Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Squirt modification

zepla · 59 · 8258

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Squirt modification
on: June 05, 2008, 01:37:39 AM
I'm not sure if I over looked some other topic. But I'm looking for some help about the pins which hold a squirt together. I have tried to do a mod on a squirt and I took it apart by just drilling out the pins. But not really thought through that at one point everything should go back in and that I need something to hold it together :think: I've tought about rivets but I don't think that's going to work. Any suggestions?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Squirt modification
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:42:58 AM
Check out this thread:Scibeer's SAK assembler.

Same principle applied to the Squirt may work for you. What mod are you going to do?

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:02:32 AM
I work with boats and often have to cut some rope. And a serrated knife will do that job the best, I think. Usually I use the knife on my wave but I do not have it always with me. In that case I use the squirt. So I want a serrated knife in that one. And I want it to be locking as well. I already took it apart and I'm half way to put in a Spyderco ladybug knife in it. Those are rasor sharp and made of proper steel. I'll post some picture if my camera ever comes in from a shady online store (but that an other story), it will make things a bit more clear, I guess.
Anyway, I found some hollow brass tube that just fits nicely and screwed a tread (is that correct english?) in it so I can bolt it al together. But the result is bulky and not very tight. (The knife locking system will be my next problem)

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:04:20 AM
O yeah, I forget to mention. I've seen that thread. But can find a picture of the end result. Or am I just blind  8)

Offline scibeer

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:02:20 PM
I didn't take any pictures of the finished knife for that thread since  was just trying to show the jig.   I'll try and find some shots of peening and post them.

You basically want to get a brass rod the same diameter as the pin you took out of the squirt and reassemble the knife, then leave about 2mm of brass on either side to peen over with a round tip hammer.   Tap on the ends of the brass very lightly and slowly mold it into a head on each side.   It takes me a hundred shots or more on each side for reference.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:11:05 PM
100+!?  :o  Must take you ages.
I'm back!!

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:21:06 PM
Thanks scibeer, but somehow it sounds more easy than it is  :D Looking forward for a pic of the end result. In the mean time I'm on the hunt for some thin (1 or 1.5 mm) memory steel. (I'm not sure if that's the correct english translation for the steel I'm looking for) Because I do want some sort of liner lock for the knife. To much blood lost in the past with those non locking knifes! 

Offline scibeer

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:48:03 AM

I'm a fast tapper.   

It goes pretty quickly.    I counted 655 taps on a farmer the other day.     I thought it woud be a much lower number.

It would probably be more useful to show pictures of the process with an alox knife since you won't be using rivets on your squirt.   Brass or nickel silver rod is the way to go.   

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 05:04:08 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to get a small Spyderco full serrated knife? If you are wanting the squirt for the tools, why not pair the Spyderco with a LM Kick? ???
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 12:39:54 PM

I'm a fast tapper.   

It goes pretty quickly.    I counted 655 taps on a farmer the other day.     I thought it woud be a much lower number.

It would probably be more useful to show pictures of the process with an alox knife since you won't be using rivets on your squirt.   Brass or nickel silver rod is the way to go.   

655 taps  :o.  How long does it take you then to just build a Farmer ( just building not stripping the coating off etc)?
I'm back!!

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 05:03:39 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to get a small Spyderco full serrated knife? If you are wanting the squirt for the tools, why not pair the Spyderco with a LM Kick? ???

Because at work I alway have my trusty Wave on my belt. But there are some days that I just want a small tool in my pocket. And it seems that the Kick is not that much smaller as the wave.

My ideal tool, besides the wave, would be a squirt size tool (pliers) with a decent locking knife. That's not to much to ask, is it now?  :D
So if any one has a good suggestion of a tool that fits that discription I would love to hear it. Otherwise I'm stuck with my own uncapable hands to build one.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 05:04:58 PM
What if you got a SAK? Maybe like an OHT or something?
B

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 05:18:50 PM
I've never really cared for the SAK's. But I have to admit I never really looked at them. On the other hand I never was a real MT guy either untill I needed some sort of tool for my work and encountered by accidant my current wave.
I think that was one of the best investment of my life (besides my girlfriend that is  ;)) That's why I'm more of a MT guy than a SAK guy. Especially Leatherman, it just never lets me down!

But I don't want to be narrow minded and open for everything. Do you have any SAK in particular in mind?

Offline scibeer

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 05:39:25 PM
Hmmm, can't really think of anything that would fit the bill.    Nothing that small at least.

The Wave is a great tool and if you're used to carrying it, you will miss the easy opening one hand blade and the strong pliers switching to a SAK IMO.

Vic still doesn't have the all in one package available in the multitool format.     That said, I like the Spirit better than any other multitool even without the one hand opening blade.

Ben,    Sounds like a lot of taps but each pin only takes about 1 minute to peen once you get the swing of things.     

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 05:49:59 PM
I never had a Spirit in my hands but it seems like a well made tool as well. But as you pointed out, I really need a one hand opening ( and closing) knife. On boats the first thing you learn is that one hand is for the boat and one for your self. You don't want to fall overboard  :D
 The pliers on a squirt are not that great either when you look at it but they seems surprisingly functional in my experience.

It looks like I'm back at making something myself. The riveting earlier mentioned is not the way to go in my head, but if you have experience with that I like to hear it. It would make thing a lot more simple.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 01:17:40 AM
The knife pivot is at the pliers end of the Juice...I have my doubts about the shear strength of the brass pin stock that we use for SAKs for a Juice mod. A magnet tells me that the Juice pins are steel.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 01:23:28 AM
The knife pivot is at the pliers end of the Juice...I have my doubts about the shear strength of the brass pin stock that we use for SAKs for a Juice mod. A magnet tells me that the Juice pins are steel.

That's a very good point. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 12:50:14 PM
This is what I have so far. Don't laugh, it's my first attempt  :D And I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing  :think:

* P1000076 - kopie.jpg (Filesize: 34.94 KB)

* P1000077 - kopie.jpg (Filesize: 32.68 KB)

* P1000078 - kopie.jpg (Filesize: 38.8 KB)

* P1000080 - kopie.jpg (Filesize: 39.04 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 02:17:33 PM
Ahh, it makes sense now with pictures. That is quite a project. Do the screws not work properly as pivot pins?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 03:34:05 PM
No the screws does not have the right diameter. If I remember it correct the pin hole is 3.2 mm and as far as I know there are no screws with that diameter. At the moment I use hollow brass tube that fits exactly in the hole, tapped tread in it and used M2 screws to bold every thing together.

And to make things more easy  :ahhh I had to find something to keep it together at the knife tip end that fits flush. So that the knife, which is a bit longer than the original knife, can be closed. If you know what I mean...

But I keep thinking back about the riveting option  :think:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 03:41:40 PM

And to make things more easy I had to find something to keep it together at the knife tip end that fits flush. So that the knife, which is a bit longer than the original knife, can be closed. If you know what I mean...

Yes I see what you mean.

No the screws does not have the right diameter. If I remember it correct the pin hole is 3.2 mm and as far as I know there are no screws with that diameter. At the moment I use hollow brass tube that fits exactly in the hole, tapped tread in it and used M2 screws to bold every thing together.

3.2mm equals 1/8 inch American. What you need then would therefore be #5 screws. They are not commonly available even here, but can be found.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 04:51:51 PM
I see what your doing now! That actually looks like a great idea!
B

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 05:42:41 PM
Yeah, that's what I tought  :D

@ J-sews, #5 srews? I'm not sure if those can be found overhere. At least I did not found anything that would fit snug. But if I ever find them, you suggest just a screw through the squirt and a bolt at the otherside?  That's would be the best option I guess. That way I can take it apart if I want to clean it or something like that. But where can I get those right size nuts and bolt?  :think: (Sorry, just thinking out loud)

BTW, any thoughts about a knife locking mechanisme?

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 06:47:15 PM
Doh! I was thinking the Juice this whole time :think:...the Squirt is a pretty tiny platform to try to fit a lock into.

My thought was that the Ladybug blade and locking mechanism could be re-housed between thinner stainless steel liners shaped to match the profile of the Juice handle and bolting it on the side. That would make it unnecessary to take apart the tool...you would just need to drill and tap a couple of mounting holes.

* juicebug01.jpg (Filesize: 35.23 KB)

* juicebug02.jpg (Filesize: 43.03 KB)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 06:48:59 PM by SporK »

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 06:49:40 PM
Couple more pics...

* juicebug03.jpg (Filesize: 59.17 KB)

* juicebug04.jpg (Filesize: 49.03 KB)

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 07:32:44 PM
Doh! I was thinking the Juice this whole time :think:...the Squirt is a pretty tiny platform to try to fit a lock into.

Yes, I know now! And that's is exactly what I like about the squirt. It is for me the perfect pocket toy. Only thing missing is a decent locking knife in mho. But thank you for thinking with me. I'm almost getting the feeling that it can't be done  :( At least not with my skills and equippment... :cry:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 09:05:57 PM
Yeah, that's what I tought  :D

@ J-sews, #5 srews? I'm not sure if those can be found overhere. At least I did not found anything that would fit snug. But if I ever find them, you suggest just a screw through the squirt and a bolt at the otherside?  That's would be the best option I guess. That way I can take it apart if I want to clean it or something like that. But where can I get those right size nuts and bolt?  :think: (Sorry, just thinking out loud)

BTW, any thoughts about a knife locking mechanisme?

Yes #5 screws are exactly 1/8" diameter (3.2mm). You would need two screws and two nuts. Although I do not know what you can do about the knife blade being too long.....other than to grind it shorter.

Also it will be difficult to make the knife lock open. The "memory steel" you mentioned is called spring steel in English. Perhaps you could get a small piece from some other device, like a spring clip for office supplies.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 09:56:41 PM
Ah ha, "spring" steel. That makes sence  :D

About those #5 screws I'll find them, I'm sure. I found some Dutch knife makers on the internet. They should have a few laying aroud I suppose. But smart thinking J-sews, regarding the spring steel. I already looked around the house and couldn't find anything I could use. But tomorrow I'm back at the office, there should be something I can use.

In the mean time I've gazed at the squirt for quit some time now and perhaps I should try something completly different. Not sure what, perhaps make entirely new handles and just use the pliers from the Squirt. I like the spring loaded pliers and the size of the total package. Or, I do have a spyderco dragonfly laying around, little bigger but very light as well, perhaps that will combine somehow with the pliers and will make a good plan B. But Leatherman and Spyderco do not come cheap over here so can't screw that one up like it looks like I'm doing right now with the Squirt  :ahhh

Well, first we'll see what I can dig up at the office...

Offline kent ct

Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 01:22:46 AM
Ah ha, "spring" steel. That makes sence  :D

About those #5 screws I'll find them, I'm sure. I found some Dutch knife makers on the internet. They should have a few laying aroud I suppose. But smart thinking J-sews, regarding the spring steel. I already looked around the house and couldn't find anything I could use. But tomorrow I'm back at the office, there should be something I can use.

In the mean time I've gazed at the squirt for quit some time now and perhaps I should try something completly different. Not sure what, perhaps make entirely new handles and just use the pliers from the Squirt. I like the spring loaded pliers and the size of the total package. Or, I do have a spyderco dragonfly laying around, little bigger but very light as well, perhaps that will combine somehow with the pliers and will make a good plan B. But Leatherman and Spyderco do not come cheap over here so can't screw that one up like it looks like I'm doing right now with the Squirt  :ahhh

Another thought. How about 1/8 dowel pins. Easy to soften so you can file. Two ten thousands over size so can make a tight very strong pivot. For the ends, two brass bushings which can be riveted into or just Loctite in the bushing. I have spring steel .025 or .63  mm. a bit under 10mm wide, very strong. If you would like to try this I will make the brass bushings and mail you a piece of spring steel the length you need along with the dowel pins which I will soften. Email me if you want to try.

Richard 
Well, first we'll see what I can dig up at the office...

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 01:41:35 AM
Are you kidding me, send something over?  :cheers: That sounds great!

But before I ask something like that I'll check out our office supplies first and see if I can make something work myself. And meassure that pin hole exactly, or are you sure that it is the 3.2 mm I think it is?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%