Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Guys its time to have that talk with the women in your lives.

Aloha · 22 · 1997

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
It seems survival and such is male dominated.  I get it and all but its time to talk to the women in your lives about what you know about survival.  Whats that information good for if only you have it?  I guess if you never take the women in your lives out then it's all good?  Nope think again.  What about natural disasters?  What about random situations that are likely to occur? 

Even if its just the basics it important to pass your information on to the women of your lives. 

Same goes with security.  If you are the only one securing your home what happens when the threat requires both of you or you are out of the home?  Don't let the women of your life rely on you for their and your families security solely.  Get them involved with what protocols are in place to protect your home and family.  I know some of you are uber macho and wouldn't dare have the women in your life provide security for you or your family.  IMO that's a big mistake. 

Survival protocols and security protocols are best when everyone in the family is competent and capable of executing.     
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Guys its time to have that talk with the women in your lives.
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:24:42 AM
I don't have much of a concern in that regard- Megan knows how to load and shoot guns, she is very competent with a bow, is more interested in hunting than I am, and as for the safety of the house, well, two large dogs mean we aren't going to be taken by surprise by anything, and we don't have to watch our backs.

As I see it, men are worse than women- many men don't know what to do in an emergency, but are programmed to pretend they do, and often do more harm than good trying to emulate crap they see in the movies and on TV.  Things like first aid kits are useless, no matter how much $$ you spend on them if you have no idea how to use any of the stuff in it, and that is sadly the same for a lot of things- guns, cars, knives, pepper spray, water filters etc.

While it might be a traditional gender issue, I would rather have women around who don't know what to do but might be interested in listening and learning than men who decide they already know and would rather get into a smurf swinging contest than admit they don't know what they are doing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:44:02 AM
I have made my wife get out and unload, load and shoot the pistol several times that we keep in the bedroom and in the knowing what to do aspect she is one of those people I would want in an emergency with me as she is level headed and doesn't get all :ahhh As some people do when the poo hits the fan :D I myself am trained in first aid and CPR and feel rather confident with those skills she has had the classes but not as many times as I have but I know how she is under pressure and would feel safer with her again than I would with most :salute: As for survival she was raised a bit more old school and as her parents are older than mine acquired some skills that country people had to depend on back in the day to survive :tu: Both her and I could learn plenty more but like I said I would rather be in an emergency or disaster scenario with her than anyone :salute:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:45:05 AM by Poncho65 »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 03:40:44 AM
I'm even worse than Grant.

Ms. Sea Monster (Sea Monstress?) has better survival skills than me by a long shot. (and she's a better shot than me)

I just do the menial labour and carry things.

I'm way more popular on the internet than her though  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:44:44 AM
There are many people both men and women who feel they know what to do in an emergency but haven't a clue.  Having someone around who pretends to know is probably a detriment.  As you know I'm referring to those of you who actually have skills and are not passing them on for whatever reasons.     

This conversation came up when I was speaking to a friend on mine regarding road traveling.  She was unaware what basic items were contained within their vehicle or how to use them.  Her husband has always told her he is there so for her not to worry.   She also "doesn't worry" about home security either as he's in charge of that as well. 

I have several female friends ( correction - I only have female friends ) who can certainly take care of themselves and their families more than competently enough.  As a matter of fact I'd much rather "survive" with them rather than most men.

This wasn't a matter of men are more capable over women.  Its about, if you have skills then by all means pass that information onto your female counterpart.  This goes without saying to your children as well.  Why be the only one in your home who is able? 

Being "in charge" of everything is lame IMO.  I'd hope both men and women take interest in every aspect of their families safety and not leave the other in charge.  This is goes for outdoor situations, home, travel, natural disaster, etc.  Anything that you have prepared for or trained for you should pass on the information and training to your counterpart.   

My hiking buddies all trained in 1st aid.  I am more than confident if either I or them were injured we'd be alright.  Having to spend the night while uncomfortable would be doable should we become stranded out while hiking.   

Same goes for home security.  While I also have a dog and security measures in place I'm confident in my roomies knowledge and ability.  We have discussed what our game plan is for a variety of circumstances as well we've prepared.   

What about walking the street?  I may have told the story of a guy who got real aggressive with me.  Anyway, he was a drunk and IMO posed no threat to me tho my friend ( a female ) circled around to his rear as he belligerently yelled at me.  I kept my eyes on her as I diffused his drunken anger.  She positioned herself where she could easily aid me should he wanted to get physical.    As I diffused the situation and began to walk away she kept eyes on him as I did too.  Later we talked and she acknowledged she was positioning herself to pounce on him and make sure his buddies didnt blind side me.   

It was great to know she knew what to do.  Having grown up with all brothers, had that occurred while out with them the situation would have been jail for us and hospital for him.

All I'm saying is if your are in fact a trained person and your counterpart isn't then by all means get them on board.  Whle sounding completely sexist, it seems mens interest are in this area moreso than women.  YES I am aware many women love this sort of thing too.  Like I've also said I've only got female friends and they can all run circles around most men I've known.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:05:31 AM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=69444.0

Responded. 

This is the same realm of what I was referring to.  We MTOers all walk around more than prepared while our counterparts are not.  Time to get them on board. 
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 08:29:22 AM
 :pok:  yes, but if women can protect themselves, then they will have no use for us  :ahhh
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 08:45:41 AM

As I see it, men are worse than women- many men don't know what to do in an emergency, but are programmed to pretend they do, and often do more harm than good trying to emulate crap they see in the movies and on TV.  Things like first aid kits are useless, no matter how much $$ you spend on them if you have no idea how to use any of the stuff in it, and that is sadly the same for a lot of things- guns, cars, knives, pepper spray, water filters etc.

While it might be a traditional gender issue, I would rather have women around who don't know what to do but might be interested in listening and learning than men who decide they already know and would rather get into a smurf swinging contest than admit they don't know what they are doing.

Def

+1

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:52:55 AM
:pok:  yes, but if women can protect themselves, then they will have no use for us  :ahhh
You can't open a vaccuum sealed glas jar with metal twisting lid using a SAK.

We're safe

For now...

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 08:59:48 AM
We MTOers all walk around more than prepared while our counterparts are not.

Well, we certainly spend more money on stuff we like to leave in drawers at home  8)

I don't disagree with the overall sentiment, but it still sounds weird to say it :)

Maybe it's a cultural thing - Everyone I know seems to know what they need to know. Maybe I only associate with resourceful people  :P

Maybe "Have that talk with the children in your lives"  :multi:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 09:11:25 AM

Well, we certainly spend more money on stuff we like to leave in drawers at home  8)

I don't disagree with the overall sentiment, but it still sounds weird to say it :)

Maybe it's a cultural thing - Everyone I know seems to know what they need to know. Maybe I only associate with resourceful people 

Trust me, that's an exception.

For instance:
During work, I usualy am within a one hour drive from home.
I tend to bring my standerd load-out, but my MT alone is sufficient.

Sometimes though, it's a 2 - 2.5h drive.
In that case I double check to make sure I get my MT, SAK, flashlight and lighter with me.
I take extra water, an empty water bottle and extra food.
I fuel up the van to max capability.
Simply because you never know what traffic might do, especialy in case of an emergency.

Like last march during the Brussels Airport bombings.
I was in Brussels the week before and after. Traffic was terrible that day, which was an extra eye-opener.

Colleages of mine still strugle to remember bringing their sandwiches.
:facepalm:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:42:28 AM by Mechanickal »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 12:31:54 AM
My girlfriend is a better shot than I am.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 02:53:40 AM

Exception for Europe and USA.

By the posts in this thread, Canadians and Australians seem to have it licked  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 07:41:16 AM

Exception for Europe and USA.

By the posts in this thread, Canadians and Australians seem to have it licked  :D

Looks like I need a Canadian or Australian. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 07:44:01 AM
My girlfriend is a better shot than I am.

Oh I'm sure my female friends can also out shoot you as well as many members here  :whistle:.  From LEOs to Military as well as sport shooters they have decades at the range. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 07:55:02 AM
Teaching our kids is very important.  The ladies we have here seem to be the exception.  I'm sure there are many others out in this great big world as well. 

For those of you who have them in your life, great.  However I recently watched a video where a guy was talking about how security was HIS responsibility.  He said it was for him to take care of.  I don't see how that makes any sense.

Same goes for those of us who enjoy the outdoors.  Why be the only one who knows what to do in an emergency?  I'll take it just a small step forward, what about basic vehicle stuff?  Do the females in your life know how to jump a car battery? Change a tire?  Add oil, water. air? 

This is not meant to belittle women at all.  I have daughters and take great pride in what I've taught them as well as my son.  I made no distinction when I was raising them in that regard. 

My reason for starting this topic was to engage those in your life that may rely on you while they know little or nothing.  There are plenty of guys who carry their weapons even when in the house.  Do your wives or gf also carry? 

I'd love to know what your wife or gf carries as part of an EDC?
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 08:30:50 AM
Although she doesn't look like she could, she actualy replaced a car tire twice.
Made me quite proud.

I feel lucky for the fact that she appreciates SAK's and MT's and understands my love for them.

Her EDC?
A handbag filled with: phone, keys, wallet, tissues, hand sanitizer and a bunch of useless stuff, all scatered around at random. :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 01:20:47 PM
Teaching our kids is very important.  The ladies we have here seem to be the exception.  I'm sure there are many others out in this great big world as well. 

For those of you who have them in your life, great.  However I recently watched a video where a guy was talking about how security was HIS responsibility.  He said it was for him to take care of.  I don't see how that makes any sense.

Same goes for those of us who enjoy the outdoors.  Why be the only one who knows what to do in an emergency?  I'll take it just a small step forward, what about basic vehicle stuff?  Do the females in your life know how to jump a car battery? Change a tire?  Add oil, water. air? 

This is not meant to belittle women at all.  I have daughters and take great pride in what I've taught them as well as my son.  I made no distinction when I was raising them in that regard. 

My reason for starting this topic was to engage those in your life that may rely on you while they know little or nothing.  There are plenty of guys who carry their weapons even when in the house.  Do your wives or gf also carry? 

Security is the man's responsibility.

It is also the woman's responsibility.

Security is everyone's responsibility, and people need to take ownership of that.  There are no "safe spaces"in the world except those you make safe yourself, and that is something that is each and every person's responsibility. 

I am certain, in the video you are talking about, it was a manly man saying that security is his responsibility and meaning it is no one else's, and I agree that is wrong, however, I also believe that if everyone took it upon themselves to worry about their own protection (and that of their loved ones) then we'd have a lot less victims.  Men, women, children- it doesn't matter.  their safety is ultimately up to them, because the people who claim to be their protectors won't always be around.

Self reliance is the goal, but you also need to learn to appreciate the help of those around you willing to help.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 01:27:44 PM
I have a good set of survival/emergency skills. I look for information and study every detail to perfect the technics.

Don't knock down TV and the interwebs. You can learn a lot there. What to do in case of a house fire, for instance.

Here, see for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvMd-pjSMc

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 03:35:21 PM

Security is the man's responsibility.

It is also the woman's responsibility.

Security is everyone's responsibility, and people need to take ownership of that.  There are no "safe spaces"in the world except those you make safe yourself, and that is something that is each and every person's responsibility. 

I am certain, in the video you are talking about, it was a manly man saying that security is his responsibility and meaning it is no one else's, and I agree that is wrong, however, I also believe that if everyone took it upon themselves to worry about their own protection (and that of their loved ones) then we'd have a lot less victims.  Men, women, children- it doesn't matter.  their safety is ultimately up to them, because the people who claim to be their protectors won't always be around.

Self reliance is the goal, but you also need to learn to appreciate the help of those around you willing to help.

Def

Exactly.  Well said. 

One of my female friends is quite an outdoors woman.  Shes camped, hiked, and explored many national parks and California mountains.  Her home is well prepared for what natural disasters threaten SoCal.   I've learned a lot from her over the years.  She exactly the type of person who matched with a similar minded man would make a wonderful team. 

The woman I was speaking to that sparked this thread however.  She tends to lean towards the idea its all her husbands responsibility.  My mom on the other hand made it her responsibility so this was engrained in me at an early age.  When I was married I tried to engage my wife tho she also leaned towards it being MY job.  Its was strange to me then and is now.   

I have always felt your "team" is only as strong as your weakest member, not including small children.  They certainly can pull their weight and be given tasks to complete in any situation. 

Again this was never meant to demean woman or say men are more capable than women.  I was raised by women, have daughters, women friends, and in many cases feel quite the opposite. 

Its simply about if you are not engaging the women in your lives or refuse to then maybe rethink that, obviously its your call and your family.  If the ladies in your life refuse to be engaged please help them understand like Def said "Its everyones responsibility".

This is all my opinion however.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 03:59:45 PM

Maybe it's a cultural thing - Everyone I know seems to know what they need to know. Maybe I only associate with resourceful people  :P

I'll add it may also be learned.  Maybe apathy? 

Upon moving in with my current roommate I had a set of protocols for things like natural disasters, 1st aid, home security, basic vehicle care, basic home fixes, etc.  I made sure to teach my roomie what I know when she didn't already know.  Our home now is pretty well set.  She has a decent car emergency kit in case of breakdown or becoming stranded.  She has a capable EDC kit she carries with her every day. 

Funny enough she is now the go to at work when someone needs a tool.  She works with a lot of men too.

She has also taught me plenty.  Its amazing when you don't take the lead. 

I posted about changing out the copper hose from an old fridge to a ss braided one.  She hadn't done it nor seen it so I had her help.  The carpet wasn't pulled taught to the tacking strip so she tackled that as well.  Our garage has been acting up so I showed her how to adjust the ir sensors.   These are all things her ex husband took charge of.  She's always been more than wanting to learn, he just did them without teaching. 

How many work from a Honey Do List? 

Why not take that time to make it a "team" to do list?       

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD