Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New outdoor gear.

Gareth · 43 · 5924

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
New outdoor gear.
on: April 14, 2014, 01:26:31 PM
I thought I'd start a thread where everyone can show off their nice new bits of outdoor gear.  :)  I'll kick things off with my lovely new sleeping mat, an Exped Downmat Lite 5 M.

http://www.exped.com/en/product-category/mats/downmat-lite-5-m

The idea is to make a very well insulated sleeping mat that still packs down small enough, and is light enough, to take out hiking.  Proof is in the pudding as they say, but all the reviews and feedback I've read on these seems excellent.  So, out with the Thermarest and in with the Downmat. 8)

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: New outdoor gear.
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:44:15 PM
I just bought a foam sleeping pad.  It is kind of an air mattress with foam in it- you open the valve and the air rushes into the foam causing it to expand. Then you close the valve with the air in it and it's good to go. Then when you get up in the morning, own the valve, roll it up tight to push the air out, close the valve and away you go.

I'll posts some thoughts on it after I have a chance to use it.

I also picked up the Gerber and SOG folding shovels for a shootout.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 03:28:02 PM
I thought I'd start a thread where everyone can show off their nice new bits of outdoor gear.  :)  I'll kick things off with my lovely new sleeping mat, an Exped Downmat Lite 5 M.

The idea is to make a very well insulated sleeping mat that still packs down small enough, and is light enough, to take out hiking.  Proof is in the pudding as they say, but all the reviews and feedback I've read on these seems excellent.  So, out with the Thermarest and in with the Downmat. 8)

I have got a similar mat. A exped 7 L. Its worth its weight in gold. Its very comfortable to sleep on and insulates you well from the ground. No more waking up cold with backaches from sleeping on the hard cold ground. :tu:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:41:39 PM

I have got a similar mat. A exped 7 L. Its worth its weight in gold. Its very comfortable to sleep on and insulates you well from the ground. No more waking up cold with backaches from sleeping on the hard cold ground. :tu:

Excellent. :tu:  It's always good to hear positive views from people I know.  Now all I need to do is arrange an overnight trip somewhere cold. :D  With typical terrible timing, the very day I get this through the door is the first day of the year that's warm enough to sit outside in a t-shirt. :doh:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 05:07:18 PM

Excellent. :tu:  It's always good to hear positive views from people I know.  Now all I need to do is arrange an overnight trip somewhere cold. :D  With typical terrible timing, the very day I get this through the door is the first day of the year that's warm enough to sit outside in a t-shirt. :doh:

Heres a pic of mine from late september last year on the first day of a 3 day hunting trip. I went scouting alone the first day and packed light, no tent or sleeping bag. Just tarp, exped mat, a fjellduken ( i dont know what its called in english. Its a thin waterproof tarp that can be buttoned into a poncho or sleeping bag or shelter.), shotgun, water, and some food.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:04:36 AM
Haven't bought anything in a while. Last purchase was a Berghaus 35+8 pack.
berghaus-freeflow-35+8-big.jpg
* berghaus-freeflow-35+8-big.jpg (Filesize: 122.09 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:52:24 PM
That is a nice pack.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 03:32:45 PM
A few months back my scarpa delta gtx replaced my 15year old brasher hillmasters ,  :tu:
13986918999251.jpg
* 13986918999251.jpg (Filesize: 158.94 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 01:03:54 PM
Haven't bought anything in a while. Last purchase was a Berghaus 35+8 pack.

I like the look of that Milhouse.  Coincidentally I go myself a similar sized rucksack no so long ago myself, a Vango Boulder 45.  Nicely fills a hole as a large day bag or a small overnight bag I think. :)

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:36:10 PM
Treated myself to a new pair of boots. Scarpa R-Evo Plus.
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 36.47 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 02:40:22 PM
OK, I'm going to try and breathe life back into this thread.  >:D

I suspect I've had a few things since this was last posted in, but my most recent purchase was a new waterproof jacket.  I got to thinking that my old Berghaus had really done it's fair share of work over the last 7-8 years and there were a few things I'd never been totally happy with, the hood being the most notable.

Enter the Sprayway Crag.  Nice material that is quiet to move around in, good peaked hood, simple cut for a minimum of seams, long-ish fit in the back to cover errrr....back pockets.  Fit allows it to be worn by itself without feeling baggy, but large enough that I can wear heavy insulating layers underneath such as my Snugpak Elite.

Not had it out in a real downpour yet, but that can only be a matter of time. ;)  Sprayway are also a UK company with a very good reputation so I'm not anticipating any problems, even if this is one of their more budget offerings.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 02:44:27 PM
That looks like a nice functional jacket :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 03:03:27 PM
That looks like a nice functional jacket :tu:

Cheers mate.

I'm happy to say that I agree with Gathr that the Exped mats are indeed worth their weight in gold, I wouldn't want to camp without it any more.:tu:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 03:25:52 PM
nothing new since the new year - had to buy a new hiking jacket, got a Lowe Alpine Teton havent had a chance to really use it on the hills yet, but so far it's been fine. And got a new GPS unit - Garmin GPS 20x.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

hr Offline styx

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 05:50:41 PM
i've actually gotten a hunka xl bivvy and rig 3.5 tarp from alpkit
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 05:54:39 PM
nothing new since the new year - had to buy a new hiking jacket, got a Lowe Alpine Teton havent had a chance to really use it on the hills yet, but so far it's been fine. And got a new GPS unit - Garmin GPS 20x.
That Teton looks to be a very good jacket mate. :cheers:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 06:05:02 PM
That Teton looks to be a very good jacket mate. :cheers:

yup, unfortunately haven't been out on the hills lately, life has gotten in the way ! but so far it's easily held up to what i've subjected it to. Been a fan of Lowe Alpine kit, this is my 3rd, got about 10 years each out of the other two i had, hoping the revamped brand is just as good.
 :cheers:

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 01:31:26 AM
Another  :tu: for Exped mats. Got our 3rd mat last year along with their straps to mate them together and make a queen size pad so our kid can co-sleep. I've used paracord to mate two before but these are much easier especially with three pads to deal with.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 03:08:20 PM
I also love the fact that they pack down nice and small.  Takes up much less room in my rucksack than my old thermarest.  I'll not go so far as to say the thermarest is a bad bit of kit, but I do think the Exped definitely has the upper hand.  The big, BIG advantage though is that it's thick enough that I don't get cold spots when lying on my side, with other mats I'd inevitably get a cold hip and shoulder when camping on snow/frozen ground.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 03:19:00 PM

I also love the fact that they pack down nice and small.  Takes up much less room in my rucksack than my old thermarest.  I'll not go so far as to say the thermarest is a bad bit of kit, but I do think the Exped definitely has the upper hand.  The big, BIG advantage though is that it's thick enough that I don't get cold spots when lying on my side, with other mats I'd inevitably get a cold hip and shoulder when camping on snow/frozen ground.

This.
And its also comfortable to lay on sideways.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 10:02:53 PM
One I was given at Christmas but didn't really get around to using until a couple of days ago was a Zippo hand warmer.

First impressions are really good.  Certainly gets warm and last for hours.  Even on the half fill I put in it, it lasted more than 6 hours. Makes the claim of up to 12 hours very credible IMO. :tu:

The downside is that if you want to use it again then you need to carry the supplied measuring pot and can of lighter fluid.  Not ideal if you want to keep what you're carrying to a minimum.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 06:58:45 AM
TTTM Kingsize hammock
http://www.ticketothemoon.com/configurator/76#/?color1=11&color2=6&size=29
and their Beach Blanket as the closest thing to a light tarp I could get:
http://www.ticketothemoon.com/content/beach-blanket

I made up straps and other necessities, and the lot fits in a lightweight dry sack.
Tested it, but haven't spent a night in it.

It took just short of 18 months for a considerable order of these in various sizes to be filled, I was a bit surprised when the shop let me know they'd arrived.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 07:59:58 PM
Good day at Goodwill. New Gortex pants, Camelback blader carrier, small cast iron pan and a complete head set for an ANPVS 14 nigh vision scope which I took to the surplus store two doors down and traded for the stuff in the second pic. Less then $20 for everything.
IMG_20160407_084023.jpg
* IMG_20160407_084023.jpg (Filesize: 148.41 KB)
IMG_20160407_084118.jpg
* IMG_20160407_084118.jpg (Filesize: 181.76 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
Nice haul!

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 08:11:28 PM
Nice stuff mate.  I especially like the little cast iron pan. :tu:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 09:04:11 PM
Nice finds!
That pan looks great!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 01:02:28 PM
One I was given at Christmas but didn't really get around to using until a couple of days ago was a Zippo hand warmer.

(Image removed from quote.)

First impressions are really good.  Certainly gets warm and last for hours.  Even on the half fill I put in it, it lasted more than 6 hours. Makes the claim of up to 12 hours very credible IMO. :tu:

The downside is that if you want to use it again then you need to carry the supplied measuring pot and can of lighter fluid.  Not ideal if you want to keep what you're carrying to a minimum.

I'm actually quite pleased with this.  I was very apprehensive originally about filling something with lighter fluid, igniting it and sticking it in my clothes, but after using it I really started to like it.  Yes, you get the occasional whiff of lighter fluid, but that is a heck of a lot better than being really cold when you are out for extended periods of time.

I hung mine on a lanyard around my neck inside my coat and it kept my core warm which helped keep my extremities warm.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 02:31:29 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm actually quite pleased with this.  I was very apprehensive originally about filling something with lighter fluid, igniting it and sticking it in my clothes, but after using it I really started to like it.  Yes, you get the occasional whiff of lighter fluid, but that is a heck of a lot better than being really cold when you are out for extended periods of time.

I hung mine on a lanyard around my neck inside my coat and it kept my core warm which helped keep my extremities warm.

Def

That's pretty much what I was doing with it last time I used it.  Put it in my coat inside pocket and let it warn my torso.  The weather seems to have turned here now, so I can't see myself using it again until next winter, though you never know.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 09, 2018, 12:51:40 PM
Thread from the dead . . .

I'm looking for a new waterproof jacket the lowe alpine I mentioned above has not lived up to my expectations unfortunately.

Any suggestions? Budget is say  €150 give or take

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: September 09, 2018, 01:27:03 PM
Thread from the dead . . .

I'm looking for a new waterproof jacket the lowe alpine I mentioned above has not lived up to my expectations unfortunately.

Any suggestions? Budget is say  €150 give or take

Sorry to hear that mate.  Where have you found it lacking?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%