Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOL Stoke Multi-tool Shovel.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
SOL Stoke Multi-tool Shovel.
on: May 28, 2022, 07:27:59 AM
I have been known to buy stupid stuff. I cannot tell you how many times I hated myself for buying Bear Grylls Gerber stuff. Mind you, that pain has lessened with the march of time, and now that Gerber no longer sells Bear marketed items, I am sort of happy I tortured myself with self loathing in the past. This item ranks right up there with the Gerber Grylls gear. Meet something I think is utterly ridiculous...the SOL Stoke Survival Shovel. The handle is wrapped with paracord, making it a bit too big to comfortably use it with the cord wrapped around the handle. I guess everything is better with paracord, and I know it can be useful in emergency circumstances, but the addition of it here is uncomfortable. Worse yet, it also prevents the cheap plastic end cap to secure the hollow handle compartment. Inside the handle, you will find just enough space for a fire steel and 4 pieces of fire starter. That cap should have been better designed. As it stands, the 4 arms does little to secure it in place. The hole in the center for the paracord to go through it is more so that you don't lose it rather than to provide a lanyard. The functionality of the um...shovel...more like a trowel is ok. You get the usual saw, sharp edge, bottle opener, cable cutter, etc. The included sheath is nice. I suppose this could be a good thing for those who like to metal detect and may require to make a fire somewhere. Frankly, I cannot see myself carrying this on a camping trip. I could be lacking in imagination. I still felt silly buying this however.

20220527_234220A by Chako, on Flickr

20220527_233543A by Chako, on Flickr

20220527_233556A by Chako, on Flickr

20220527_233620A by Chako, on Flickr

20220527_233656A by Chako, on Flickr

20220527_233852A by Chako, on Flickr

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: SOL Stoke Multi-tool Shovel.
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 08:43:57 AM
Once again, I thank you for your noble sacrifice, thus saving the rest of us from doing the same  ... :pok:   :rofl:    :salute:   ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 11:23:45 AM
Like Greg said  :salute:

...I'm always puzzled about holes in a shovel/trowel   :think:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 11:48:45 AM
Me <---  :twak:
 :hatsoff:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 02:43:05 PM
This thing could do a great job planting carrots and bulbs in a pot.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 10:56:46 PM
That it would

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 06:38:25 AM
Well, it has been common practice as long as I've been going camping to have a little shovel to bury your you know what in the woods.  I guess the manufacturer here figured if you're going to carry a trowel anyway it might as well have some other uses.
About on that same line of thinking I have heard of hiking and camping experts trying to use a hori hori as a multi-purpose survival knife. This one is more trowel than hori hori though isn't it.  Unfortunately, their timing is off because more and more places are requiring people carry bio-bags, and carry it out instead of burying it, so there's less and less need to carry a trowel.
 :oops:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD