver Survace instead of a regular paint job
Mercedes Benz Unimog 406 U900, 84 hp, 6 metric Liter 6 Zylinder Diesel Engine, about 3700 metric Kilogramm (7400 pounts)

Some pictures

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

smurf me, you've got a mog, you win the non Jeep thread  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #426 on: October 07, 2017, 04:23:46 AM
Still running my Vitara. It rattles in weird places now and it lost the front air dam and "skid plate" somewhere along the way but it just keeps going and going and going.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

de Online matzesu

Reply #427 on: October 07, 2017, 03:07:09 PM
Today whe got done with the work on our Unimog

And a older Picture of this thing at work
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #428 on: October 07, 2017, 04:34:54 PM
 :like:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #429 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:11 PM

Some pictures

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

smurf me, you've got a mog, you win the non Jeep thread  :salute:

I was thinking the same thing! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #430 on: October 13, 2017, 01:31:04 PM
I flipped casually through this thread before posting. Some very interesting and very nice machines out there.

Mine have been nothing special, although that may change.

The big old "Jaws Sheriff Brody Chevy Blazer" is what sparked my interest as a kid. Have loved those ever since Never had one of that vintage, but have had two of the 90's versions, one of which I still have. It's like driving my sofa around and has pulled many another vehicle out of the snow.

Also loved the Jeep CJ but it takes a lot more to get one of those outfitted to carry kayaks on the "roof." So for Jeep I prefer the XJ. Never got one of those either. Happened to get a Grand Cherokee WJ 1999. That was great, too, but ended up selling it.

Newer Jeeps (except Wrangler) and Chevy trucks (including x-Blazers now known as Tahoes) seem to want to scrape the ground with their front bumpers and air dams in comparison to the older stuff, so I intend to keep my '93 big Blazer and keep repairing.

I suppose in my perfect world I would own four vehicles at once:

1) full sized old Chevy Blazer (any, 1970-1994). I have one now
2) Jeep Cherokee XJ (1985-2001)
3) Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ ('93-98- the ones that were intended to be the replacement for the original XJ). Or WJ ('99-2004)
4) Subaru Forrester late 90's to early 2000's, standard shift

You don't need a roof rack, you need a trailer!

It's a hell of a lot easier to get the boats on a trailer at the end of the day than to get them up on the roof anyway!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #431 on: October 13, 2017, 05:43:04 PM
The other big danger with roof racks is people overload them and in the process significantly raise the centre of gravity, sometimes with disastrous results.

Even though my roof rack is fixed to the roll cage and therefore the chassis, it's weight limit is still 200kg. Exactly the same as a standard Defender. The roll cage by it's design will support the full weight of the vehicle.

As Def points out loading my roof rack is a pain, it's 7ft off the ground  :facepalm:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #432 on: October 13, 2017, 06:49:58 PM
The other big danger with roof racks is people overload them and in the process significantly raise the centre of gravity, sometimes with disastrous results.

Even though my roof rack is fixed to the roll cage and therefore the chassis, it's weight limit is still 200kg. Exactly the same as a standard Defender. The roll cage by it's design will support the full weight of the vehicle.

As Def points out loading my roof rack is a pain, it's 7ft off the ground  :facepalm:

I actually considered buying a Hummer H2 at one point, but was seriously concerned about having to lift my kayaks 7 feet in the air.   :facepalm:

Besides, I can put a fridge, stove, washer and dryer in my utility trailer- try that with a roof rack!   :ahhh

Def

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #433 on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:25 PM

I actually considered buying a Hummer H2 at one point, but was seriously concerned about having to lift my kayaks 7 feet in the air.   :facepalm:

Besides, I can put a fridge, stove, washer and dryer in my utility trailer- try that with a roof rack!   :ahhh

Def

Hummers ain't practical (although they are cheap now) and yeah you're spot on about the trailer.

I was going to get one this year but I've delayed it until next. There's a nice little South African trailer available in the UK called the Venter Savuti, for the price they're pretty unbeatable. Plus you can load then up with a fridge etc.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:18:29 PM by Smashie »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #434 on: October 13, 2017, 08:20:37 PM
That is pretty sweet.  I wasn't sure what it was, so I looked it up.  Very cool indeed!

When I said I could put appliances in my trailer, I meant I could move appliances when they break down and need to be replaced, not as a permanent thing to take on adventures!  :D

I have an Apache Ramada for that, although it is somewhat more fragile than what you are looking at.  I had considered maybe building something like THIS into my utility trailer since it's pretty solid and has been on many adventures with me.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #435 on: October 14, 2017, 11:32:42 AM
Today whe got done with the work on our Unimog
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

And a older Picture of this thing at work
(Image removed from quote.)
:like:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #436 on: January 12, 2018, 01:33:29 PM
so I was looking for a picture of a Troll (long story)  and found this:

http://www.troller.com.br/

Wikipedia "The Troller T4 is a four-wheel drive vehicle made by Troller Veículos Especiais S/A. It is available only as a two-door car with a fibreglass body and steel chassis, with a design inspired by the Jeep. It has standard 4WD, a 5-speed Eaton manual transmission and Dana axles. The engine is a 3.0 L turbo Diesel built by MWM and was introduced in 2004.[1][2]

Ford Motor Company purchased Troller in 2007. In 2014, the Troller T4 received a major redesign, is now being built on a shortened version of Ford's T6 platform for the global Ranger. The current version looks more like the modern form of the Jeep Wrangler and early model Ford Bronco "

They also remind me of the Toyotas too..

Is it wrong to say they look nice?

I do not recall seeing them before.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #437 on: January 12, 2018, 01:44:05 PM
Nope, not seen that one before as far as I can recall.  I think the look is interesting, if not attractive.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #438 on: January 12, 2018, 02:51:27 PM
Looks a bit under-tyred.

Difficult to judge build quality, but it does look like it would undress itself on some of our roads!  :rofl:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #439 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:15 PM
Looks more rough and tumble than most of Jeeps current offerings to be honest. Angle of approach/ front air dam are certainly seems more appropriate for a 4x4 than the new Murano - I mean, New Cherokee.

Chevy is bringing back the Blazer, but it's going to be a soccer mom cross-over. For shame.

Ford is bringing back the Bronco in the next year and a half. They better get it right and make it a short wheelbase, high angle of approach, high clearance, two door goat! I'd even accept a 4 door, if all the other requirements are met

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #440 on: January 31, 2018, 06:23:49 PM
not bad.  I am surprised they bothered to do that with a vehicle in this market segment

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #441 on: January 31, 2018, 10:31:11 PM
Awesome job.

Too bad about the bumper though!   :ahhh

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #443 on: February 14, 2018, 01:38:47 PM
At what point does an off roader become far too valuable to get dirty? 

We have recently been discussing the Jaguar F-Pace and how it is priced quite reasonably versus the new Jeeps.  Locally the replacement for my Jeep (new model with the same specs) would cost almost $55,000 CAN, while one can get a reasonably well appointed Jaguar F-Pace for more than $10k less at $43,995.  My question then is, who would buy a Jeep given that option?  I mean, the Jag is a Jag, which currently is ranked as one of the brands with the highest levels of quality in the world, it is more fuel efficient and has a higher towing capacity.

Jeep on the other hand is well known for being a money pit at best, made from the cheapest components possible and assembled by folks who are barely literate.

Megan had one point to make about that in the Jeep's favor, and that is that a Jeep with a few scratches is respectable, while a Jag with a few scratches is worthless.  And, I hate to say it, but she is right on that point, but then how few of either will ever see any more than a dirt road?  Of course, for an extra $10k, you can get an awful lot of small dent repairs and repaints done.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #444 on: February 14, 2018, 01:55:54 PM
Where is Jag ranked, independently (not in a publication they pay for ads)  as one of the brands with the highest levels of quality in the world?  Unless this was tongue in cheek. :)  (They are in the same group as Land rover)

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/Jaguar/F-PACE/2017

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2017-Initial-Quality-Study/2410ENG/Midsize-SUV/1085

The F-Pace is last in initial quality (a good sign of problems to come) and is even beaten by the LR Discovery sport:

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2017-Initial-Quality-Study/2410ENG/Compact-Premium-SUV/1080

Definitely has more prestige as a soft roader, and you can say "get the Jag" 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #445 on: March 11, 2018, 08:22:53 PM
Used as a towing vehicle
IMG_1240.JPG
* IMG_1240.JPG (Filesize: 223.09 KB)
IMG_1241.JPG
* IMG_1241.JPG (Filesize: 226.42 KB)

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #446 on: March 11, 2018, 10:10:39 PM
At what point does an off roader become far too valuable to get dirty? 

We have recently been discussing the Jaguar F-Pace and how it is priced quite reasonably versus the new Jeeps.  Locally the replacement for my Jeep (new model with the same specs) would cost almost $55,000 CAN, while one can get a reasonably well appointed Jaguar F-Pace for more than $10k less at $43,995.  My question then is, who would buy a Jeep given that option?  I mean, the Jag is a Jag, which currently is ranked as one of the brands with the highest levels of quality in the world, it is more fuel efficient and has a higher towing capacity.

Jeep on the other hand is well known for being a money pit at best, made from the cheapest components possible and assembled by folks who are barely literate.

Megan had one point to make about that in the Jeep's favor, and that is that a Jeep with a few scratches is respectable, while a Jag with a few scratches is worthless.  And, I hate to say it, but she is right on that point, but then how few of either will ever see any more than a dirt road?  Of course, for an extra $10k, you can get an awful lot of small dent repairs and repaints done.

Def

Well the Rolls isn't out yet (I don't think) and I'm going to ignore new cars purely because of depreciation. So a quick search landed this. Not at all expensive for what is basically an Audi Q7  :rofl:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #447 on: March 12, 2018, 02:30:45 AM
Where is Jag ranked, independently (not in a publication they pay for ads)  as one of the brands with the highest levels of quality in the world?  Unless this was tongue in cheek. :)  (They are in the same group as Land rover)

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/Jaguar/F-PACE/2017

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2017-Initial-Quality-Study/2410ENG/Midsize-SUV/1085

The F-Pace is last in initial quality (a good sign of problems to come) and is even beaten by the LR Discovery sport:

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/study/2017-Initial-Quality-Study/2410ENG/Compact-Premium-SUV/1080

Definitely has more prestige as a soft roader, and you can say "get the Jag"

I'm with DKS on this issue.  In some recent road tests I've read the testers express surprise if a new Jag can get through a relatively short road test (ie days, not weeks) without a significant failure/QC issue.  And these are cars that have been specially prepared for a road test, so presumably better than the examples sold to the public !    IMO they currently fall into the "nice to drive but horrible to own" category (rather like 70's Alfa Romeos).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #448 on: March 12, 2018, 02:09:06 PM
Well, that's it, I finally found what it takes to stop my Koleos.  Turns out it's axle deep packed snow.  Not soft enough to ignore and push through, but not hard enough to support the weight of the car. :-[  About half an hour of digging and lot of pushing from my mates and we were free and clear and looking for somewhere else to park. :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #449 on: March 24, 2018, 06:23:48 PM

a LR for forum owners

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%