Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone into models? If so what kind? Wood, plastic, metal?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
I posted a little back asking about airbrushing cause I want to get back into a hobby cause I need something to get my mind off of some things and one thing I always enjoyed was models! Most were cars or motor cycles, but I'm thinking of military this time around and also other things, I had two wood ones stashed that I started on, one was a aircraft carrier which I finished, and another that I started is the titanic, but I always was into the plastic ones, yet yesterday I spotted metal ones online, I thought they looked neat! So I thought I would just ask if there's anyone else into models and if so what kind and post pics! JR

Here's a pic of the ship.
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone into models? If so what kind? Wood, plastic, metal?
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 07:07:11 PM
I used to like car models, though I was never good at them :-\. I was only ever interested in the muscle cars, when I was younger I used to like working on them because it was letting me pretend to work on the cars I dreamed I would have :D. That ship is very cool looking! :salute: I'm half blind(not really) but that is wood right??
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 07:16:51 PM
I used to build Airfix and Revell models, mostly aircrafts. And then I amassed a collection of Warhammer 40'000 models. Sadly I took an arrow to my motivation and I still have to built and paint most of them.

I will be celebrating 'International Tabletop Day' this weekend, so hopefully this will be a starting point to finish some of them. I will dust them off over the week and try to get some good pictures. This thread has an excellent timing!  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:23:24 PM
I used to like car models, though I was never good at them :-\. I was only ever interested in the muscle cars, when I was younger I used to like working on them because it was letting me pretend to work on the cars I dreamed I would have :D. That ship is very cool looking! :salute: I'm half blind(not really) but that is wood right??
Yeah it's a wood, first wood I ever did, I always loved working on those pre 70's muscle cars! I also used to trim the under half and lower the suspension, just like you would do on the real car, that was fun! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:40:27 PM
I used to build Airfix and Revell models, mostly aircrafts. And then I amassed a collection of Warhammer 40'000 models. Sadly I took an arrow to my motivation and I still have to built and paint most of them.

I will be celebrating 'International Tabletop Day' this weekend, so hopefully this will be a starting point to finish some of them. I will dust them off over the week and try to get some good pictures. This thread has an excellent timing!  :tu:
I did two aircrafts, a b52 and a apache, long long ago! I wouldn't mind getting into some of those planes and helicopters, like the tiger shark P-40B, p-51 mustang or chinook helicopter. Anyway good luck with your warhammer 40K! JR

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 09:08:31 PM

For Chaos!!!

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:13:17 PM
TYRANIDS!!! :viking: :viking: :viking:

Sadly my army isn't done yet.. :( The guy at games workshop was a bit freaked out when I showed him my half finished broodlord though. :D "what's he holding in his claw?" - "green stuff made innards!" - "..." :rofl:
I think it was a bit shocking from a girl :rofl:

-----------------------------

Stalking RT

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 09:16:14 PM

Sadly my army isn't done yet.. :( The guy at games workshop was a bit freaked out when I showed him my half finished broodlord though. :D "what's he holding in his claw?" - "green stuff made innards!" - "..." :rofl:

Stalking RT

At least you're not getting Alien-type swap heads and modelling Space Marines with Face Huggers attached  :think:

Yeah, he was a bit prudish for someone whop is painting skulls all day  :D

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:39 PM

Stalking RT

At least you're not getting Alien-type swap heads and modelling Space Marines with Face Huggers attached  :think:

Yeah, he was a bit prudish for someone whop is painting skulls all day  :D

Don't tempt me!!!

Stalking RT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:34 PM
Ok now I'm lost :think: JR

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:36:19 PM

For the Dark Gods!!!
Mahahahahaha!

Stalking RT

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 09:38:17 PM

For the Dark Gods!!!
Mahahahahaha!

Stalking RT

that's us mobile

Stop your heretic propaganda! All hail the hive!!

Stalking RT

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 09:46:27 PM

:police: There is but one guiding beacon and that is the Emperor's undying love for mankind. Praise his glory!  :whistle:

Fear the heretic.  :assimilate: Burn the Xenos.  :twak: Suffer not the witch to live!   :_c:

:b2t:

Yeah, the GW crowd can be a little nerdy sometimes  ;)
When I was a little more innocent, I used to build lots of 1/72 airplanes with my grandpa. Mostly wwi and wwii stuff. But also an Eurofighter and the CVN-65 Enterprise (but not in 1/72, obviously!). Still have some boxes lying here, an 1/72 A10 and a 1/48 Ju-88. But first I need to finish some 40k Stuff, mainly some Space Marines and some Orkzes.
Smurf it, there I was trying to change the topic  :whistle:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 10:24:18 PM

:police: There is but one guiding beacon and that is the Emperor's undying love for mankind. Praise his glory!  :whistle:

Fear the heretic.  :assimilate: Burn the Xenos.  :twak: Suffer not the witch to live!   :_c:

:b2t:

Yeah, the GW crowd can be a little nerdy sometimes  ;)
When I was a little more innocent, I used to build lots of 1/72 airplanes with my grandpa. Mostly wwi and wwii stuff. But also an Eurofighter and the CVN-65 Enterprise (but not in 1/72, obviously!). Still have some boxes lying here, an 1/72 A10 and a 1/48 Ju-88. But first I need to finish some 40k Stuff, mainly some Space Marines and some Orkzes.
Smurf it, there I was trying to change the topic  :whistle:
Huh? Ok now I'm even more lost? JR

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 11:47:17 PM

For the Dark Gods!!!
Mahahahahaha!

Stalking RT

that's us mobile

Stop your heretic propaganda! All hail the hive!!

Stalking RT
The weak fight back!
Lmao!

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 11:52:24 PM

Death to the false Emperor!
This is fun! I love 40k
On a more serious note. I like to do some of the plane and make sailing ship. Windjammers and Clippers are my favorite. I should get back into again.
that's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:47 PM
Ah, 40K.....  :dd:  I had my Dark Angel force, to go along with my Warhammer Imperial army.  :tu:  As for other models, when i was younger I built a large number of aircraft.  My personal favorite was a 1/72 scale B-36 Peacemaker.  That sucker had a 3' wingspan!  :o  I keep thinking about getting back into it, but can't find a decent hobby shop nearby.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 11:56:23 PM
Ah, 40K.....  :dd:  I had my Dark Angel force, to go along with my Warhammer Imperial army.  :tu:  As for other models, when i was younger I built a large number of aircraft.  My personal favorite was a 1/72 scale B-36 Peacemaker.  That sucker had a 3' wingspan!  :o  I keep thinking about getting back into it, but can't find a decent hobby shop nearby.
Has the Warp overtaken you too?

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 12:03:07 AM
Has the Warp overtaken you too?

that's us mobile

:D  It's been so long since I played any of those games.  Funny you say Warp, the local shop that sold all the GW stuff near us growing up was called Time Warp.  To get there before we had cars, we would walk.  Since it was several towns over, we'd take a short cut, through an abandoned sanatorium.....  :ahhh  Getting to the store was half the fun!  It was a VERY creepy place, but we knew those buildings like the back of our hand.  County cops would show up, we'd pop into one of the buildings, down into the basement, through the service tunnels, and we'd reappear on the other side of the complex.  Not the smartest place to be playing I suppose, but still....... http://www.mountainsanatorium.net/default.htm
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 02:02:47 AM
I was big into plastic model kits when I was in High School. My main enjoyment was sailing ships. I loved the technical difficulty in doing the rigging. An odd fact, although that was back in the mid to late 80s, I donated most of those plastic ships to my High School's Library. Funny enough, they are still there to this day which simply astounds me.

As for recently, I don't have as much time as I like to do modeling. I have another sailing ship still boxed and a set of 5 NASA rockets to do whenever I have the time, or the inclination. My last model was a Polaris nuclear submarine called the USS George Washington that I did last Summer. I bought it because I liked the interior detailing.

Here is the model in its resting place in the living room.

And a close up of the bridge area.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:05:41 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 04:42:04 AM
Nice Chako! Believe it or not I was looking at that exact one earlier because it's a level 3, and it also has over 200 parts! Of course the price had to go up too, but still, that's one that has my eye on it! JR

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 10:38:28 AM
can't believe nobody has mentioned bikini models yet. 

:oops: I just did :whistle:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 12:24:44 PM
can't believe nobody has mentioned bikini models yet. 

:oops: I just did :whistle:
Smart butt! Lol, JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 12:35:33 PM
When I was but a kid, I did the other model in this series...a Germany Uboat. I didn't do a very good job at the time as I was only 9 and didn't paint anything. Feeling nostalgic, I found this at a local Hobby store and bought it. I had it in a box for years before finding the time to work on it. I do believe I was wrong on the date however. It was two Summers ago when I did it. Time does fly by.

Thanks to this thread, I bought another cut away submarine, the Type XXI from Revell. It isn't the Type VII B of U 47 of my youth...but it is close.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 01:08:30 PM
When I was but a kid, I did the other model in this series...a Germany Uboat. I didn't do a very good job at the time as I was only 9 and didn't paint anything. Feeling nostalgic, I found this at a local Hobby store and bought it. I had it in a box for years before finding the time to work on it. I do believe I was wrong on the date however. It was two Summers ago when I did it. Time does fly by.

Thanks to this thread, I bought another cut away submarine, the Type XXI from Revell. It isn't the Type VII B of U 47 of my youth...but it is close.
So you bought one yesterday thanks to me? My bad, but I'll expect progress pics on it! Sooner or later I might get to Wally World to pick something up, like I said, I'm starting fresh so I don't have any paints or anything.. But I'm working on the wood titanic one! Just with everything going on this week by the time I have time I'm to tired to do anything.. Maybe today I'll get some time on it, providing nothing goes wrong(fingers crossed)! Oh crap, this is April first! Great! JR

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 01:14:34 PM
I like the ship models shown here!
I am an avid Civilization player, so last year I tinkered with the idea of building some ship models through the ages in one scale (I started planning a Slope in 1:500). I only managed to make some drawings, but can you give me some scales and dimensions on the models you built?

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 01:17:33 PM
When I was younger I did a variety of cars, boats and planes. I still have a few kits that have somehow followed me around over the years that I keep meaning to finish. Most are 70s Plymouth 'Cudas.

Might be something good to distract me a bit, but I guess that means I need a shopping trip for glue/paint/brushes  :ahhh even though I've also wanted a proper airbrush for ages...

The biggest issue was that I moved every few years and finished models would not survive the move.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 02:10:37 PM
I like the ship models shown here!
I am an avid Civilization player, so last year I tinkered with the idea of building some ship models through the ages in one scale (I started planning a Slope in 1:500). I only managed to make some drawings, but can you give me some scales and dimensions on the models you built?
Who, where? JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 02:17:56 PM
When I was younger I did a variety of cars, boats and planes. I still have a few kits that have somehow followed me around over the years that I keep meaning to finish. Most are 70s Plymouth 'Cudas.

Might be something good to distract me a bit, but I guess that means I need a shopping trip for glue/paint/brushes  :ahhh even though I've also wanted a proper airbrush for ages...

The biggest issue was that I moved every few years and finished models would not survive the move.
Ain't that the truth. I'm tired of moving, I had a bunch of models but ditched them, I want a five tier shelf so I can stack any new ones I build, and this time keep any! and a airbrush would be sweet, if they weren't so freaking expensive! JR

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 02:39:22 PM
Sorry, I drifted a bit in this last post.  :-[

The only ship models I could see myself building are a collection of different ship classes through the age of man (from some ancient greek Triremes, over Sloop, Carrack, Ship of the Line to Dreadnought, Aircraft Carrier to an AEGIS cruiser).

I got this inspiration from the Tech-Screen of Civilization IV (PC Game), where you play an Civilization from 4000 BC to 2050 AD and improve your navy over time.
I found a (very large, sorry) picture with the unit upgrades. In the second row you see ancient ships on the left, modern on the right and SciFi units on the far right.
Show content

So I thought about building some of these ship types in a common scale as a vitrine piece.
I justed wanted to ask you, in which scale you built your ship models, and which dimensions the finished models have.
I thought about building this project (if I ever start it) in 1:500. Thus, a Trireme would be about 5cm and a Supercarrier about 60cm long, with the rest in between.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%