Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P 14257

Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 60,136 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Any Non-Jeepers Out There (4x4s)? :P
« Reply #480 on: August 16, 2018, 01:34:32 PM »
That  is a nice looking rig indeed- very much like a mini G Wagon!  I like it a lot!

Too bad the Jimny has never been officially imported into North America.  I'll bet most people here have never even heard of that model.

Def

Sr. Member Posts: 499
« Reply #481 on: August 16, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
Recently sold this

And bought this

Amazing how much more roomy and solid the Cruiser feels than the 4runner to me!
Same basic drivetrain too but again the Cruiser is just more refined all around in use.
The thing is a BEAST though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:56:53 PM by ezdog »
Wielder of the Bow of Banishment. Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 30,581 El Presidente del Fan Club Micky D
« Reply #482 on: August 16, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »
 :tu:

Sr. Member Posts: 499
« Reply #483 on: August 16, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
The truck you know as the Land Cruiser was originally a cheap copy of a Jeep and it was called... and I swear I am not making this up.... the BJ.

Jeep sued Toyota, claiming that the name was too close to the CJ, which was quite popular at the time, which is, of course, why Toyota wanted to copy it.  Jeep won the lawsuit and Toyota was forced to change the name, and, since they were no longer allowed to copy Jeep, they decided to copy Land Rover instead and came up with Land Cruiser.

So one could say that nowadays you can't get a BJ because Toyota gave up too easily and moved on....  :facepalm:

Def

Amusing but not entirely accurate either although the name is!
Classic too.

Toyota was commissioned to build a Willys knockoff by the U.S. Government of all sources after the Korean Conflict and that is how the CJ was cloned into the "BJ".

Bizarre story for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser
No Life Club Posts: 3,063
« Reply #484 on: August 16, 2018, 03:06:08 PM »
1500 motor and lots of electronic gizmos like the big boys........but check some of the videos, Zook driving around in gutters seemingly as deep as the car is high!  :cheers:
No Life Club Posts: 3,063
« Reply #485 on: August 16, 2018, 03:16:24 PM »
That  is a nice looking rig indeed- very much like a mini G Wagon!  I like it a lot!

Too bad the Jimny has never been officially imported into North America.  I'll bet most people here have never even heard of that model.

Def

Serious?  :think:

But they did sell the SJ/Samurai in the US  :think:  My zook is basically a SJ413 with a more modern engine and 5-spd gearbox......less some refinement and build quality since it comes from India (Maruti)

Two of the best SJ rebuilds I followed are both in the US....
Head Turd Polisher Administrator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 60,136 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #486 on: August 18, 2018, 03:47:09 AM »
Yes the Samurai was sold here but it wasn't that popular, and they were discontinued long ago- mid to late 80's maybe?

Sadly they suffered badly from rust and there was a very persistent rumor that they would roll over easily in a turn and so folks really didn't buy too many of them.  The Tracker/Sidekick was much more popular when it debuted, as was the Vitara that it eventually morphed into, but even those are long gone.  I don't think they survived too long into the new millennium.

I had an '87 GMC rebranded Tracker in the late 90's.  It had 300,000kms on it and had been left out in the weather for months with no top on it.  I picked it up for $400 and put a lot of work into rebuilding the body before it was stolen.  It didn't have anywhere near the power that my Jeeps do, but then it also didn't have the weight!  Man we punished that thing and it kept coming back for more.  That little 1.3L sewing machine under the hood was a lot tougher than anyone gave it credit for!

Def

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,293 Gone Fishing

dks cy

« Reply #488 on: September 04, 2018, 10:03:19 AM »
Did quite a bit of driving over prety rough dirt trucks, nothing that necessitated low gear, but rough roads used by offroaders/tractors, with sharp stones, rocks in the middle and so on. The car coped very well, and the ground clearance was beter than I expected. My main worry was the stree based tyres.

The car was getting dirty daily for several weeks

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

dks cy

« Reply #489 on: September 10, 2018, 06:44:35 PM »

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

dks cy

« Reply #490 on: September 28, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »

New Suzuki Jimny - I like it

« Reply #491 on: September 28, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »
The Jimny looks really cool.  I wish we got them here.  I feel like they would be very popular.

Def

dks cy

« Reply #492 on: September 28, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
ladder frame...  :)

No Life Club Posts: 4,320 Smurf it!
« Reply #493 on: September 28, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »
I do like the little Suzukis, this one I saw last year and it's pretty serious

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's razor

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $154.00
PayPal Fees: $9.19
Net Balance: $144.81
Below Goal: $130.19
Site Currency: USD
53% 
November Donations

Community Links