Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My First SAK Mod Pt 1

n4vgm · 15 · 3432

us Offline n4vgm

My First SAK Mod Pt 1
on: March 16, 2014, 03:16:48 AM
This is the result of many hours of lurking, reading, pondering & acquiring and I can take little credit for the results since it would have been a frustrating event with and unusable tool without the resources of the Fine Forum!  :salute:

It still was frustrating but at least the tool is usable!  :climber:

I’ll have to split this up to get all the pictures. Sorry that some are fuzzy. I picked up three cheap SAKs on ebay, paying a total of $18.45 for all including shipping. They were a Fisherman, a Deluxe Tinker & a Climber, each with “issues” but 95% usable parts.

My goal was to make a tool with the following layers.

Opener(s) + Awl
Pliers
Scissors + Hook
Small Blade / Metal File + Corkscrew
Tweezer & Toothpick

I own a Vic Sportsman and really like the nail file but hate the lack of scissors. So after much investigation I thought I would create something different. Since I am a Librarian and work for a County Government I really do not need the large blade but the scissors I use all the time, the pliers will be handy plucking bits of paper out of the copier and the file for my fingernails since only last year did I stop biting them. Also the longer metal file/saw will help me with the odd craft we sometimes build.

Picture 1 is the tray of disassembled SAKs, each CAREFULLY laid out for me to keep track of layers & liners. This is before I totally cleaned each part with soap and steel wool. My wife still thinks I’m nuts for actually touching used SAKs, but I’m no germophobe!

Picture 2 is  the problem of the file resting on the small blade spacer/ring. What I did was to cut the spacer and file it down. Then I found that I had filed too much off and the file sat too low, blocking the nail nick. This turned out to be good in it’s own way.

Picture 3 - I thought this over and finally tried some thin aluminum material (from a can) and made a shim the slid down next to the scissors base and then has a wee strip folded over to not only raise up the file tip but also to force it away from the small blade, like a little ramp. Hope you can see what I mean in the pic. I also used the same material to fashion a thin washer that went next to the base of the metal file to take up some space and keep the base pushed to the side.

The use of this aluminum can is a tribute to my departed Father, Heinz Wilhelm Otto Zimmerman who was a Machinist and quite often would use beer can material in such ways. Thanks Dad! :salute:

Picture 4 is how I peened the pins before assembly. This tip is from MTO Member PTRSAK and I mention this because getting the first end peened without bending the bronze was an issue that concerned me. His method works like a charm!

Couple of funny things happened at this point. I put the tool together using the short, peened pins and you will see in the next segment my error. Fortunately I noticed it before peening the other side!
1-Tray of Tools.jpg
* 1-Tray of Tools.jpg (Filesize: 147.33 KB)
2-File tip.jpg
* 2-File tip.jpg (Filesize: 146.74 KB)
3-File tip mod.jpg
* 3-File tip mod.jpg (Filesize: 16.08 KB)
4-Drill and hammer.jpg
* 4-Drill and hammer.jpg (Filesize: 92.97 KB)

us Offline n4vgm

My First SAK Mod Pt 2
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:23 AM
Picture 5 is how the drill/hammer peening turns out.

Picture 6 is my mistake. I bet most members will see it right away. If not, just ponder it for a while.

I took it apart and reassembled only to find that I had put the pliers in upside down!  :facepalm: So, dis and reassembling I finally got it correct.

Picture 7 is how I taped up the tool for filing the pins. I used painter’s tape. I did not want a bunch of metal dust getting into the workings.

Picture 8 shows the finished peening/filing.
5-Drill hammer results.jpg
* 5-Drill hammer results.jpg (Filesize: 6.06 KB)
6-Mistake.jpg
* 6-Mistake.jpg (Filesize: 18.1 KB)
7-Paint tape.jpg
* 7-Paint tape.jpg (Filesize: 19.2 KB)
8-Finished peening.jpg
* 8-Finished peening.jpg (Filesize: 27.74 KB)

us Offline n4vgm

My first SAK Mod Pt 3
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:35:32 AM
Picture 9 shows the main tools open.

Picture 10 is a shot of the Teflon Lube I use. I started using this long ago on my drum set. The best lube for drum pedals! From Radio Shack.

Pictures 11 & 12 are of the completed “Librarian.” Hope that name is available or that the tool set is un-named. I was able to use the scales from the donor SAKs and they popped right on with firm hand pressure. I think they are nylon.

The tool has standard snap and I am so happy it turned out so well. I plan to make “something” out of the remaining parts. Perhaps something with the scaler/ruler for the tackle box.

Thanks again for all your help!   :tu:
9-Tools open.jpg
* 9-Tools open.jpg (Filesize: 30.78 KB)
10-Lube.jpg
* 10-Lube.jpg (Filesize: 17.68 KB)
11-Finished front.jpg
* 11-Finished front.jpg (Filesize: 22.22 KB)
12-Finished back.jpg
* 12-Finished back.jpg (Filesize: 20.16 KB)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: My first SAK Mod Pt 3
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:31:38 AM
Great work you did there.  :tu: A SAK for the tackle box is always good. I will never not have one in my tackle box.
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: My First SAK Mod Pt 1
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:22 PM
Great work on your first mod, looks like a very useful tool combination. :tu:

That pins look excellent too. Would never say that was your first peening job. :hatsoff:

BTW, I merged the three topic into this one for easier viewing. Hope you don't mind.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:28 PM
Nice mod! Good work btw.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:05:57 PM
Thanks for merging the three threads, I was not sure how to go about it, posting as three or one + my own replies. Now I see!

Also, a special thanks to MTO Member Reinier for supplying me with "European" brass stock in the correct sizes. Not having to create the smaller rods was a real time saver!   :D

I carried it today and even though it is four layers as opposed to my usual three plus the plier layer I found that I did not notice the difference!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:44:59 PM
Very nice mod :cheers:
I am impressed by your peening skills. Good to see "my" rods are part of this :salute:

BTW remember that big batch of brass rods we talked about? Lost in the mail :(
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 10:51:21 PM
OH NO! That is sad news but I guess your suggestion for me to go direct was the better choice after all. Hope they show up soon.

Poking around the SAKWiki I think what I created is actually a Deluxe Climber with the Large Blade swapped for the Metal File.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 10:59:40 PM
Very nice mod :cheers:
I am impressed by your peening skills. Good to see "my" rods are part of this :salute:

BTW remember that big batch of brass rods we talked about? Lost in the mail :(

Sorry to hear that. Brian's? :-\

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:16:52 PM
(...)
Picture 4 is how I peened the pins before assembly. This tip is from MTO Member PTRSAK and I mention this because getting the first end peened without bending the bronze was an issue that concerned me. His method works like a charm!
(...)

How exactly did you use those two tools toghether? Did you hammer the brass rod while the drill was working, turning the rod?
 :think: :think: :think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 02:45:03 PM
"Did you hammer the brass rod while the drill was working, turning the rod?"

Yes, you clamp a short (slightly longer than you'll need for the number of layers, I used 2cm for 4 layers and clipped off the excess) into the chuck just like a bit, sticking out at least 1/4 inch. Then as the drill is spinning (does not have to be fast) you strike the end of the pin with glancing blows so you are creating a mushroom cap on the end.

I used very light blows at first, not knowing what would happen, but I increased the force because it was taking so long.   :twak:

The pin might creep down into the chuck  :rant: but then you just have to reposition it (several times). You can take the pin out to check you progress by slipping a collar on and viewing how the cap sits in the collar. It will have a bit of a hump on the top but that's just filed off.

Hope that makes sense! Actually, the tricky part of the whole affair is holding the drill whilst keeping your finger on the trigger. I ended up flipping my hand around and using my thumb. That way my wrist was straight.

I would have done a video but lack a head mount or a prehensile tail!

After using it I noticed that the base of the corkscrew is ever so slightly bent but it rides down fine. And the small blade action feels rough but that could be from a rough liner. I filed/sanded them all but might have missed a spot or it could be bent a little.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:50:26 PM by n4vgm »

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 03:31:12 PM
"Did you hammer the brass rod while the drill was working, turning the rod?"

Yes, you clamp a short (slightly longer than you'll need for the number of layers,

This is not necessary. Just take a vice. Put the brass rod in it(maybe secured with some rubber or rests of clothes, for not damaging the sides). And slighly tap around it. Not too much force, just constantly round the circle. Take it out, control it, and correct if needed.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 06:27:09 PM
"Just take a vice"

That was my problem! I do not have a vice but I do have a portable drill!

Whatever works!   

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 07:29:12 PM
 :tu:
Wonderd how you got the metal file in place of the blade. Nice.
Now I wonder hoe easy it would be to replace the small blade with anything else. I like the large blade but not the small one. Wonder how easy(or hard) a 84mm or Wenger file slips into the small blades position?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%