Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yankee Push Drill

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Yankee Push Drill
on: June 08, 2008, 06:54:34 AM
Does anyone else use one of these remarkable drills. I love mine. I have 2 in fact, one is an older North Bros. Version and a newer one that is a Stanley version.  Both version are almost exactly the same except for the bit chuck.  The big plus for me is when I just want to drill one or two holes I don't have to drag out a cord or make sure that a battery is charged.  A very big plus in my book :D

* 5489_1_sbl.JPG (Filesize: 13.65 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Yankee Push Drill
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:57:32 AM
I don't know why they quit making them, except that there were a lot more ppl unlike me that don't care about getting out a cord or keeping a battery charged ???

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:18:50 AM
They look a handy little tool mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:34:38 PM
Do I remember correctly...weren't the Stanley ones made in England? ???
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline kent ct

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:51:24 PM
Does anyone else use one of these remarkable drills. I love mine. I have 2 in fact, one is an older North Bros. Version and a newer one that is a Stanley version.  Both version are almost exactly the same except for the bit chuck.  The big plus for me is when I just want to drill one or two holes I don't have to drag out a cord or make sure that a battery is charged.  A very big plus in my book :D

Here is one by Goodell Pratt Greenfield Mass. Patent date 1915

Richard

* 5 06 DIMG_2582.jpg.jpg (Filesize: 50.43 KB)

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:44:43 PM
You can still get a well built shiny new one from GarrettWade:)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 10:58:41 PM
I have an old Yankee handyman made by Stanley.  Very handy tool.  :)
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:27:04 AM
I have two.

Give me a moment to run out in the swamp to find them.

Okay, one says Sheffield England, & one says Germany.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:29:45 AM by Nomad »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:08:03 AM
You can still get a well built shiny new one from GarrettWade:)

Good memory I forgot about that.  But I did buy mine the Stanley one not to long ago at an Ace Hardware (nos) for only $20, couldn't believe it was so cheap.  Theres another down there that I might just pick up as well :)

Maybe so but the North Bros version the one Stanley bought patent from was made in Philadelphia, PA or at least so I was informed ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:29:06 PM

Mine is.
I'm back!!

Offline appletree_man

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:03:06 PM
Interesting tool. Is it the same principal as the Yankee screwdriver ?  I must admit I could never get the hang of that tool.
T

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 04:03:39 AM
Interesting tool. Is it the same principal as the Yankee screwdriver ?  I must admit I could never get the hang of that tool.

Same principle but the drill doesn't have a reverse on it.  All you have to do is put the drill bit in and push away :D
Much easier than getting a corded drill out or even a battery operated model ;)

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:49 AM
I'd love to have one for simple jobs, consider my cordless is already dead when I need it, and the corded hammer drill is way overkill.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 06:03:42 PM
I use one of these for my simple jobs;

I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 04:39:28 AM
I use one of these for my simple jobs;

(Image removed from quote.)

I have always wanted to get one of those :drool:  but usually can't find one in my price range at the right time :( .  Hand tools that aren't corded or battery powered tools are my thing, I always like to do things more the old fashioned way, sometimes it is harder, but alot of the times the older simpler tools can get the job done without as much fuss as the new fangled tools.  Of course sometimes you can beat a good skill saw or air nailer  ;) Sometimes I just feel more satisfied with the older approach for doing things  :D

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 05:47:37 AM
I want one of those too, but don't think I've ever seen them in stores. Seen them online but damn expensive.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 12:18:58 PM
I want one of those too, but don't think I've ever seen them in stores. Seen them online but damn expensive.

I have never really looked into the price of them.  :-\  I would have thought they would have been relatively cheap, but obviously not.
I'm back!!

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 02:41:27 PM
Reminds me of my wife's eggbeater. lol

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 11:41:19 PM
My original Stanley hand drill was bought for me by an aunt, when I was eleven or twelve.  It lasted me until a couple of years ago.  I wasn't too distressed when I broke it, I figured I'd pop into town and get another. Only, I couldn't find one, anywhere.  It was power drills or nothing in all the local shops. Is there really no call for hand drills any more?

Eventually I managed to get one at a car boot sale for a couple of pounds.  For the same money I recently grabbed this little fella, not quite a push drill but a similar idea, its stamped Hobbies. Made in England on its knob.

Neil

* stanley-drill.jpg (Filesize: 26.65 KB)

* hobbies-drill.jpg (Filesize: 16.05 KB)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 11:58:08 PM
My original Stanley hand drill was bought for me by an aunt, when I was eleven or twelve.  It lasted me until a couple of years ago.  I wasn't too distressed when I broke it, I figured I'd pop into town and get another. Only, I couldn't find one, anywhere.  It was power drills or nothing in all the local shops. Is there really no call for hand drills any more?

Eventually I managed to get one at a car boot sale for a couple of pounds.  For the same money I recently grabbed this little fella, not quite a push drill but a similar idea, its stamped Hobbies. Made in England on its knob.

Neil

What did you manage to break on it? 
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 12:41:09 AM
The chuck.  I can't remember the details but I seem to recall I was abusing it at the time with something far too big for those little jaws.  It took a lot of abuse for many, many years.  I'm surprised it lasted so long.

Neil

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 03:54:44 AM
In the not to far future end of July or August we have something called the "endless yard sale" it stretches for a few states on Highway 127 I may see if I can find one of those other types of hand drills you have pictured there :gimme: .  I always find good deals usually somewhere up and down that long yard sale :D  In fact that's where I got my first push drill.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 08:29:32 PM
Great thread.  My dad actually owns one of these drills and I completely forgot about it until I read this thread.  Ahhh, the memories...
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 11:53:33 PM
Great thread.  My dad actually owns one of these drills and I completely forgot about it until I read this thread.  Ahhh, the memories...

Glad you like the thread they are a great hand tool that I really enjoy using :tu: Makes life a lot simpler and don't have to hunt a cord up or find a plug for a drill or hope that it's battery isn't dead ::) :D :D :D

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 12:02:51 AM

Neil

I think its called an Archimedes drill. By the way do you know if there still made in England?
(

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2008, 12:07:57 AM
No idea I'm afraid. 

I recently wanted a smaller hand drill for when I was working on knives and again hand to go hunting round car boot sales.  Since I posted the comment above I've managed to get a nice old push screwdriver, unfortunately the only bits it came with are flat, I wonder if you can get an adapter to allow normal hex bits to fit it  :think:

Neil

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 12:12:49 AM
No idea I'm afraid. 

I recently wanted a smaller hand drill for when I was working on knives and again hand to go hunting round car boot sales.  Since I posted the comment above I've managed to get a nice old push screwdriver, unfortunately the only bits it came with are flat, I wonder if you can get an adapter to allow normal hex bits to fit it  :think:

Neil

You can get themm i'm sure i've read it somewhere. I've recently found out that there are many different types of fitting for this type of screwdriver, my dad has an old Yankee one that he is trying to find some bits for and is having a heck of a time finding the right ones. He found one shop that had what appeared to sell them but when he got them home the shank was too thin and so they didn't lock in :( The search continues
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 12:17:58 AM
There is an adapter that is made in Germany (Garret Wade sells it I think)for those that use regular bits.
(

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 12:18:27 AM
I have one of the screwdrivers.  Have never seen bits for sale though.
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 05:21:16 AM
I was trying to find a link for an adapter that went on the end of the Yankee Drill and it just came to me where they were sold

McFeeley's this may or may not help but I may invest in one :)

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/yh-2435/

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD