Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Essential Outdoor Reading List.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Essential Outdoor Reading List.
on: June 04, 2008, 02:31:55 PM
Ok boy's and girl's, what book's do you consider to be essential to all outdoorsey folk ???

I'll go first with 2 books I consider field essential book's :) and then a 3rd optional one.

The timeless Sas survival guide :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAS-Survival-Guide-Survive-Anywhere/dp/0007183305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212581473&sr=1-1 Set the standard for all following books :)

Food for free...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Free-Collins-Richard-Mabey/dp/0007183038/ref=pd_sim_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1212581473&sr=1-1 a handy book to have for potential (non running) food source :)

And lastly, this one...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Disaster-Survival-Collins-GEM-Uk/dp/0007247362/ref=pd_sim_b_title_20 Not essential, but a subject we can't really ignore these days :)

So what would you guy's recommend :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:34:22 PM by micky d »
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline FredKJ

Re: Essential Outdoor Reading List.
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:26:59 PM
One of my favorites is by one of those Brits, Colin Fletcher, "The Complete Walker IV".  Aside from being informative he makes a nice enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212585916&sr=8-1

Offline FredKJ

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:43:26 PM
In the gastronomical department I always liked this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Hikers-Book-Good-Cooking/dp/0394707745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212586835&sr=1-1

These aren't survival books.  But then when you are in the outdoors it isn't about survival.  You can actually enjoy it.  In the food department learning how to use a dutch oven can make you a big fan at a campsite.  You can cook everything from cobblers to roasts in those things and do it well. 

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:10:15 PM
Thanks mate, I'm sure I've seen that fletcher one before :think:

Offline FredKJ

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:24:34 PM
Fletcher is a good book and a fun read.  Nothing like the meanderings of an old fart persnickity Brit.   When he comes to discussing survival with it's own section he says there is not much to say as most of the material in the book covers skills you would need in an outdoor survival situation.  Also essential for outdoor books is some stuff on navigation.  I thought about what book is best.  Don't know of one specific one to recommend.  Having a map and compass isn't enough though.  You have to practice.  And a GPS augments a map and compass, doesn't replace it. 

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:30:04 PM
One of my favorites is by one of those Brits, Colin Fletcher, "The Complete Walker IV".  Aside from being informative he makes a nice enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212585916&sr=8-1

Another excellent book by Colin Fletcher is "The Man Who Walked Through Time."

Describes Colin's solo backpack along the length of the Grand Canyon, which he did in the early 1960s IIRC.

Includes some nice pics and maps of the Canyon and lots of good stuff on the planning and logistics of long solo wilderness treks.

N

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 04:34:24 PM
Here's another one, written by my personnel guru, Ray Mears...

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Bushcraft-Raymond-Mears/dp/0340829710/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212589981&sr=1-4

Very fine book, and still just about small enough to take with you on the trail :)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:34:34 PM
Here are a couple that I stuff in the pack whenever I go.

A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine

Six Ways In & 12 Ways Out

And I'd definitely suggest reading Cody Lundin's book.  98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:38:03 PM
Here are a couple that I stuff in the pack whenever I go.

A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine

Six Ways In & 12 Ways Out

And I'd definitely suggest reading Cody Lundin's book.  98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive

Six Ways In And Twelve Ways Out, look's like a good field manual to have, I'll have to add that one to the list cheers :)

The 98.6 I'm gona see if I can order through work ;)

Offline FredKJ

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:42:16 PM
I've read "The Man Who Walked Through Time", excellent.  Not a technical read but gets you in the mood.  One book I generally wouldn't recommend for navigation is Bjorn Kjellstrom's map and compass book.  It's not that it isn't a good book.  It's a bit dated and more directed at sport orienteering. 

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 04:44:05 PM
Ok boy's and girl's, what book's do you consider to be essential to all outdoorsey folk ???

For primitive, live-off-the-land style camping and trekking, everyone should have a look at "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Kephart , published in 1906.

This book is a true classic in the literature of outdoors 'how to' books - Kephart really knew his stuff.

N

Offline FredKJ

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 04:58:59 PM
Just a note on living off the land.  It's good to learn stuff like edible plants in your area or how to build shelters.  Thing is these activities burn a lot of calories.  If you are burning more calories collecting the food than you are getting from it it's generally not a good thing.  It takes a long time to master stuff like edible plants.  Most people don't get to that point.  In an emergency survival situation it's more about stabalizing the situation taking care of protection from the elements and injuries.  Then making those tricky decisions about staying put signalling for help or trying to get out. 

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 05:34:06 PM
Just a note on living off the land.  It's good to learn stuff like edible plants in your area or how to build shelters.  Thing is these activities burn a lot of calories.  If you are burning more calories collecting the food than you are getting from it it's generally not a good thing.  It takes a long time to master stuff like edible plants.  Most people don't get to that point.  In an emergency survival situation it's more about stabalizing the situation taking care of protection from the elements and injuries.  Then making those tricky decisions about staying put signalling for help or trying to get out. 

That's one of the reasons I like Cody's book.  It's more about 72 hour survival... doing what you need to stay alive until rescue (hopefully)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 05:46:43 PM
I have a copy of the US Marines survival guide in PDF form (571 pages). 

If anyone would like a copy, PM me.
- Terry

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 05:50:21 PM
Just a note on living off the land....Then making those tricky decisions about staying put signalling for help or trying to get out. 

I shouldn't have used the phrase "live off the land" because wilderness survival and foraging for food is not what Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft" is about.

It's about the "state of the art" in equipment and technique for wilderness camping and treking - as it was practiced at the turn of the last century (circa 1900.)

Many of the techniques commonly used back then are unethical or illegal to use today on public land.  Nevertheless, the book has a wealth of information on practical woodcraft that is still valuable a century after it was written.

It's especially good for people who like to "roll your own" equipment and take pride in getting by with a minimalist selection of gear.  Maybe to save money, maybe to save weight, maybe for the simple pleasure of building and then using your own stuff out in the wild.

N

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 11:56:20 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAS-Survival-Guide-Survive-Anywhere/dp/0007183305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212581473&sr=1-1 Set the standard for all following books :)

Someone on here got me one of those.  :pok:  :)
I'm back!!

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 09:03:23 AM
Sound's like a very decent sort of fella :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 12:31:11 PM

You would think so wouldn't you?  :-\

:D :D
I'm back!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 05:06:55 PM
What I was getting at is that there are some very good survival manuals.  But the focus should be on mastering basic skills like fire building, navigation etc.  Learn these well and get comfortable with them.  You do that and a survival situation takes care of itself.  Knowing how to use a compass is one thing.  Doing it when you are cold, wet and tired, possibly in pain is another.  Calculating magnetic declination isn't hard but when you are cold, wet, disoriented and tired it's a whole new ballgame.  The more comfortable you are with the basic skills the better they work under adverse conditions. 

Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 06:14:42 PM
What I was getting at is that there are some very good survival manuals.  But the focus should be on mastering basic skills like fire building, navigation etc.  Learn these well and get comfortable with them.  You do that and a survival situation takes care of itself.  Knowing how to use a compass is one thing.  Doing it when you are cold, wet and tired, possibly in pain is another.  Calculating magnetic declination isn't hard but when you are cold, wet, disoriented and tired it's a whole new ballgame.  The more comfortable you are with the basic skills the better they work under adverse conditions. 
I can't argue with that, I used to be out most weekend's practicing my skill's, but I just don't get the time at the weekends to do that now :(, but hopefully now my boy's older, we can do it together :)

Offline FredKJ

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 03:39:48 PM
A good book to have for outdoor stuff is a good reference on navigation.  Here is one.  GPS is nice but should never be used without the fundamentals of map and compass behind it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Wilderness-Navigator-Outdoors-Second/dp/0071361103/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212759337&sr=1-3

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 11:46:19 PM
OK call me funny but I have a ton of survival books, however when I go camping and just want to read a book in the woods. It has to be Walden.... I actually read it at times at work. for I am lucky enough to work only 3 miles from Walden pond.
S

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 08:05:58 AM
I like this book;
SAS_Survival.jpg
* SAS_Survival.jpg (Filesize: 47.95 KB)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 11:34:05 AM

Someone on here got me one of those.  :pok:  :)

What!!!!!!!!!!!

there its just under three pounds?

i gotta get it,and seems like someone is goin to be PM harassed again;)

here the ba*ds take over 20 euros for it plus s&h.

Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 12:43:18 PM
It's well worth the money mate, it's a dry read, but probably the best general field guide you can get :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 01:06:35 PM
do they have it in shops there,nearby u guys?

at about same good price?

Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 01:07:57 PM
do they have it in shops there,nearby u guys?

at about same good price?
PM me your address mate ;)

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:15 PM

You would think so wouldn't you?  :-\

:D :D
Sound like it may have been the same chap who recommended it to me too.Well worth the money

Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 11:23:56 PM
I still think he sound's like a great bloke :)

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 11:25:58 PM
I still think he sound's like a great bloke :)
Couldn't agree more

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD