Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

These are officially THE BEST multitools ever.

glorn · 71 · 8993

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
These are officially THE BEST multitools ever.
on: April 14, 2014, 05:49:45 AM
In my opinion anyway.

Yeah, yeah... There's a million "What's your favorite MT" threads. And yes, I am aware that there are lots of polls on the subject as well. But in general, all those polls tell you is how many people like a certain tool. That means nothing to me personally.

So here is what I want to do in this thread: I'm just gonna tell you what I personally think comprises the list of the best multitools out there. It doesn't matter if you agree. It is merely my opinion of the best.

Then you get your turn to do the same.

So, here I go..

PST
Small, slick, compact, light, well built, well equipped, perfect SAK partner, great lines, feels terrific in the hand, slip joint (yes, I like slip joint MTs), pocketable.

Flair
Most of you know how I feel about the Flair. It is beautifully weird, unusually equipped, and just such a perfect urban EDC item. It has all of the above listed PST attributes as well.

Spirit
It is just so well made, like jewelry and/or a watch works. There's no denying the joy one gets from the positive click feedback as the pliers lock into place. It is also quite well equipped and rather small for that capability. Though it is certainly not as clean nor compact in form as the LM models above.

MP600 (various models, but a particular nod to the Pro Scout)
I have a million problems with Gerber, and this tool is sort of clunky and heavy and pinchy.. But it is very capable, tough as nails, and a tool you could trust to get the job done. I will say that the modern blades suck. Bring back the simple designs of yesteryear, please.

Crunch
Pretty much everything I said about the PST and Flair apply here. In addition, you just can't get locking pliers and other tools in a better or at least more compact package. Brilliant.

Wave (old and new)
OH blade, pocket sized. What more needs said? In many ways, it is close to perfect. Yeah, I said close. You folks know the Wave belongs here on the list. 'nuff said.

Rebar
It is an incredibly well outfitted tool in a tiny package. It has it all (except scissors of course). It is the Supertool slammed into the PST3. A total winner. The Rebar and the
Wave are the two modern MTs that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to someone.

Now I did not put SAKs on this list. No reason you shouldn't, but I felt that it would make the list twenty pages long if I did. And besides that, SAK load out is so very personal. If I did though, I would go for the Ranger, Huntsman, Explorer, Compact, Farmer, and Outrider.

No, I did not list the Micra, or any of the Juice line, or the Skeletool. Nor do I feel that any SOGs make the cut. I also chose no large MTs. I like the Micra, yes, but just like the other tools I omitted, it simply does not add up to being the very best. The ones on the list are my personal favorites that I think epitomize the MT, and thus offer high function for the size in a good form with high quality.

Everything else falls short in enough ways to be questionable. Too big, too uncomfortable, too easily broken, poorly considered tools, low quality, bad design decisions, low tool count, and so on. Again, by way of example, I love the Supertool series. But unless you are working on a job site every day, the weight is just unnecessary. I also would suggest that the Rebar could probably do a high enough percentage of the same work for far less bulk as to render the ST300 useless. I also question whether such large MTs in situations where they are used often wouldn't be better replaced by a small dedicated tool set. And I say this as a guy who carried a ST200, 300, and a Surge at one point and for years as EDC.

So there ya go. Those are THE BEST MULTITOOLS EVER (in my opinion)

G

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: These are officially THE BEST multitools ever.
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 05:59:34 AM
Great list and very well could be exactly what I would of picked. The Flair is the only tool on the list I have not owned, but I trust your consensus on it as it seems others would tend to agree. A Flair will join the ranks of my collection one day.  :tu:

Now you got me thinking of what I need to trade or sell to get a Flair.  :ahhh
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:52:59 AM
While I've never had a Flair or Crunch, I'm pretty dead on with the rest of the list.

I'm going to go on the small side here.

Vic Classic SD: There is NO REASON not to have one of these, at a bare minimum. I've said it a million times. This is the most tool for weight out there, IMO. The blade and flathead will do a LOT more than you think, if pressed. The scissors are ridiculously capable for their size. Comes in a jillion colors.

Leatherman Micra: This and the Classic are the two tools I consider 'starters' for ANYONE. If you can handle a little extra weight, the Micra improves on the capabilities of the Classic. The drivers on the Micra, in particular are incredible for the tool's weight, and the scissors are some of the best in the MT world, of ANY weight tool.

Victorinox Tinker: I almost don't even want to say why. It's a frickin' TINKER. With it's twin, the Spartan, they make up the basis of the 91mm line. 2 GREAT blades, 2 great openers, 3 great drivers, great awl, T&T, for just over 2 ounces. As with the Classic, it comes in a jillion color options. But you know you just want a classic red. Come on, man. It just looks timeless. :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:51:06 PM
Here is my short and dirty list of some of my favorites.

Leatherman MUT
I love this big honking piece of metal. I especially love the super long driver bits, the V cutter, and the built in hammer. There are so many other uses for the dedicated AR 15 tools that it has found itself in my motorcycle kit.

Schrade Navitool
I am probably the only real liker on this forum of this tool. I like it so much that I now have 3 Navitools and 1 I-Quip. The electronic I-Quip is not my choice for bushwhacking, but the Navitool is perfect in my opinion. A medley of great tools tied to a nice compass, and a compartment where one can store either a lighter, or their own mini survival kit in a watertight ziplock bag. So yes, one of the Navitools is a user.

Leatherman Knifeless Fuse
My constant companion since it first came out. It was a sad day indeed when Leatherman saw fit to retire it. I immediately bought 2, with one being a user. I have found that the lack of a knife is not that big of a loss considering there is a real good pair of scissors here. I am a bit surprised that Leatherman hasn't come out with a replacement. These either didn't sell well, or there wasn't much of a market demand for them to come out with a replacement tool.

Victorinox SwissTool
Don't get me wrong, I love the Spirit, but the SwissTool is where its at. Supreme engineering and tight tolerance in build. This multi-tool is the Cadillac of multi-tools when it comes to fit and finish. I especially love how the handles splay outwards a little sideways to make them very ergonomic...but the tool looks like a brick when closed.

Gerber Evolution MP 650
Now here is a quirky design with one major downfall, the tool isn't compact at all. However, you do get the option of several removable plier heads and even a wire cutter head. So its compactness is a small price to pay for versatility. This quirky tools just highlights Gerber's dedication for trying new things out. Of course it didn't hurt that the tool's form factor is that of the much loved MP 600 series of tools.

SOG Switchplier
Another interesting and unique take on what a multi-tool is, the SOG Switchplier makes my top list for the sheer love of fiddling with it. People talk about how good Gerbers are for playing with, well I think most haven't seen a Switchplier in action. Press a button and the whole thing flips around like a hoped up transformer on steroids, and presto, you have a one handed tool, when it comes to using the pliers. SOG also put a lot of love and attention in building these, and I do believe these older tools are built to higher specs compared to the newer stuff.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:09:44 PM
Wow, that's a hard one.  (as the actress said to the bishop)

Have to be honest and limit my list to tools I have or had.

Wave, old one was great, new one is even better.

SwissTool, Mine has been a user, a hard user, and it still opens and closes like a bank vault and shines like a diamond.

Classic SD/Rambler, as Lynne said,  Best bang for gram out there.

a Vintage SAK, okay, this choice is slightly clouded by emotion, but there is something cool about carrying and using a 50+ year old "Spartan type" Officer's Knife. Or if you're brave and extravagant, a model 1908 Soldier. Even if it wasn't also a tool it would still be pure Man-Jewelry.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:16:22 PM by PTRSAK »

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:03:32 PM
Vic Swiss Tool for me, every time  :salute:

us Offline Random Dan

• I am a leaf on the wind
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:19:15 PM
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said about the Swisstool and Spirit. I think I'm starting to prefer my Surge though. It doesn't have Vic quality but IMHO it is more functional.
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods"

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 06:38:25 PM
I don't completely agree with your list but I do like it, lots of good thoughts there. I have not owned a Flair and might re-order some things. I also disagree with you on the MP600 blades, I do like their Warcliffe. And while I also like the Pro Scout (though that's not my favorite), my single complaint is they include 2 small slotted drivers leaving out the large slotted (more commonly used). Still, a great tool...

I'd like to say for the Spirit that I've found its scissors to be awful, not anything like the ones on a 91mm SAK for instance. This is very important to me and is a deal breaker.

I agree about the PST. There is nothing else like it for packing so much function into such compact space.

The Rebar is my favorite LM. I like how you referred to it as a PST3. I used to think scissors would be good in it but not anymore, when you can easily pair it with a mini tool such as the Micra, Style CS or even a Gerber tool that has scissors. And let us not forget the Vic Classic, Rambler and Mini Champ :)

The Wave is a superb tool. I like it a lot and have carried/used it for a long time (before the Rebar) but like the Charge TTi, I do find it a little heavy and clunky.
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:55:36 PM
I agree the PST is totally a capable tool even with all the newer tools being produced.  I'm carrying my Japanese PST for off day carry while many modern tools I have are sitting on the bench.  I recently got a Flair and yes what a wonderfully fun tool this is.  Tim must have had a few or was at a BBQ and had an "Aha" moment.

The Spirit is a lovely tool as well though it's bigger brother the Swisstool gets my pick.  My only criticism with the Spirit is also with the scissors.  I expected them to be more like the ones on the 91mm or honestly I expected them to be superior.  They work but they aren't better or superior than the 91mm which bummed me out a bit.  I really like the Swisstool for a work day tool as the bluntish pliers suits my needs very well.  This tool was not meant to sit on shelf even though it highly polished body suggest otherwise.   I do miss the OHO of LM so sadly it takes a back seat to my Surge.   

The Wave is an excellent tool in nearly all ways and mine has seen its share of workday and off day use.  When adding the bit kit and extender you have a little tool box of capabilities.  Honorable mention goes to my Juice S2.  This little plier based tool inspires confidence when I want to have something on me and don't want to carry my Wave.  I don't have a Crunch, Rebar (I have a gold safe queen), or M600 so not much to say.

My SAK picks have to be my Swisschamp, Deluxe Tinker, Wenger Tradesman, MiniChamp, and an honorable mention goes to my new Manager.  I love the little pliers on my SAKs and the pens on my SC and 58's.  I guess when its all said and done my choices are as follows;
Surge
Swisstool
Wave
PST
S2

Swisschamp
Deluxe Tinker
Tradesman
Minichamp 2
Manager

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:10:45 PM
The top 5 multitools on my list are:
1. Rebar
2. Spirit
3. Wave
4. Squirt PS4
5. Juice S2

Unfortunately the Style CS did not make it onto the list, but it is still highly recommended (over the Micra ;) ).
Leatherman

us Offline Dale

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:33:58 AM
 These are the type of posts that can go on for eternity. Being that all our needs,occupations, & recreations vary.. It will produce a never ending list of MT's. 

Dale's numero uno

Surge

Number 2

Rebar

Number 3 This is a difficult one for me.. It's the OHO's

The Gerbers

& last but not least....
Leatherman OHT

Number 4

SOG

Number 5

Victorinox

In the honorable mention position the SAK... for me, they are the best accessory out there for a plier based multi tool.

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 03:15:40 AM
Remember, folks.. It isn't necessarily all about what your favorite multitools are. It is your short list of which ones are (in your opinion) the best of the best ever.

So unless you really do think it should make the best ever short list, don't post it up.

Of course we will all have differing opinions on what it takes to be the best ever. So please tell us a bit about your choices so we can understand your reasoning. A mere list of your personal favorites isn't going to help anyone.

Ideally, I'd like to imagine a person coming here and asking "What multitool should I get? With is the best?" (and they often do). This thread would be the first stop for such things. A list from each user of what they deem the very best and why.

I personally don't love the new Wave. But it made my best list. It belongs there in my opinion. On the other hand, I do love the Supertool series, but I don't believe they belong on the best ever list.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:21:20 AM by glorn »
G

us Offline Random Dan

• I am a leaf on the wind
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 04:34:01 AM
I think the Surge definitely deserves to be on any list of best MTS.

Very strong design. Has zero flex in the handles or pivot (unlike my Swisstool Spirit, Wave, and Skeletool).
OHO for the most used tools.
With the bit kit you can turn just about any screw you're likely to encounter.
The blade exchanger allows you to use any t-shank jigsaw blade of your choosing. I carry the included file and wood saw as well as a metal saw.
Best scissors of any MT I've owned.
All of the high wear parts can either be easily sharpened (knife blades, scissors) or replaced (bits, wire cutters, file, saws) if damaged.
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods"

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 05:15:45 AM
1.) I love Swiss Army knives, particularly in the 84-93mm range. Apart from childhood fondness, I have some pretty incontrovertible evidence of their usefulness-to-size ratio. Badass. Also, the wild array of model choices makes it pretty easy to match your SAK to your individual needs.

2.) Leatherman Wave or Rebar. I know they are very different models, but they both handle plenty of serious work without too much bulk. I mostly have unverifyable anecdotal evidence, particularly for the Wave, but hot damn!

3.) And now I cheat. The next one is the human brain. This actually belongs in the number one spot, but I think we can all appreciate a big reveal. Without a clever mind behind it, no multitool can possibly have enough functions. Unless we all want to carry Wenger Giants with us everywhere,  we need to be able to adapt the right tool for the right job, the wrong tool for the wrong job, and the wrong right tool for the wrong right job.

That's what I think, anyway.

ca Offline Dem

Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:08 AM
My short list for best ever, rather than best for me:

1) Wave

I'm not a big fan of it, but it has a very solid number of features for a good price in a good size. I still hate the bit driver, but it does expand the use of the tool for some folks. A wave and the bit set / extender takes a good chunk out of a toolbox for someone living in an apartment.

2) Spirit

Just that much better than a Wave, I think. But you pay proportionately more for it, too. So I think the Wave still wins out overall in a best-ever list.

3) Cybertool 34

Utterly excellent for working with electronics. Not much more to say about it.

Honourable mention to the Rebar, but I haven't owned it long enough to be sold on it just yet. Still concerned about the cutters interfering with the plier function. Happy with it so far, seems like it's as close as we'll get to being able to buy a Pulse or PST II again.

Dem

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:40 AM
Hmmm... Hard question, but lets see :tu:

1. For me, the Leatherman Wave

Might not be the most -perfect- tool, but IMO the -real- MULTI tool... One of the few tools that has all tools I "need", certainly in combination with the bit set. Yes, there's no 3D phillips, but you do get the option of having most screwdrivers you'll need, carried pretty easily. OHO blades make it even more versatile. You might say Surge, for the blade exchanger, but that's too large for me (and I think most people) to carry regularly, defying the whole point.

So, for the first -purpose- of a multitool, versatility, this wins for me :)

2. Vic Spirit

For pure quality, looks, and the cool 'extra' tools you don't find anywhere else. I mean, which other tool has a chisel? Also, in pure tool density, this is awesome, packing as many tools as the Wave in such a thin package.

3. LM Pulse

Oozing the old-LM quality, nice precise pliers, locking tools, and scissors, but not the saw, or other things I don't use, make this for me the ultimate -urban- tool. If I were to go into the woods or something like that, I'd leave this home though. Also, the great diamond file.

4. LM Micra

For its size, the best "real tool", IMO. Sure, Vic's are awesome, but for me, they miss the driver capabilities of the Micra. Still, one of my favourite light duty pairings is a LM Micra with a Vic Spartan. So, up to the forth place for being, IMO, the most capable keychain tool.

So, that's about it for now :)

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 05:25:24 PM
I think a mere list of ones personal favorites is going to be far more helpful than a notion of what is the Best of the Best given that there are no criteria to define such a category in the first place. If I know someone uses a particular tool and they list their reasons why, then I think it is more credible than trying to pigeon hole a broad category...but that is just my personal opinion.

I have listed the tools that I am most fondest...the ones that I tend to grab more than all the others, and this is coming from someone who has a lot to choose from. Everyone's requirements are going to be different. This is partly why there are so many multi-tools out on the market.

There are so many variables at play, I can say with certainty there is no such thing as the best of the best. There is however, a lot of personal favorites that are popular out there based on one, some, or all of these criteria.

1. Ergonomics
2. Functionality
3. Manufacturer
4. Materials of construction
5. Market segment
6. collect-ability
7. Sentimentality
9. Portability
10. Design/Style
11. Historical aspect

And I am certain I don't have all the criteria pigeon holed at that.

So colour me slightly confused glorn. You want people to declare the best of the best without declaring their personal favorites. How can one exist exclusive of the other?  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:38 PM
That's quite easy, The Best of The Best are SAKs ...  :woohoo:

The rest are only shades depending on the current need :D
and, btw, they meet all (11) Chako's criteria  ;)

:climber:     :gimme:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 11:43:51 PM
Now, I don't mean that my tools are the best. I have tried a few in fact. But since I didn't want to try every tool there is, I relied heavily on reviews and people's opinions. Not just any people; MTO people. So I bought a few that were considered best and among them the best are:
1. Victorinox Spirit. Top quality, ergonomics, tool count and usability, versatility and looks. You can even wear it on your neck as a pendant. With the ratchet it is complete and able for anything. Cliiiiiiiiing!
2. Victorinox Swisschamp. Need to say anything? Archetype. Cliiiiiiiiiiiing!
3. Leatherman Surge. Because it is heavy duty and has real scissors, something peculiarly rare for Multitools.
4. Leatherman Charge TTi. It doesn't touch the quality of the Spirit (as the Surge doesn't vs the Swisstool) but has a very convenient layout in a light package. A Wave with some bonuses.
5. Victorinox Minichamp. It's so small I won't consider anything smaller and very capable. A gentleman's multitool.
The Swisstool and most 91mm Victorinox SAKs (don't forget the Cybertools too) might be considered best also. I wouldn't list Wengers because tool to tool Victorinox is better (IMHO), conventional LMs (Supertool, Rebar) because the tools open on the inside and don't have the Swiss precision (the Wavelike LMs make the list because of the clever design), Gerbers because they are UGLY and most can't line their handles to use the drivers properly and SOGs because their tools look like Vic clones and open from the inside and Juices because they are Swiss wannabes quality and functionality wise. Reports about the quality of SOGs and Gerbers are mostly unfavorable also and many of their tools are awfully short. Most 111-130 mm knives with many tools are less convenient than plier based Multitools and lack locking tools (excepting the main blade for some).
As I said I didn't get most of these tools because they weren't considered the best according to a community consensus, so the opinions aren't mine but borrowed.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 01:23:33 AM
I'll stick with the basics . In plier based tools , the Spirit and Wave , in no particular order . Followed by the Swisstool , and Surge . I would include SAK's , but only as a category , that way there's room for personal preferance .

Chris

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 05:16:19 AM
So colour me slightly confused glorn. You want people to declare the best of the best without declaring their personal favorites. How can one exist exclusive of the other?  :think:

You are right on track, honestly. What do you think.. In your personal opinion.. The best of the best are? And why?

That's it, and it isn't easy. You will obviously list mostly favorites.. We carry what we think is best. But there are some "bests" that we recognize but don't care for, as well as favorites that we recognize as not qualifying as "best".

Like I said, I prefer the old Wave and don't love the new Wave. But the new Wave is still on my list. I love the Supertool, but it doesn't make my list as it is uneccessary weight over the Rebar for (in my opinion) no real functional gain.

The goal is to think about it a bit. Not to merely list off your five favorite carries or the ones you like to fiddle with in front of the TV with no reasoning.

Your post was fine. You supported your choices with reasons. And it is your opinion. That's all I am looking for.

Does that clarify things?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:18:45 AM by glorn »
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 05:25:01 AM
1.) I love Swiss Army knives, particularly in the 84-93mm range. Apart from childhood fondness, I have some pretty incontrovertible evidence of their usefulness-to-size ratio. Badass. Also, the wild array of model choices makes it pretty easy to match your SAK to your individual needs.

2.) Leatherman Wave or Rebar. I know they are very different models, but they both handle plenty of serious work without too much bulk. I mostly have unverifyable anecdotal evidence, particularly for the Wave, but hot damn!

3.) And now I cheat. The next one is the human brain. This actually belongs in the number one spot, but I think we can all appreciate a big reveal. Without a clever mind behind it, no multitool can possibly have enough functions. Unless we all want to carry Wenger Giants with us everywhere,  we need to be able to adapt the right tool for the right job, the wrong tool for the wrong job, and the wrong right tool for the wrong right job.

To the man who has put the Rebar and the Huntsman through their paces, I say great post.  :tu:
G

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 06:54:42 AM

To the man who has put the Rebar and the Huntsman through their paces, I say great post.  :tu:

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm on Easter break starting Thursday. I'll be finishing the Rebar challenge.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 02:59:26 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm on Easter break starting Thursday. I'll be finishing the Rebar challenge.

:woohoo:
Leatherman

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 02:54:56 PM
I'll divide my choices up size-wise, and thus their ease of carry.

Keychain: it's pretty much a toss-up IMO between the Leatherman Micra, and the Leatherman Squirt. Both are made very well, and have excellent tool selections. The Minichamp is even smaller and lighter, but offers no means to actually grip anything.....I love all of mine though.

Pocket: Any of a vast selection of "pocketable" Victorinox's or Wengers. For me, "pocketable" means a max of about 4 layers. I just constructed a Yeoman for myself (3 layers), with Brass scales, and carry it a lot.

Belt/pouch carry: The Swisstool has the fit, finish, and tools, and seems like it'll be very durable. I have a sneaking feeling I'd love a SpiritX though. They are just so gorgeous, and have been to Jenny Craig's  :)

Honorable mention: Leatherman Crunch. So small and capable, locking pliers and tools, even drives any 1/4 inch bit, great fiddle-factor, very well made. Actual volume compared to a 4-layer SAK (Explorer) seems about the same, yet the weight is higher, and overall utility also higher. Doesn't ride in the pocket quite as comfortably though.

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 02:06:26 AM
 :drink:Some of my favorites are (not in order)
Swiss tool
Surge
wave
rebar
charge

I guess this list could be never ending! :ahhh

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 04:23:31 AM
Some of my favs (no order to mine either)

PST
Flair
Spirit
Swiss Champ
Rebar
Wave...........
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 03:25:19 PM
One of the best for me.....

Yep, you guessed it. Its the Leatherman Surge.
It has all the tools everybody want on there multis and half of them are OHO. It has replaceable cutters in the plierhead and the blade exchanger can now use T-shank saw blades with out modification. The Surge's plierhead can handle large amounts of torque and grip strength. And I mean all you can throw at it. For some, it might be a little heavy. But the amount of work and the tasks it can handle is well worth it.

Second up,

Sog Powerlock. Yeah it is hated by many here, but I love it. The only thing that sucks on the Powerlock is the can opener. The rest of the tools work good but at times it is a little clunky. The pliers is where this tool shines. Very very smooth pliers. It, like the Surge, can handle all kinds of torque. There is no kind of wire that is safe from a powerlock except maybe the cable they use to make bridges and tow tanks with.

I wish SOG would update the Powerlock just a little. The tools can stay inside the handles if they want. I would be down with that.  Just do away with the can opener and cap lifter make one like Leatherman does. This would make room for another tool of some sort. Say like a Robbie driver. A tad better blade on it that's not chisel ground. Pliers with replaceable cutters would be sweet!!

Next is the Victorinox Cybertool 41.
Just about two frog hairs wider than a Swisschamp. The CT41 ditches the fish scaler and the phillips/mag layer and adds the bit driver layer and extra storage for bits. Becareful that you don't loose any bits, its hard as hell to get replacements. While Vic touts the CT41 supreme for computer repair and the such, don't let it fool you. Its great for other tasks. I used this Sak for years on the farm and at work and it loves to be abused. Really, it likes it. The only lacking it has is the plier department. They are great for some tasks. But when it comes to cutting wire or turning those big bolts, there just not big enough. Another thing I wish Vic would do is add more bits to use and make them easy to get. Not tons just a few bits, say like a robbie bit for one.

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 04:21:45 PM
One of the best for me.....
(Image removed from quote.)
Yep, you guessed it. Its the Leatherman Surge.
It has all the tools everybody want on there multis and half of them are OHO. It has replaceable cutters in the plierhead and the blade exchanger can now use T-shank saw blades with out modification. The Surge's plierhead can handle large amounts of torque and grip strength. And I mean all you can throw at it. For some, it might be a little heavy. But the amount of work and the tasks it can handle is well worth it.

Second up,
Sog Powerlock. Yeah it is hated by many here, but I love it. The only thing that sucks on the Powerlock is the can opener. The rest of the tools work good but at times it is a little clunky. The pliers is where this tool shines. Very very smooth pliers. It, like the Surge, can handle all kinds of torque. There is no kind of wire that is safe from a powerlock except maybe the cable they use to make bridges and tow tanks with.
I wish SOG would update the Powerlock just a little. The tools can stay inside the handles if they want. I would be down with that.  Just do away with the can opener and cap lifter make one like Leatherman does. This would make room for another tool of some sort. Say like a Robbie driver. A tad better blade on it that's not chisel ground. Pliers with replaceable cutters would be sweet!!

Next is the Victorinox Cybertool 41.
Just about two frog hairs wider than a Swisschamp. The CT41 ditches the fish scaler and the phillips/mag layer and adds the bit driver layer and extra storage for bits. Becareful that you don't loose any bits, its hard as hell to get replacements. While Vic touts the CT41 supreme for computer repair and the such, don't let it fool you. Its great for other tasks. I used this Sak for years on the farm and at work and it loves to be abused. Really, it likes it. The only lacking it has is the plier department. They are great for some tasks. But when it comes to cutting wire or turning those big bolts, there just not big enough. Another thing I wish Vic would do is add more bits to use and make them easy to get. Not tons just a few bits, say like a robbie bit for one.
I like your comments on the CT41. The bits are a big concern of mine also. I don't see why this isn't possible with wide support. Perhaps if enough of us contacted Vic requesting more bits...
SAW

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 05:31:01 PM
To me, the best ever are:

1. Charge/Wave:  The only thing that could make this platform better, would be replaceable cutters ala "Re-Charge".  Totally my GoTo tool.  Why this over the SwissTool?  OHO blades, better pliers and bit drivers, allowing EDC of Allen drivers, or Torx drivers as needed.  I would agree the SwissTool and Spirit are better finished, but just lack the HD functionality of the Charge/Wave

2. Victorinox Farmer:  Just so much function is such a small package.  A big plus is the beefier blade compared to the cellidor SAK, and the heavy duty awl.

3. Victorinox CT34/41:  While I prefer the 41, for those who want a thinner platform and don't miss the saw, the 34 is also excellent.  This is close in a race with the Farmer.  I would like to get the thicker blade on the CT41, not that the thinner 90mm main blade has ever been a problem.

4. Delemont S557?  When I can get the S557 with a Vic can opener, this tool may make a run at replacing my Farmer as EDC.  Love the universal wrench, and the small size is great.

NB:  I haven't tried out the Rebar, but the lack of OHO will probably be a deal breaker for me.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%