Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

'Seal Team Six Survival Kit'

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
'Seal Team Six Survival Kit'
on: March 19, 2014, 08:01:29 PM
I found this video of the recently released spec version of the Seal Team Six Survival Kit.

One of the things I found interesting was that it comes with one of 2 MTs: either the Gerber Dime or Leatherman 'equivalent', which I assume means Squirt PS4.

I'd prefer the Squirt, personally.

Looks like the kit sells for $200.
http://www.sealteamkits.com/product/survival-kit-black/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:04:37 PM by Lynn LeFey »

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Re: 'Seal Team Six Survival Kit'
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 08:42:58 PM
I read about this before, it is a really thought out package. The best part imho is the additional flag with escape tools (http://www.sealteamkits.com/product/recover-kit-pre-order-desert-color/). Really sneaky and gives me some interesting ideas  8)

Concerning the bigger pack: I wonder if such small pliers would be useful in a SERE situation. I'd rather have something akin to the Victorinox Ranger: Blade, screwdrivers, woodsaw, metal saw/file, scissors to boost. Or a Farmer/Harvester. But I can't compare those tools size-wise, is the dime much smaller?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:16:48 PM
The pliers on something the size of the Dime or Squirt would be VERY useful in shaping the included wire precisely. AND for cutting it. It can also be used to grip needles for sewing (say, when slick with blood from trying to sew up a wound).

I agree that the Farmer would be a great tool in a survival kit. The sturdy blade, saw, and awl make it a really good woodcraft tool.

The Dime and Squirt are shorter than the Farmer. Here's an example, Farmer next to Squirt.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:31 PM
That is $199?  :o

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:49:11 PM
I didn't say I was going to BUY one. :D

Yeah, I looked up a few of the items, and I think it's say to say the sellers of this kit are making a hefty profit.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 05:06:25 PM
Seal Team Six Survival Kit name alone ramps up the price.  I think its a good kit but I'd agree the Ranger/Farmer would be a nice addition.  I guess if you are a Seal Team member this kit is more than enough to survive, for folks like me I'd need a hell of a lot more  :rofl: plus the help of a Teams member  :whistle:   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 05:08:06 PM
Wow, that is really, really overpriced.  Slap SEAL Team 6 on it, paint it black, and suddenly things double or triple in price.

The world belongs to the funkiest.

The world belongs to the funkiest.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 05:37:44 PM
Another robbery... Call 9-1-1.

And Get A Rope!  :rant:
SAW

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 06:08:28 PM
I may be a bit of a cynic but I think two Mars bars would make a better survival kit >:D

No, honestly the water bag + purification tabs are good. But its way to expensive. So should I ever plan to go on a trip where I think something like this is needed (like searching for Shangri-La) I rather rent a satellite phone for the same price.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:41:23 PM
That is $199?  :o

Try https://www.austereprovisions.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FF-SUMAPSK1 for a cheaper version. (125$)
I can't tell you anything about the quality of any of these sets, though.

I kinda like this kind of kit and especially the sturdy box.

us Offline Cogito

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 08:00:32 AM
those must be some fancy safety pins.  also is that a fisher space pen cartridge that I see :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 11:16:02 AM
wasn't there a longer list than the stuff included?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 07:30:53 PM
Just for fun I decided to knock up a decent kit for less than $200 :D
Using stuff from a smaller kit I made a while back and some other stuff I had knocking about I came up with this...
Standard tobacco tin with 2 inner tube bands...

Inside still some space for other items as well such as Puritabs.

Contents...

Alox Farmer
Kevlar Cord
Standard Glo-Toob
Large Ferro Rod
Duct Tape
WetFire Tinder
Lifeboat Matches
Char Cloth & Waxed Hemp
ESEE Arrowhead
Derm Safe Razor
Heavy Sewing Needles
Mini Spools with...Brass Wire, Kevlar Thread, Fishing Line
Wire Saw
Button Compass

Just needs a few more items and it's good to go :salute:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:48:45 PM by Dr Gonzo »
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 10:22:46 PM
Nice kit!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Random Dan

• I am a leaf on the wind
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 05:56:10 AM
Just for fun I decided to knock up a decent kit for less than $200 :D
Using stuff from a smaller kit I made a while back and some other stuff I had knocking about I came up with this...

Contents...
(Image removed from quote.)

Alox Farmer
Kevlar Cord
Standard Glo-Toob
Large Ferro Rod
Duct Tape
WetFire Tinder
Lifeboat Matches
Char Cloth & Waxed Hemp
ESEE Arrowhead
Derm Safe Razor
Heavy Sewing Needles
Mini Spools with...Brass Wire, Kevlar Thread, Fishing Line
Wire Saw
Button Compass

Just needs a few more items and it's good to go :salute:

:tu:
I don't see the appeal of buying a pre-made kit when it's so easy to make your own with the stuff you want.
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods"

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 04:30:17 PM
Nice kit!

live from Nate's mobile

Cheers Man as you can see I included your favourite tool :D
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 04:40:40 PM
Excellent kit Dr G  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 05:41:31 PM
Nice kit!

live from Nate's mobile

Cheers Man as you can see I included your favourite tool :D
I saw that. Never can have to much of it.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 06:10:01 PM
:tu:
I don't see the appeal of buying a pre-made kit when it's so easy to make your own with the stuff you want.

Exactly ;) and most pre-made kits use cheap items but sell at a premium ::)

@Aloha007 Cheers Man :tu:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 06:14:12 AM

I almost always point to people to start with a bought kit, becuase you can't get all the little bits for the same price, but then add and subtract to fit your needs.

I've had a theory about this kit. The book says "get a container that fits in  your gear, build a kit" (FM 21-76 and its follow on), and does so about in about as many words. So, that freaks out some bean counting twit. He looks to see what has an NSN number that could be a survival kit for these kinds of people, becuase he remembers the issue with not enough body amour from 13 years ago and it's his career that could get sucked under if anyone in the press bleats about a survival kit gap. HORRORS! There is nothing in inventory that actually works. The request for bid goes out, it's a nice, tight, limited pool since it's ostensibly for a Tier One unit and everything has to be hush-hush, secret squirrel, burn before reading. And as a result, oh, it's got that tactical mojo running for the people who then sell the same kits on the civilian market. We've all seen the price hike on a knife that is a good knife, really is worth a fair bit of money, but then an SFG or SEAL Team buys a bunch of them, and blamo, price doubles.

And this is the result. A kit that is way overpriced. That being said, I kind of like the tin- the SUMA container is built like a tank if really is machined from a billet of aluminum. ( http://fast-fire.3dcartstores.com/SUMA-Container_p_14.html ) And if it is, it's almost worth the money IF you can justify the need. But there is such a thing as being overbuilt- you could machine the handles for a multitool from a block of steel to, it would still be overkill. For that size, I can think of a lot of factories that could stamp you something from 18/8 stainless for a lot less and give up very little strength. Yes, the is a weight gain, but... it's pretty tiny.

I don't like the repacked PA tablets. I've done that trick. One, once you open the big bottle, the clock is running, they have 6 months of reliable performance, double them up after that. And when I did it, with that very same type of bottle (probably the same manufacturer) with factory teflon septas AND teflon tape on the threads, after a while, they do start to leak chlorine- there was discoloration to tinder packed between the bottle and the side of the case, and the stainless steel wire was pitted. For the bulk of the the little Inova vs something like a Spotlight Spek, Streamlight Nano or eGear Pico that can't get turned on accidentally in the kit, they could have put in the full bottle of 50 tablets.

I'm also kind of scared of their PR writer. And I quote, with highlights for emphasis:
"13: Kevlar Line 200 lb Strength (180”)
Kevlar cord at 200lbs strength yet very thin. It’s made up of 3 strands of kevlar thread and is coated in a propriety PVC blend with UV inhibitor for extreme outdoor conditions which is also flame resistant. The cord can be used for: traps, bows, snares, shelters, fishing line, boot laces, thread, trip wire, belt, tourniquet, rifle sling, etc."

Garrotte, yes. Tourniquet, NO!

Honestly, for prepacked, AMK could have given them a better price. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:22:26 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%