Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What fixed blade are you carrying today?

ducttapetech · 2022 · 101675

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What fixed blade are you carrying today?
Reply #1230 on: December 28, 2018, 06:26:10 PM
Well 2 very popular and very thick designs are the Becker BK-2 and ESEE-5 which are marketed in a similar fashion to one another. They certainly have fans, but for me it still seems like a good bit of sacrifice to get that feeling of imperviousness.

To be fair, maybe I'm missing something. Never had to baton much and even when I did it wasn't some super hard and knotty wood (although I have a firm belief that most people exaggerate the need for battoning and just how tough the local wood is). So I'd rather use that extra weight somewhere else.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1231 on: December 28, 2018, 06:43:21 PM
 :iagree:

Although I do like to be able to baton a knife to process wood. And axe is a better choice, but I don't carry an axe much. And I agree that the absolute need to baton is probably overrated. Still, if the available wood is snow covered or wet, it is very nice to be able to split open some wood to get to dry-stuff when making a fire. Here, the pines grow up in the wind and twist, makes this wood a pain to spit cleanly. And it is very knotty. But, again, I've found that judicious use of a knife with reasonable sized wood isn't a problem for most knives.

I've used that 1/8" Koyote to baton reasonably sized wood without a problem.

I have a BK-2. I'm not a fan. It's too chunky, and I think that chunky quality reduces it's overall utility. And it just plain weighs too much. I often think of getting rid of it......but it makes for a nice "sharp pry-bar". It does take a hair-shaving edge as well.

The handle on the BK-2 (same as the BK-7, 5, and 9) is pretty comfortable for me, although I prefer the micarta scales. The plastic scales feel too slippery to me.

hr Offline styx

Reply #1232 on: December 28, 2018, 08:54:59 PM
well you never know when you'll need to baton a really nasty piece of wood so having that BK-2 handy is a smart move. plus batoning might be safer. a lot of people aren't that used to an axe, being tired, cold, might be later in the day are all factors to consider. plus axes are heavy as well.

even without an axe, in my head there is some choice to be made. now this comes from 0 practical experience and is pure theory, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. if you had access to enough wood that is properly sized to baton it and there is a realistic need for doing so (like the wood being wet), wouldn't it make more sense to baton the straighter pieces with fewer knots and leave the gnarly pieces to just burn as larger fuel?

here we've never needed an abundance of small pieces, just enough to get the fire going enough to accept the larger fuel. that usually meant having 3 or 4 forearm sized pieces busted to thirds or quarters and 1 or 2 pieces to smaller chunks, so the theory above might make sense or i might be talking out of my smurf

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1233 on: December 28, 2018, 09:08:35 PM
In my experience, once the fire gets going, you don't really need to baton. Just put wood on the fire, although, split woods catches fire and burns more easily.

Batonning for me has been most helpful when trying to get a fire started by exposing inner, dry wood that can be shaved into tinder and kindling. If you have enough dry tinder and kindling available, you don't even need to baton. Sometimes the 'feather stick' method is perfect, although, here in the mountain west, straight grained wood that is easy to turn into a bundle of perfect curls isn't easy to come by.

A few weeks ago I was staying at Forrest Service cabin. There was some cut firewood available, but no kindling. And the ground was covered in 6"-36"  of snow.  I used a big "Canadian Camp Knife" to baton actual logs into kindling. Then broke some kindling down into fine pieces of wood to use as tinder. Worked perfectly and, even slightly frozen, I got a good blaze going in a matter of minutes.

My hunting buddy had not seen this technique. He wasn't sure e could have gotten a fire going. He was impressed enough by the technique that he bought himself a big camp knife after we got back.  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #1234 on: December 28, 2018, 10:12:41 PM
BRKT Canadian camp knife? that is a thing of beauty. But that is also a larger knife that really should be able to handle such use. You ever tried Fallkniven knives? I'm curious what you think of their performance and handles since your enviroment is not really forgiving and you've got big hands

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1235 on: December 28, 2018, 10:28:16 PM
Stand by.....

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1236 on: December 28, 2018, 10:43:48 PM
I really like everything I know about Fallkniven.

After a bit of research and consideration, I got this S1:

OK, so it looks a bit funny.......

While I love the Fallkniven S1, I tend to not carry it. The handle is a bit small for me. So....I added some camo grip tape. This made a big difference for the way the knife feels. But I'm not sure it's a durable solution for me. (I could make it durable by soaking it in superglue, but that is a one-way ticket.) Since adding the grip tape, I have only used the S1 for relatively light tasks.

Still, the handle feels better to me.

The sheath is some kind of plastic. It is well designed and very sensible....but I found it could be noisy. Like loud noisy. So I added a bit of tape to the sheath. This seems to help, but then I stopped carrying the knife. I took it on some motorcycle camping trips, but never really used it.

Aside from the edge being a bit polished, it looks nearly new:

So here's a funny thing. I've got a knife I really like, but one that doesn't really suit me. A knife that gets left at home more often than it gets to go out on the road. For a while I thought it might serve as an emergency kit knife.....but it doesn't even do that.

* sheesh! * Just checked the edge and it's sharp! Hair cutting sharp!

I'm at a loss as to an opinion about this knife. One the one hand, I think it is the best thing since Excalibur, on the other hand.....it doesn't really suit me.

If you want to give it a tryout, Styx, I'll send it over to you. It ain't doing much here.  :dunno:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:46:39 PM by Nix »

hr Offline styx

Reply #1237 on: December 28, 2018, 11:31:25 PM
That sounds a lot like me and the Spyderco Sage I mentioned earlier. Funny thing I've actually carried that knife a good bit but anytime I thought there would be more than a quick cut it got switched out for a SAK. Still managed to put a few unappealing scratches on it while sharpening  :facepalm:

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it one day. The handle of the S1 being small is concerning though. You were spot on with the Para2 so wouldn't surprise me if I got to the same conclusion

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1238 on: December 28, 2018, 11:33:46 PM
Well, the offer stands. Give it some thought. There is a lot to like about the S1.  Cheers,  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1239 on: December 28, 2018, 11:45:19 PM
Styx, cleaned it up for ya.

There is a bit of a rattle now, when the sheathed knife is shaken.

I think I would consider making a leather sheath for it. Or....glue a bit of bicycle inner tube inside the sheath. I've done that with other knives and it has worked out well.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1240 on: December 28, 2018, 11:46:39 PM
Excellent little hammer pommel on the S1. Sharp enough to be used as a ferro rod striker.
  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #1241 on: December 29, 2018, 09:32:28 AM
well you're efficient.

I remember reading that the sheath was designed to be a looser fit to prevent freezing in the sheath, especially if the blade was put it wet

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #1242 on: December 30, 2018, 04:11:02 PM
This is a Buck 116 Caper.These knives were discontinued many years ago.They are much sought by collectors.My brother and I have committed a mortal sin,by collectors standards, by modifying this knife.

The first picture shows the side view.You can see some of the modifications we created with this knife.The most dramatic modification is noticeable with the second photo,illustrating the slimness of the handle in its new configuration.

In its current configuration it makes for very small and compact carry knife The blade is only 3 1/4" and even to the uninitiated,it almost looks like a toy.
buck116-2-1.JPG
* buck116-2-1.JPG (Filesize: 134.71 KB)
buck116-1.JPG
* buck116-1.JPG (Filesize: 160.85 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1243 on: December 30, 2018, 04:22:08 PM
 :like:

hr Offline styx

Reply #1244 on: December 30, 2018, 04:39:29 PM

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #1245 on: December 30, 2018, 05:24:48 PM

:iagree:

Thanks guys.

My brother and I modified a series of these Buck knives into what we've termed  a "Slim-Line" series.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline David

Reply #1246 on: December 30, 2018, 05:35:10 PM
This is a Buck 116 Caper.These knives were discontinued many years ago.They are much sought by collectors.My brother and I have committed a mortal sin,by collectors standards, by modifying this knife.

The first picture shows the side view.You can see some of the modifications we created with this knife.The most dramatic modification is noticeable with the second photo,illustrating the slimness of the handle in its new configuration.

In its current configuration it makes for very small and compact carry knife The blade is only 3 1/4" and even to the uninitiated,it almost looks like a toy.

Good mod TG!    :like:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #1247 on: December 30, 2018, 10:24:16 PM
Good mod TG!    :like:

Thanks David.

Happy New Year.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #1248 on: January 06, 2019, 06:11:25 AM
I didn't carry-it today, but gave-it some TLC.  My classic, Al Mar 'Special Forces' model.

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1249 on: January 06, 2019, 04:21:26 PM
Such a cool knife......  :like:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #1250 on: January 06, 2019, 11:45:37 PM
Such a cool knife......  :like:

Thanks, Nix!  It's a wonderful piece of blade artistry, and functionality.  I thought it was 'pricey' when I purchased-it years ago.  But, now they're astronomical in value since Al Mar passed.  Thanks again, for looking.  Cheers!!
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1251 on: February 14, 2019, 07:24:07 AM
Been enjoying carrying this one. 
IMG_6615.jpg
* IMG_6615.jpg (Filesize: 161.7 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #1252 on: February 14, 2019, 09:41:39 AM
How are the serrations? Do you have a use for them much?
Andrew

pt Offline FInixNOver

Reply #1253 on: February 14, 2019, 11:42:49 AM
I've been carrying this one for the last couple of weeks, since I'm participating in February's fixie challenge.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #1254 on: February 14, 2019, 12:57:46 PM
I've been carrying this one for the last couple of weeks, since I'm participating in February's fixie challenge.
(Image removed from quote.)

That was a nice mod you did on that blade FNO
Andrew

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1255 on: February 14, 2019, 01:48:22 PM

I dont mind them on this blade.  I would have preferred none but they guy I got it from chose this model.  They are very sharp so thats good but so far no real need for them.  I don't mind serrations but combo blades not so much.  I will say I do like how they dont take up too much realestate. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1256 on: February 14, 2019, 01:49:29 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

:tu: been keeping an eye on that thread.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #1257 on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:29 PM

I dont mind them on this blade.  I would have preferred none but they guy I got it from chose this model.  They are very sharp so thats good but so far no real need for them.  I don't mind serrations but combo blades not so much.  I will say I do like how they dont take up too much realestate.
:cheers: maybe they'll be just right for something one day. Serrations can be good on ferro rods if you don't care about them staying sharp.
Andrew

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1258 on: February 14, 2019, 02:32:13 PM
Yeah they can be advantageous at times.  This is the only fixed blade I have with a combo edge.  Maybe one day I'll be glad I have them.  I got a decent price on the knife so I couldn't pass on it.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #1259 on: February 19, 2019, 01:24:32 AM
The CRKT SPEW.
IMG_20190218_192227502-1024x576.jpg
* IMG_20190218_192227502-1024x576.jpg (Filesize: 166.44 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44