Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a bright single AA L.E.D flashlight, what's good?

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
I really got into the double 123's first with the surefires, but I'm kinda taking it down a notch, my fav was the Fenix T1, nice knurled grip, defensive bezel, led, rear clicky switch, just too big! So I started looking around and came across those ultrafire Cree zoomable, led ones. Just about perfect for what I wanted nice knurled grip, rear clicky, defensive bezel, super bright, even has a good clip rather then those wire ones, also a duel output high/low, the flash I could care less of and the zoom, ahh, has it's ups and also it's downs, and let's not forget the best part of all the price, like $6!
   So why am I writing this? Especially after I just bought another one of those? I love it! But there kinda cheesy in a way, so I was wondering if there's any other flashlights out there that are pretty much the same with a better build?
    Knurled grip,
    Bright L.E.D. Light,
    Defensive bezel,
    Rear clicky switch,
    Duel output high/low a plus, "not" a high/low/blink/SOS!
    A clip is a plus, not needed,
    Powered by 1-AA, or I guess even a single 123?
    The size, just something about 3-1/2" x 1" round,
    But the most important thing the cost, maybe something around $25?

Anything come to mind to anyone? Thanks, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Looking for a bright single AA L.E.D flashlight, what's good?
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:14:28 PM
Your requirements read like the description of the Fenix E11. :D

Just be careful as there are the new and old version of it, both still available so you can choose which one you like best.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:26:53 PM
Your requirements read like the description of the Fenix E11. :D

Just be careful as there are the new and old version of it, both still available so you can choose which one you like best.

Or, of course, the new E12. ;)  Though that does have three light levels.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 09:32:37 PM
The ThruNite Archer 1A could work for you.  Yes, it does have too many levels, but with the mode memory you can keep it on whatever one you like and ignore the rest. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:19:03 PM
That ThruNite Archer 1A kinda looks interesting,, JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 10:28:32 PM
The NiteCore MT1C, kinda looks interesting too, good rating, but the price went a little over. JR

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Anyone else have any else that comes to mind? Here's a pic of the one I have, maybe something like it? JR

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
I just recently picked up a Fenix E12. It doesn't have the defensive bezel or clip and it has 3 levels (no strobe or sos). One AA, tail switch, should be in your price range pretty easy (up here i paid $26 CDN).

I really am liking this light and for the price, it's hard for me to beat. No long-term usage reports at the moment as I've only just started using it (my other Fenix's are doing well long-term though, so I have faith).

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
I just recently picked up a Fenix E12. It doesn't have the defensive bezel or clip and it has 3 levels (no strobe or sos). One AA, tail switch, should be in your price range pretty easy (up here i paid $26 CDN).

I really am liking this light and for the price, it's hard for me to beat. No long-term usage reports at the moment as I've only just started using it (my other Fenix's are doing well long-term though, so I have faith).
That's pretty nice, I wonder if anyone makes upgrade parts for it, heck I got ones for my maglite.. JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I also looked at the Archer but the T10 and the T10S especially caught my eye. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 04:03:48 PM
Those both look nice, but like you said that T10s catches your eye, she's a beauty! Little steep I'm my pocket though.. JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:13 PM
Those both look nice, but like you said that T10s catches your eye, she's a beauty! Little steep I'm my pocket though.. JR

I always liked the pen lights and streamight protac 2AAA was one that I always wanted to pick up.  Pretty near your price point too on amaon.  Nitecore MT1A or MT1C both are very close to your specs and the price point of $25. 

oops just saw you already mention the Nitecore.
Esse Quam Videri

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 05:43:14 PM

I always liked the pen lights and streamight protac 2AAA was one that I always wanted to pick up.  Pretty near your price point too on amaon.  Nitecore MT1A or MT1C both are very close to your specs and the price point of $25. 

oops just saw you already mention the Nitecore.
I'd rather go with a AA, 123, or 14500. AAA is to thin on my part, although I keep a double AAA maglite I'm my one pouch. JR

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 08:30:35 PM
I also vote for the E11... I've had two of them for a long time and I love them. And they'll be more and more rare to find...:D

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 09:46:18 PM
Ah man all these choices, here's a little question for you, what about the fenix ld12? Up a little in cost right, but then look at this, a Boker Plus FA-1, looks pretty much the same thing no? And you can find them for around $30, anyone have any experience with them? They say they will use a AA, but will handle up to 4 something volts, so does that mean I could use 14500 rechargeable's? I just wish they had a nitecore ex12 or d10 cheep imitation.. JR

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 10:11:02 PM
Well, I was about to suggest the Fenix LD12, but didn't because of its price...

It's a little larger than the E11, but 10 lumens brighter, the SOS/Storbe modes are really "hidden", I don't use them at all and they don't bother me.

It has both throw and flood, I use it daily/nightly as my... main light in the room... can't tail stand, but putting it in a tall glass works wonders :D

I use it for 2-4 hours a day non-stop on its 30-lumen mode and a battery does last 3-4 days, so the run times are really great.

I use only AAs, so I have no idea if it works with other batteries. It's been dropped a lot and hasn't shown any sign of .... noticing my treatment.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:14:15 PM by N_N_R »

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 10:12:04 PM

Wtf did I do to make another post.  :think:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:13:44 PM by N_N_R »

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 10:20:20 PM

Wtf did I do to make another post.  :think:
Idk I was thinking the same, but here, tell me this doesn't look like the nitecore ld12 and look at the price, JR

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Plus-FA-1-Flashlight-160--13795

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 10:25:21 PM
If anyone is looking for a very nice AA light I always recommend the Zebralight SC52. Its a little expensive, but WELL WORTH the money.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 10:52:09 PM
Ah man all these choices, here's a little question for you, what about the fenix ld12? Up a little in cost right, but then look at this, a Boker Plus FA-1, looks pretty much the same thing no? And you can find them for around $30, anyone have any experience with them? They say they will use a AA, but will handle up to 4 something volts, so does that mean I could use 14500 rechargeable's? I just wish they had a nitecore ex12 or d10 cheep imitation.. JR

LD12 will not take a 14500. Not sure about the Boker, no mention of 14500 on any literature, so I suspect not. Of the 2 lights, I'd take the Fenix over Boker.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 02:38:45 PM
Anyone ever herd of Lumapower LM31 EDC LED flashlight? Doesn't have the tactical bezel nor clip, but other then that pretty much falls into place.. They also have a few others, this one will take the AA or 14500, other ones they make will take the 123, AAA, or AA x2, just not really much info or replies on them? JR

ye Offline Sam Quint

Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 05:52:01 AM
Take a gander at the Lighthound Tac AA light, available with a XML or XPG emitter. Will work with most all different chemistries of AA and is silly bright on a 14500.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound-AA-Tactical-Flashlight-Cree-XML-U2-LED_p_3958.html

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 04:39:37 PM
Take a gander at the Lighthound Tac AA light, available with a XML or XPG emitter. Will work with most all different chemistries of AA and is silly bright on a 14500.

http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound-AA-Tactical-Flashlight-Cree-XML-U2-LED_p_3958.html
That's a pretty nice light, only thing I wish to be diff would be the tailcap, to bad it won't stand up, but there's ways around that, and what the heck is a Orange Peel reflector for a nice flood. Idk maybe I'm not reading it right, or because I'm just waking up, but is it a orange dome sticker? JR

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 05:10:30 PM
Although this one seems even better, it's a Lighthound AA Flashlight, Cree U2 LED, Part Number LHAAU2
Has all of what I'm after,
single AA or 14500,
Led,
Both knurled and unique grip,
High as 448 lumens,
Simple high, med, low, no extras,
Stainless steel rear clicky,
tactical bezel,
Even a pocket clip, looks kinda cheesy since it just clips on,
And best of all, only $26! Well that is till shipping comes in play, wonder how bad that can be.. Anyone have any experience with this one? I'll have to do some more research! JR

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 06:26:30 PM

http://www.lighthound.com...ee-XML-U2-LED_p_3958.html
That's a pretty nice light, only thing I wish to be diff would be the tailcap, to bad it won't stand up, but there's ways around that, and what the heck is a Orange Peel reflector for a nice flood. Idk maybe I'm not reading it right, or because I'm just waking up, but is it a orange dome sticker? JR

An orange peel reflector isn't totally smooth, but has small "bumps" in the reflector, so it gets more floody.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 07:12:14 PM

http://www.lighthound.com...ee-XML-U2-LED_p_3958.html

An orange peel reflector isn't totally smooth, but has small "bumps" in the reflector, so it gets more floody.
Ok, gotcha! I read on a few pages that these don't have to much throw, so that makes sence.. Thanks! JR

us Offline Dale

Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 10:36:06 PM
Solarforce L2M

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 08:48:58 PM

Knurled grip,
    Bright L.E.D. Light,
    Defensive bezel,
    Rear clicky switch,
    Duel output high/low a plus, "not" a high/low/blink/SOS!
    A clip is a plus, not needed,