Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage SAK Owners Club

M0rkoni · 1633 · 123544

Offline MiniChamp

Re: Vintage SAK Owners Club
Reply #900 on: July 02, 2019, 07:13:36 PM
It is not my knife to my regret, here are all pictures I have.
(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks!  :salute:

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #901 on: July 05, 2019, 10:32:29 PM
Thanks!  :salute:
You are welcome ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline jnoxyd

Vintage SAK Owners Club
Reply #902 on: July 10, 2019, 01:48:18 PM
Can you help me with dating this 242 kU? No Victorinox shield on scales, steel liners, rivets and small blade spacer, nickel silver bail, back spring thickness decreases from one side to another. It has some imperfection in the form of a protruding spring with the main blade open.

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #903 on: July 10, 2019, 05:04:04 PM
My latest WENGER  :hatsoff:
WENGER-old-3.jpg
* WENGER-old-3.jpg (Filesize: 380.6 KB)
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #904 on: July 11, 2019, 02:17:26 PM
Can you help me with dating this 242 kU? No Victorinox shield on scales, steel liners, rivets and small blade spacer, nickel silver bail, back spring thickness decreases from one side to another. It has some imperfection in the form of a protruding spring with the main blade open.
Interesting knife, Jnoxyd!  :like: I hope that someone will indeed be able to shed some light on it. It may help if you could clarify the following:
  • Are the blades and spring made of carbon steel?
  • What type of steel (carbon/stainless) are the liners, rivets and small blade spacer made of?
  • What material are the scales made of?
Thanks!

Offline wengercollector

Reply #905 on: July 11, 2019, 04:21:50 PM

For me this knife looks a bit strange. The mainblade is original, thats for sure.
But the scales, shackle, liners, pins not. Thats my opinion. If you compare the knife with the picture of the shown No 242k, you can see that the pin on the feet of the knife is more in the middle, where the original is more left; the middle pin is far more down to the feet.

I think long time ago, someone brought the knife to a knifemaker for repair because of a broken mainblade. He changed it and used a blade he had, a Victoria blade. Such things were pretty common those days. Because everything was handmade and hand adjusted, so no problem for a knifemaker. The blade is from around 1910, so really old.

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #906 on: July 12, 2019, 04:47:52 PM
Interesting knife, Jnoxyd!  :like: I hope that someone will indeed be able to shed some light on it. It may help if you could clarify the following:
  • Are the blades and spring made of carbon steel?
  • What type of steel (carbon/stainless) are the liners, rivets and small blade spacer made of?
  • What material are the scales made of?
Thanks!
Hi, MiniChamp. Blades, liners, rivets and spacer all are made of carbon steel, scales are from very good quality fiber. Riveting is really professional, it looks like factory made.

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #907 on: July 12, 2019, 04:54:00 PM
For me this knife looks a bit strange. The mainblade is original, thats for sure.
But the scales, shackle, liners, pins not. Thats my opinion. If you compare the knife with the picture of the shown No 242k, you can see that the pin on the feet of the knife is more in the middle, where the original is more left; the middle pin is far more down to the feet.

I think long time ago, someone brought the knife to a knifemaker for repair because of a broken mainblade. He changed it and used a blade he had, a Victoria blade. Such things were pretty common those days. Because everything was handmade and hand adjusted, so no problem for a knifemaker. The blade is from around 1910, so really old.
Thanks for the answer, Wengercollector. I think you are right, it looks like this is what you said, it explains the protruding spring.
I just would like to compare this knife with another 84mm from this time period (my picture above is from late 1940s catalog)

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #908 on: July 13, 2019, 03:37:43 AM
I already had to use this photo on another board, to help a guy ID his knife.

Mid 1970s Craftsman. Couple years back, I went on a camping trip. SInce the Craftsman was in really rough shape, I put it in my tackle box, and a Fireman on my belt. Ended up carrying and using the Craftsman, gave the Fireman's sheath away (it was a 1980s Browning sheath, to which my friend owned the knife; but his sheath had been lost years ago), and kept the Fireman in my bag.   

The problems: saw is bent; scale tools are non original (came from Artisan Vic repaired), and the scissors rub badly against the liners. Vic will straighten it out and make this knife better to use, I'm sure.

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #909 on: July 13, 2019, 05:06:53 AM
Hi, MiniChamp. Blades, liners, rivets and spacer all are made of carbon steel, scales are from very good quality fiber. Riveting is really professional, it looks like factory made.
Thanks for the info, Jnoxyd!  :hatsoff:

I just would like to compare this knife with another 84mm from this time period (my picture above is from late 1940s catalog)
I'm not sure what information you are looking for, but I looked at the three fiber-scaled tourists in the attached image, which I believe to be from the relevant time period. I tend to believe that the one on the right is from the 1910's, the one on the center from the 1920's and the one on the left from the 1930's.

The thickness of the springs on such SAKs cannot be measured precisely like on your knife, but I tried to estimate it by placing a caliper very close to the springs. As far as I can tell, the dimensions of the blades layer spring are roughly the same on all three. The thickness of the thinner side of the spring seems to be about 2.3mm (like on your knife), while the thickness of thicker side seems to be about 3.3mm, namely, a little more than on your knife.

The liners and spacers of all three are made of brass, as are the rivets of the (stainless steel) tourist on the center. The rivets of the other two tourists are made of carbon steel (like their blades and springs).

I don't know if such a comparison is what you had in mind or that you were looking to compare with a model 242k, but I should point out that I don't know if Victorinox made model 242k SAKs at any time before the 1940's. The earliest known catalog that has the model 242k (or any corkscrew-less officer's knife for that matter) is the late-1940's catalog from which you took the image and while I did indeed see such model 242k SAKs from the late 1940's, I don't recall seeing earlier ones.
VintageTourists.jpg
* VintageTourists.jpg (Filesize: 191.57 KB)

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #910 on: July 13, 2019, 11:00:21 AM
Thank you very much, MiniChamp! Nice knives, especially right one ;) As Wengercollector said rivets layout on my knife is different from your original Elsener made ones and scales are another shape too.

cs Offline M0rkoni

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #912 on: July 29, 2019, 11:16:40 PM
Beautiful!
Barry

cs Offline M0rkoni

Reply #913 on: July 29, 2019, 11:24:56 PM
Thanks Barry...
In my book all the ones (horn, pearl, celidor, fiber etc.) with exposed rivets are simply  :drool:

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #914 on: July 29, 2019, 11:37:04 PM
:
Thanks Barry...
In my book all the ones (horn, pearl, celidor, fiber etc.) with exposed rivets are simply  :drool:
  :iagree:   :salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #915 on: July 30, 2019, 03:43:14 AM
Victoria Huntsman

Nice horn scales M0rkoni!  :like:

Looks like late 60's to '71 to me...Does anybody know when horn scales stopped getting exposed rivets?

My latest exposed rivet horn scale is also '68 to pre- '71.5 +PAT and my earliest hidden rivet is c. late'76/early '77.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #917 on: August 07, 2019, 06:15:31 PM
Sweet!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #919 on: August 07, 2019, 07:21:46 PM
Victoria Huntsman
:dd: beautiful for sure!  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #920 on: August 07, 2019, 07:23:00 PM
VICTORIA Execitive
:dd: and another! Very nice.  :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #921 on: August 08, 2019, 06:11:36 AM
VICTORIA Execitive

:like:

Wish I had one like that or with the fine serrations on the peeler.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #922 on: August 17, 2019, 01:28:52 AM
Added this older Golfer today. 
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #923 on: August 17, 2019, 06:20:01 AM

Reply #925 on: August 17, 2019, 03:23:02 PM
Thank you jnoxyd and M0rkoni.  :cheers: 
I wish it had the original box, but sometimes I have to buy something that I don't have in my collection and hope for a boxed one to come along later.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #926 on: August 17, 2019, 07:03:24 PM
Added this older Golfer today. 

Great find FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #927 on: August 17, 2019, 11:54:34 PM
Couple of recent finds.
IMG_20190817_224607_compress79.jpg
* IMG_20190817_224607_compress79.jpg (Filesize: 48.84 KB)

Reply #928 on: August 18, 2019, 01:31:21 AM

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #929 on: August 18, 2019, 02:21:08 AM
Lovely finds FB and VS - Especially that old Golfer - ARMEE SUISSE - Yay

Hey did anyone notice/know that the accent goes the wrong way on the E.

Very interesting lettering/logos on both SAKs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD