Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage SAK Owners Club

M0rkoni · 1633 · 120428

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Vintage SAK Owners Club
Reply #360 on: March 12, 2017, 05:42:50 PM
Got this Wenger in today....
SG, the blades on the Wenger sure look to be in good shape.  You're right it looks like a match to your Victorinox.  :tu:

Thanks FB! The blades are nice for it's age having only normal use/surface scratches etc (not minty) The way I have to shoot SAKs inside, to balance the lighting/contrast ratios into acceptable ranges, requires letting the blade go a tiny bit "glary" which minimizes tiny surface imperfections. This is partly due to my 50 dollar cellphone and the simple (i.e. free) photo editing program not having a burn/dodge feature like my old (or current versions) of Adobe Photoshop. To depict the blades dead accurate (to show every tiny imperfection), I would have to boost the darker values (areas) to the point that the image becomes very artificial/manipulated looking. The particular technique I've worked out gives balanced levels without overly manipulating the image and lets me keep my sanity.  :D   We used to do all this with the Zone System back in the days of Black and White photography. It allowed you to expose/place scene values into ranges which could then (by prior testing and customizing film choices/processing technique) be accurately reproduced in the final print. Ansel Adams was the most famous photographer that used this technique.

Newer mirror polished SAKs are even more of a problem since a dead accurate depiction would show them as tiny mirrors reflecting my ceiling and whatever is in the room. So I have to manage the reflections as well by knife positioning and by obstructing (controlling) the reflected line of sight with (light or dark) neutral targets or, more commonly, a lighting panel (which again boosts the luminance value of the blade). All this is why some of my shots can take hours to get the final image.   :ahhh  It can be an ordeal sometimes since I have no lighting/studio setup...just a six dollar diffusion panel and a lamp on the table by my computer.  :salute:   I often mess it up but if it looks like I just set the knife down and shot it, I've been successful. :D

Older Carbon Steel blades (with patina) tend to render more accurately than SS SAK blades and are way easier to shoot. See below.
Schrade 8OT 3-5-17.JPG
* Schrade 8OT 3-5-17.JPG (Filesize: 118.97 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Online FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #361 on: March 12, 2017, 05:47:21 PM
Yes, I see what you mean about the carbon steel blade shown in the Old Timer photo.  :tu:
Even though your photos take time, they are always worth viewing!  :cheers:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #362 on: March 12, 2017, 05:58:57 PM
Yes, I see what you mean about the carbon steel blade shown in the Old Timer photo.  :tu:
Even though your photos take time, they are always worth viewing!  :cheers:

Thank you!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #363 on: March 12, 2017, 06:00:10 PM
Nice shots Robert and great explanation of your pic process   :cheers:

Love that Wenger BTW !    :drool: :drool:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #364 on: March 12, 2017, 10:07:16 PM

Thanks Steve!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

cz Offline pettydroid

Reply #365 on: March 12, 2017, 10:07:41 PM
Gentlemen, have anyone of you ever seen anything like this?

Should be 1944 Wenger.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #366 on: March 12, 2017, 10:28:37 PM
SG, the blades on the Wenger sure look to be in good shape.  You're right it looks like a match to your Victorinox.  :tu:

Thanks FB! The blades are nice for it's age having only normal use/surface scratches etc (not minty) The way I have to shoot SAKs inside, to balance the lighting/contrast ratios into acceptable ranges, requires letting the blade go a tiny bit "glary" which minimizes tiny surface imperfections. This is partly due to my 50 dollar cellphone and the simple (i.e. free) photo editing program not having a burn/dodge feature like my old (or current versions) of Adobe Photoshop. To depict the blades dead accurate (to show every tiny imperfection), I would have to boost the darker values (areas) to the point that the image becomes very artificial/manipulated looking. The particular technique I've worked out gives balanced levels without overly manipulating the image and lets me keep my sanity.  :D   We used to do all this with the Zone System back in the days of Black and White photography. It allowed you to expose/place scene values into ranges which could then (by prior testing and customizing film choices/processing technique) be accurately reproduced in the final print. Ansel Adams was the most famous photographer that used this technique.

Newer mirror polished SAKs are even more of a problem since a dead accurate depiction would show them as tiny mirrors reflecting my ceiling and whatever is in the room. So I have to manage the reflections as well by knife positioning and by obstructing (controlling) the reflected line of sight with (light or dark) neutral targets or, more commonly, a lighting panel (which again boosts the luminance value of the blade). All this is why some of my shots can take hours to get the final image.   :ahhh  It can be an ordeal sometimes since I have no lighting/studio setup...just a six dollar diffusion panel and a lamp on the table by my computer.  :salute:   I often mess it up but if it looks like I just set the knife down and shot it, I've been successful. :D

Older Carbon Steel blades (with patina) tend to render more accurately than SS SAK blades and are way easier to shoot. See below.

:like: :like: :like: :like:

Thanks for the background!  I have been very curious about your pro quality photography.  These days I use my iPhone 7 Plus for quick snaps with zero post processing while my cameras sit in their bags slowly draining their batteries.  I don't see that changing anytime soon but I sure appreciate your photos and thank you for your time investment (it does inspire me to want to put more effort into my photos).

:salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #367 on: March 13, 2017, 12:55:29 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
Should be 1944 Wenger.

I have not but it appears to be a nazi eagle over a swastika. I have some old Steyr ammo with that marking. Very cool for its history.

Want to sell it?   :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:58:08 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #368 on: March 13, 2017, 01:02:13 AM

Thanks for the background!  I have been very curious about your pro quality photography.  These days I use my iPhone 7 Plus for quick snaps with zero post processing while my cameras sit in their bags slowly draining their batteries.  I don't see that changing anytime soon but I sure appreciate your photos and thank you for your time investment (it does inspire me to want to put more effort into my photos).

Thanks Jim!!!!  :cheers: :cheers: The iPhone's capabilities are amazing from what I've seen/read. I enjoy doing these pics but my poor health gets in the way sometimes. Haven't used my Leicas or Nikons for years either....  :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #369 on: March 13, 2017, 01:06:04 AM
Should be 1944 Wenger.

I have not but it appears to be a nazi eagle over a swastika. I have some old Steyr ammo with that marking. Very cool for its history.

I have that same symbol on a Nazi era coin....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #370 on: March 13, 2017, 01:19:14 AM
I agree with Steve...and i can always make room for that Wenger if you run out of room buddy!! 

Barry

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #371 on: March 13, 2017, 01:59:33 AM

Thanks Jim!!!!  :cheers: :cheers: The iPhone's capabilities are amazing from what I've seen/read. I enjoy doing these pics but my poor health gets in the way sometimes. Haven't used my Leicas or Nikons for years either....  :facepalm:

Now I can see how you can afford mountains of SAKs since you are no longer buying Leicas!  :)

I enjoyed the Nikon F series cameras for decades but sold my SLR equipment when I had to relocate in the early 80's.  It wasn't until sometime in the mid-90's that we resumed our enjoyment of capturing photos (now digital).   When I retired, I was determined to devote more time to the enjoyment of photography.  I'll skip the long story but I ended up with a sizable investment in two formats (Sony APS-C & M43).  Health has posed some delays to getting out and about with my equipment (knee problems, knee surgery & my wife fell and suffered a compression fracture in her back).  Meanwhile, phone cameras have gotten so good that it makes it harder not to capture some photos. :)

Here's hoping that your health improves!  Thanks for sharing your photos!

:cheers: :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #372 on: March 13, 2017, 02:18:19 AM
I agree with Steve...and i can always make room for that Wenger if you run out of room buddy!! 

:D Thx Barry!!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

cz Offline pettydroid

Reply #373 on: March 13, 2017, 10:50:55 AM
Should be 1944 Wenger.

I have that same symbol on a Nazi era coin....
The date on the knife falls into WWII (1944) but I would like to know if anyone ever seen it on any SAK from that era?
Is it a first GAK ?

cz Offline pettydroid

Reply #374 on: March 13, 2017, 10:56:32 AM
Should be 1944 Wenger.

Would you be interested to buy it? The price would be USD 100  plus shipping. Selling at cost, just want to get it to anyone who would like it.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #375 on: March 14, 2017, 12:12:28 AM
I can't afford that right now but someone else may want it. Thank you for pricing it.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #376 on: March 17, 2017, 04:03:59 AM
This knife is in route to me, but at this moment the shipment is delayed due to poor weather back East.
I'm curious if you folks think this is a Champion.  Not sure if the seller is showing all the tools or not.  Is it possible all the tools are showing?

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #377 on: March 17, 2017, 04:14:33 AM
This knife is in route to me, but at this moment the shipment is delayed due to poor weather back East.
I'm curious if you folks think this is a Champion.  Not sure if the seller is showing all the tools or not.  Is it possible all the tools are showing?

Looks like 236faU from c. 1960.

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #378 on: March 17, 2017, 04:27:29 AM

Looks like 236faU from c. 1960.

Yes that is the tool set, thanks JB!
Just now I went back to the SAKWiki thinking maybe I had missed seeing it when I was trying to figure out what I had.  Seems I can't find Angler Plus there.
I looked within the Angler link.   :think:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #379 on: March 17, 2017, 11:38:16 AM
Hey FB

Another great find and not even in the WIKI - Impressive - Although you did not beat JB  :o
And always good with that 'interim' config - Old awl - But internal rivets.

I will put it in the Wiki - Should it have its own page? Or should it be a variation of the Angler?
I am leaning towards variation  ??? But if it was common/catalogue model I guess it should have its own page? Let me know folks
And can I steal your piccie please JB? - I know you have quite a few piccies in there already.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #380 on: March 17, 2017, 03:55:10 PM
I will put it in the Wiki - Should it have its own page? Or should it be a variation of the Angler?
I am leaning towards variation  ??? But if it was common/catalogue model I guess it should have its own page? Let me know folks
And can I steal your piccie please JB? - I know you have quite a few piccies in there already.

By all means use the picture. I'd put it as it's own model under the five layer models so it's easy to find.

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #381 on: March 18, 2017, 11:59:44 PM
Thank you Huntsman and JB, the knife is here and it indeed only has those 5 layers as shown in the ad.
Here is the picture I just took of it, I have to work on not getting reflections on the blades. For instance, the wood saw is glossy chrome looking, but it is picking up ceiling reflections.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:01:04 AM by FolderBeholder »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #382 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:56 AM
Very nice FB!!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #383 on: March 19, 2017, 12:22:08 AM
Thanks SG!
I can't decipher if this is an overlay or inlay.  It's hard to tell by the photo, but there is a bit of an imprint of the logo into the cellidor, then there's paint?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #384 on: March 19, 2017, 06:07:13 AM
That really is a nice knife FB.

It is in amazing condition and as we said a reasonably unusual model
It's also nice as it has the older saw (slanted teeth) as well as the old style awl, and scissors, and SD with PAT stamp, metal tweezers etc
Very, very nice - How do you do it!!

I would say the logo is painted on - Not hot stamped and not inlay.
You can always tell an inlay as the pattern and letters, if present, are always joined up by a tiny strip of metal - ie The inlay is in one single piece
Check it out on SAKs where you know it is an inlay - you'll see what I mean. Actually look at the classic Vic shield above - The cross is joined to the shield edge.
Not hot stamp - As there usually is an small indentation in the plastic where the letters are stamped 
Pretty sure about the inlay, in this case - Not so sure about the hot stamp

Re the Wiki - You are right - it needs its own page - Will do and thanks JB
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:09:12 AM by Huntsman »

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #385 on: March 19, 2017, 02:55:34 PM
Thank you Huntsman.
Upon further investigation through a loupe, I believe it is painted on.  The only part on the logo that has a texture/ridge is the "triangular" area of the logo.  It seems as though it may have been imprinted a bit as it feels similar to my "Camping" teepee hot foil stamp.

Not sure why I'm focussed on that except for I rarely see a logo on the knives that have a large awl.  That is what caught my eye, well that and it has a large awl.  :D

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #386 on: March 19, 2017, 06:41:24 PM
Thank you Huntsman and JB, the knife is here and it indeed only has those 5 layers as shown in the ad.
Here is the picture I just took of it, I have to work on not getting reflections on the blades. For instance, the wood saw is glossy chrome looking, but it is picking up ceiling reflections.

That is a good looking knife FB.  You are really getting a nice collection of Vintage Vics :like: :cheers:   

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #387 on: March 19, 2017, 07:25:30 PM

That is a good looking knife FB.  You are really getting a nice collection of Vintage Vics :like: :cheers:
Thank you Vicman!  :cheers:

us Online FolderBeholder

Reply #389 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:42 PM
As much as I prefer original boxes, I will buy without, proof shown below:  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%