Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Magnifying Glass Lens

us Offline RoboYeti

Wenger Magnifying Glass Lens
on: March 26, 2014, 09:18:06 PM
I just picked up a Wenger Motorist from eBay. It's my first SAK with a magnifying glass, and I am having an issue. The little lens has already fallen out on me once. It seems to be held in place only by a mild amount of tension. It stays in place normally, but if you apply pressure to the lens, it starts to move and soon pops out. I noticed this while I was oiling the knife, so it could be that the oil helped the lens slide out. Thankfully I was able to see where it landed, but I'm obviously worried to use the magnifier in case it happens again.

Do other people have this problem? I'm assuming that brand new, the magnifying lens is either held in place more tightly by the metal ring around it, or there is some kind of adhesive used. What do the tool experts recommend I do to fix it? I'm considering a very small amount of superglue, since the lens is mineral crystal glass, it shouldn't be damaged by the glue.

I would prefer not to use Wenger's warranty on this knife, since I got it used for a fairly cheap price.

us Offline Donald

Re: Wenger Magnifying Glass Lens
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:25:56 PM
I'll look forward to the responses, but I do not have a Wenger with a magnifying lens. I would note that if you grab the lens on the newest style Victorinox Magnifier, it will also pop out.* The solution is to use it as a magnifier and not grab it in the first place. It will also keep it cleaner for viewing. I suppose you could accidentally brush it against the object being magnified or one's face as you peer through it. The Vic seems robust enough for a mild incidental contact. From the way you word it, the Wenger version does not sound any (or much) looser.

----------
*There is a thread(s) somewhere with some discussion of the different Victorinox magnifiers. Perhaps it was in a discussion of the Swiss Champ.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:39:11 PM
Looking at a Wenger magnifier thru a Vic lens there is Not an additional ring round the lens holding it in but in a couple places there seems to be some adhesive so... if it was me I would put a drop of Super Glue on a piece of paper, rotate the lens to barely touch the glue on its edge, and put the lens in place. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:15:17 PM by J Mackrel Jones »
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:42:48 PM
Interesting.  Thats a problem I hadnt heard of before.  I do have one wenger mag glass so now Im off to inspect mine.  I would guess a small amount of glue will do the try though. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:31:14 PM
I had once one Wenger with the missing lens.
After some time I found in a local shop some old replacement parts, and one of these was the lens.
It was made of plastic, however, not glass.
I seem to remember a kind of very small indentation (if this is the correct word) just in the middle of the round metal frame. Not 100% sure, though.
For sure it was not an easy job to install the replacement lens, and I had to sand it a little on the borders.
Once installed, however, it sat there very tight

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 07:41:13 PM
I have one with no mag glass...plan on using it this summer to blow bubbles out of....my grandson will be suitably impressed (and I'll probably have to give it to him).  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:20:44 PM
I have one with no mag glass...plan on using it this summer to blow bubbles out of....my grandson will be suitably impressed (and I'll probably have to give it to him).  :D

Either way you turn, SAK always wins ...  :whistle:

us Offline RoboYeti

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:43:35 AM
I'm going to glue it. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 04:09:49 AM
If you plan on using superglue, make sure you get the "non-fogging" type or your lens will quite likely be ruined.
Perhaps some 5min epoxy would be a better choice.

Captain Obvious tip #1...
What ever adhesive you use try to keep it only around the edge and off the viewing surfaces of the lens.

us Offline RoboYeti

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 07:31:10 PM
I went to the hardware store and searched for a glue that bonds metal and glass and dries clear. I found Loctite Go2 Glue. It has the advantage of being re-positionable for 5 minutes, too, instead of instantly bonding. I applied a very small amount to the metal ring and then inserted the lens, wiped off the excess, and let it sit for a few hours. Seems to have worked perfectly.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:11 PM
... it seems well-done  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99