Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chevy Blazers

Anthony · 41 · 36262

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Chevy Blazers
Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 02:29:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with them, but like I said, I don't trust them myself.  There's something to be said for pulling on a lever and feeling the gears mesh underneath you.

Def

Same here.  Manual linkages for me.  I trust cables and shifters long before and electric or vacuum motor.  If you're not going to be spending much time offroad, don't worry about it.
- Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 03:03:22 PM
Yeah, Terry is right- if you don't plan to get dirty, it's even less important.

However, when the snow flies, and the roads ice over, you may want that extra bit of confidence in knowing that it's on and working too.  Terry doesn't know what Atlantic winters are like, so we'll forgive him for that! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 03:33:56 PM
LOL.  Very true.

I have an electric motor-operated transfer case in my 1995 Bronco, and I'm always sure to test it for proper operation before bad winter weather.  The bad weather here in the southern Midwest is sparse, but that's actually what you have to worry about.  The electric and vacuum motors will sit unused and seize up more easily.
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 11:51:24 PM
The only time I'd put it into 4WD would be for snow and ice...The last winter here in RI many of the streets were not plowed correctly, or not plaowed AT ALL, and I fear this coming winter will be even worse.  The state is screwed up from top to bottom; a 4" snowstorm and a 10-15 minute drive home turned into over 3 hours.  There were kids stuck on school buses until midnight.  That was with 4" of snow.  So buttons on the dash woulden't be a serious problem for me.  And what's a good way to test to see if you actually are using all 4 wheels?   

Anyways enough of my babbling :D  My father is talking me into geting a "newer" Blazer, year 2000 and up.  His whole philosophy is "Get a car NEWER than the one you're getting rid of."  Are the current crop of Blazers fairly easy to work on under the hood, or have they become another vehicle that you HAVE to take to a mechanic to do anything?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 02:02:32 AM
And what's a good way to test to see if you actually are using all 4 wheels?   

Turn it upside down and see which wheels are still moving! :P

Your next step in dealing with bad weather is a set of these:

www.mattracks.com

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 02:20:06 AM
And what's a good way to test to see if you actually are using all 4 wheels?   

Turn it upside down and see which wheels are still moving! :P

Your next step in dealing with bad weather is a set of these:

www.mattracks.com

Def

Those look awesome!  Don't know how far I'd get without being pulled over by the police though...like I'd damage the already bombed out roads here  ::) :D

[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 02:41:30 AM
Yeah, me too, but boy they look like fun, don't they? :D

Def

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 03:24:08 AM
Terry doesn't know what Atlantic winters are like, so we'll forgive him for that!
Granted we don't get the snow like y'all do but we're just cold enough to get freezing rain which is pretty slippery too. Of course with ice it doesn't matter if you have front/rear/all wheel drive because NOTHING moves very good.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 04:09:55 AM
I bought a 1980 4wd K5 Blazer brand new and had several problems with it over the next 7 years.  Since then, I bought Ford 4wd Broncos and F-250s and found them more reliable.  YMMV.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 09:17:06 AM
Terry doesn't know what Atlantic winters are like, so we'll forgive him for that!
Granted we don't get the snow like y'all do but we're just cold enough to get freezing rain which is pretty slippery too. Of course with ice it doesn't matter if you have front/rear/all wheel drive because NOTHING moves very good.

Yup- we get that here too.  Next time we have a good one I'll take pictures- imagine absolutely everything outside covered in 1/4" of slick, wet ice, and that's what we get.  And I mean everything- cars, roads, houses... you name it, all with a nice, thick layer of ice over them!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: April 04, 2009, 09:26:20 PM

Def, Are the two door models any shorter than the four door models?  It's hard to visualize without actually seeing them in person...this whole week I'm going to keep my eyes peeled while I'm out for Blazers :D

The two door models are shorter than 4 door models, by about 6 inches.  :D

My father in law just traded in his '97 4 door for an '04 2 door and the wheelbase has shrunk.  You can kind of see it looking at the truck, but he says it's really noticeable when driving it.

Sorry this info is a little late!  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%