Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vintage SAK Owners Club

M0rkoni · 1633 · 123540

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Vintage SAK Owners Club
Reply #990 on: October 07, 2019, 01:44:22 AM
Really great information and pics guys - Thanks so much - And as always especially to JB   :tu: 
Although I start to feel very ignorant and inadequate when you guys get talking!!    :(    :think:    :o 

That mis-stamped cross on the CO is fascinating KK - Never seen that before !!

Thanks for the response and excellent level of detail and documentation, jazzbass!  This is the kind of info that should be in the SAKWiki...or in a book.....
Yes I have been thinking and wondering about this for a while ....  ???
  • Re the book ...... JB - How's it going ? ! ....  :pok:   ;)
  • Re the WIki - For now ....... I have put links to this thread and the dating thread on the main 91mm page 

PS. One admin point @ kamakiri and rapidray - Please don't quote full posts like you did above
It repeats stuff unnecessarily and clogs up the thread
- Usually a quoteless response is sufficient - maybe with  a comment such as: "@ JB re your post above"
Or just a partial quote

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #991 on: October 07, 2019, 02:00:40 AM
  • Re the book ...... JB - How's it going ? ! ....  :pok:   ;)

Its an excellent question. I stepped away from collecting after some bad/frustrating experiences and being slammed at work. Only within the past 6 mos have I been back at it and gathering info for the book. The biggest challenge with this project is data gathering and organization. I was unhappy with the old database I had so I designed a new one and me and another developer are putting a UI on it to make it useful for information/collection info gathering. That should be done soon.

Then - enter all the info, sort it, and write it up. Or just make the info available via a website? That might be easier. But having a book would be cooler. Like way cooler.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #992 on: October 07, 2019, 03:21:34 AM
That mis-stamped cross on the CO is fascinating KK - Never seen that before !!
Yeah, stuff I 'had to have' when I saw it. Should have thought about putting it in this thread earlier too.

PS.
:oops:  Yeah, sorry about that. I know better, and generally dislike clutter and chatter in 'technical' threads.

But having a book would be cooler. Like way cooler.
:iagree:  My suggestion is to do both.  I think a nice coffee table sized hardcover would work well for the book.  Might as well 'show off' your examples in nice glossy large print.  Website should be able to at least pay for itself with advertising links, if you care about that.

My collection is more suitable for a xeroxed pamphlet.  :-[  :rofl:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #993 on: October 07, 2019, 03:25:09 AM
 :oops: I’ll try to remember

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #994 on: October 07, 2019, 06:57:15 AM
I'd say the explanation was, from most likely to least likely:

1. Production error; the opener never got stamped in production
2. Production defect; the opener was stamped but lightly and the stamping was polished off
3. The can opener was replaced during a repair after 1971.

I think it's probably an error.
I guess it is. I think that JB's explanation #3 is unlikely because this can opener doesn't look like it's post-1971. In terms of finish and some other subtle details it is similar to a US PAT PEND can opener. I attach an image that attempts to illustrate this similarity.
TwoCanOpeners.jpg
* TwoCanOpeners.jpg (Filesize: 213.65 KB)

Offline MiniChamp

Reply #995 on: October 07, 2019, 07:07:52 AM
Only within the past 6 mos have I been back at it and gathering info for the book.
It's really great to have you back.  :woohoo:

Or just make the info available via a website? That might be easier. But having a book would be cooler. Like way cooler.
I'm thirsty for your knowledge and I'll be happy with whatever way you choose to serve it, but I believe that a website is the better route. The big problem with a book is that it needs to get completed before it can be made available. This can take forever. A website can be put together with only part of the planned content and then evolve. It can keep changing and expanding along with the progress of your research as well as due to feedback from others. It will also be accessed by a much larger population.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #996 on: October 07, 2019, 08:34:47 AM
^ Great points about the website, but I'd personally like a book.

I guess it is. I think that JB's explanation #3 is unlikely because this can opener doesn't look like it's post-1971. In terms of finish and some other subtle details it is similar to a US PAT PEND can opener. I attach an image that attempts to illustrate this similarity.

Exactly. That's the kind of comparison I was getting at earlier with jnoxyd's 'v1a' opener.  A post-'71 opener would have a 'clear' or sharper transition near the nail nick.  Your shot clearly shows early type of irregular (hand) machining prior to the polishing.  Devil is in the detail comparing many parts.  I've probably spent too much time comparing parts using a loupe.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

cs Offline M0rkoni

Reply #997 on: October 07, 2019, 08:44:18 AM
KUDOS to everyone who contribute and keep this topic a live, thanks guys and gals...  :salute:

Only within the past 6 mos have I been back at it and gathering info for the book.

By the way I'm always for a book (I guess I'm old school).

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #998 on: October 08, 2019, 03:52:58 AM
Thank YOU for helping us with our special hobby  :salute:
To bad I found out my Spartan looking +80yoa was a Pradel... :(
It did have the Vic inlay shield. but youz guys thought it was not authentic!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:46:03 AM by TonySal »
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #999 on: October 08, 2019, 06:27:13 AM
Filled another of the remaining holes in the 84mm “accumulation”, all the way from Switzerland.  I think I read that the seller is a member of this forum but not sure.  Small Climber, long nail file.....so good 😛.         :cheers:

:drool:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #1000 on: October 08, 2019, 06:29:26 AM
Its an excellent question. I stepped away from collecting after some bad/frustrating experiences and being slammed at work. Only within the past 6 mos have I been back at it and gathering info for the book. The biggest challenge with this project is data gathering and organization. I was unhappy with the old database I had so I designed a new one and me and another developer are putting a UI on it to make it useful for information/collection info gathering. That should be done soon.

Then - enter all the info, sort it, and write it up. Or just make the info available via a website? That might be easier. But having a book would be cooler. Like way cooler.

I want a signed copy
 :popcorn:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #1001 on: October 08, 2019, 07:24:25 AM
Re  The Book .......... Some great points about the online version  :tu:

But a printed book for me - all the way please. ...... And yes,  great idea El CS - Signed    :D

With all your great photos and information this is something to browse through and absorb 'with a glass of whisky, by the fireside'    :salute:

SAKWiki is a great online reference tool - But methinks this is something a bit different / special     8)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:04:51 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #1002 on: October 08, 2019, 02:55:54 PM
Yup, my thoughts exactly.  I have an acquaintance  who became the world's expert on wrist chronographs issued to the Royal Canadian Airforce in the 60's, 70's, and 80's.  There are lots of people who collect them, but for one person to study them and document the many differences, evolutions, manufacturers, numbers and dates of issue, etc etc took a special effort.  He eventually published his own book and sold it on Amazon.  Quite the achievement.

Good luck, Jazzbass!

Myron

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1003 on: October 08, 2019, 03:17:06 PM
I get so excited even thinking about a book  :woohoo:.  There is some really incredible information happening in this thread.  Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge.   :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #1004 on: October 09, 2019, 01:19:03 AM
I want a signed copy
   :like:   :iagree:  +1
join KNIFE RIGHTS

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #1005 on: October 28, 2019, 07:46:17 AM
Can anyone remind me what the first digits 7 and 8 mean in the model numbers please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:33:22 AM by jnoxyd »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1006 on: October 28, 2019, 03:08:21 PM

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #1007 on: October 28, 2019, 03:19:51 PM
Can anyone remind me what the first digits 7 and 8 mean in the model numbers please?
I can  :D
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51152.msg1428436.html#msg1428436

A leading "5", "7", or "8" typically indicated a "special" model - something with tools not part of the standard "Victoria" line (e.g. fine screwdriver, pruner blade, serrated main blade). The Picnicker, for example, is basically a Camper with a serrated main blade and pruner instead of pen blade. It was a model 8237aU, whereas the Camper was a  model 237aU. The Handwerkermesser (model 7236maU) was just a Ranger (model 236maU) with a fine screwdriver instead of a pen blade. There really isn't a logical system with these either - for example the Motorist was a 8134ma, the Picknicker was a 8237aU, but the Handwerkermesser was a 7236maU. Why the "7" instead of "8"?  All knives were "special" models, all were originally Elinox models, etc. But one started with 7 and the other 8.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #1008 on: October 28, 2019, 03:41:47 PM
There really isn't a logical system with these either - for example the Motorist was a 8134ma, the Picknicker was a 8237aU, but the Handwerkermesser was a 7236maU. Why the "7" instead of "8"?  All knives were "special" models, all were originally Elinox models, etc. But one started with 7 and the other 8.

In this case, the 8 sort of had more commonality because both the Picknicker and Outdoorsman used it as prefix. And perhaps the motorist should have been a '7' instead...or had the '5' or 'A' from the Caddy...or some other common number or letter for the technician's SD.

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #1009 on: October 28, 2019, 09:16:37 PM
Here are pics of some these knives with numbers on the boxes. Pics are provided SAK collector Haoran Yang from China.
What other 7..., 8... or 5... knives with boxes do you have?

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1010 on: October 28, 2019, 10:17:41 PM
Nice  :like: :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #1011 on: October 28, 2019, 10:42:32 PM
I don't think I have any.  But I think the Handyman might have the wrong scissor spring in it.  Black single leaf springs were still produced post +PAT for that type of scissor.  :dunno:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #1012 on: October 28, 2019, 10:48:39 PM
GigaHz sold a nice one:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1013 on: October 28, 2019, 10:53:25 PM

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #1014 on: October 29, 2019, 09:34:49 PM
I found this in one of ColoSwiss' cases:  I think the wrong knife is in this box.  :think:  :dunno:
It was in a case of the latest items he had purchased and didn't put into his spreadsheet yet.

Has main blade and a combo tool:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:40:30 PM by FolderBeholder »
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #1015 on: October 29, 2019, 09:41:16 PM

So a Bantam?  Looks super cool. 

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #1016 on: October 29, 2019, 09:52:31 PM
So a Bantam?  Looks super cool.
Yes, a Bantam, but I think the box is for a Pioneer.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1017 on: October 30, 2019, 12:05:06 AM
I have bought some new SAK and gotten the wrong boxes. It happens.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1018 on: October 30, 2019, 01:45:33 PM
I found this in one of ColoSwiss' cases:  I think the wrong knife is in this box.  :think:  :dunno:
It was in a case of the latest items he had purchased and didn't put into his spreadsheet yet.
(Image removed from quote.)

Cool SAK FB! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1019 on: October 30, 2019, 01:46:54 PM
Here are pics of some these knives with numbers on the boxes. Pics are provided SAK collector Haoran Yang from China.
What other 7..., 8... or 5... knives with boxes do you have?

Very nice jnoxyd! :like: :tu: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD