Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Am I the oddball here?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Am I the oddball here?
Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 07:50:33 AM
Gotta agree with you Red  :)

I hate to break it to you dude... but you're a collector.  Anyone who has more than three or four SAKs would be deemed a collector in my opinion.  You may not be as avid a collector as many others, but when you think about new SAKs, when you consider the tool set and the size for carry, or what models you want in what kits/bag/etc... that's a collector talking. 

And strongly disagree Gareth  >:D

I suspect to earn the title 'collector' you have to be buying things with absolutely no intention of using it.  Whether you actually use them day-by-day isn't necessarily the point, but simply the willingness to do so is. 
Gareth (and Sambeaux)  - I think you are confusing being a collector with owning (or collecting!) a set of shelf queens.

I reckon everyone on this forum is a collector - in one way or another.
The things that differ are:
What we collect; Why we collect; How we use (or don't use!) the items in the collections; How many items are in the collections

These things are the interesting things, and what makes this forum, its members .....and collecting  :) .... great !!...

It's what I was trying to explore here...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,50936.msg858429.html#msg858429
BTW - Thanks to all who posted in this thread - I need to update the post myself

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 11:23:06 AM
I didn't like the idea of collecting knives till I realized that was what I was doing. Collecting was something vaguely inferior to using or creating. Then I realized denial is not a river in Egypt and life is too short for worrying about labels when something makes you happy and does not hurt anyone (including yourself).

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 02:35:07 PM
Fair enough. In that sense, I suppose I am a collector. I certainly have enough of the things to qualify, I suppose. LOL

Sam

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 06:02:12 PM
Nope , I've only got a quorum of about 7 SAK's . I've had a SAK since age 12 , but model preferances have changed . I generally gravitate to the larger SAK's - these , I consider tool banks .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD