Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hardness of screwdrivers on SwissTool

Offline silentio

Hardness of screwdrivers on SwissTool
on: June 07, 2008, 06:29:57 AM
My experience with an OHT was that the Philips screwdriver isn't that strong. The screw I was using managed to eat into the screwdriver slightly when I was screwing it into some chipboard. The same task using a Leatherman screw bit didn't hurt the bit at all.

That's actually pretty acceptable to me for a SAK, you can't expect Victorinox to use one kind of steel for the knife and saws and then switch to a harder one for the screwdriver--after all, it's not specifically meant for the urban environment. But I'm wondering, since the SwissTool is meant for these kinds of fixing, assembling jobs, does Victorinox use harder steel on its SwissTools than for SAKs?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Hardness of screwdrivers on SwissTool
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:00:09 AM
you can't expect Victorinox to use one kind of steel for the knife and saws and then switch to a harder one for the screwdriver

I believe that is exactly what they do. There is a chart showing hardness numbers for the Victorinox implements. Of course, I can't find the darn thing.

But, Leatherman bits are made with S2 steel which appears to me to be stronger than any integral multi driver by virtue of being a better steel in that application.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 10:57:41 AM
The Swisstools phillips is the same and yes you do have to be carefull with it . As far as I can see this is the only downside to the Swisstool and Spirit . If you use a file to square up the edges from time to time then it will be fine . Mine have never got very bad .

Dunc

Offline silentio

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:33:52 PM
Oh, it's the same as the OHT's... that's a tad disappointing. Thanks for the info.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%