Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All I wanted was a fold away shovel for the Jeep?

Chako · 33 · 4810

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
on: April 15, 2014, 10:24:02 PM
I wanted a shovel that was portable but large enough to use in-case the 4x4 on the Jeep wasn't enough and I got bogged down. I looked around town and couldn't find anything I was willing to stow away, so I looked on ebay. Well after much looking, I found a folding shovel that I thought looked great and the price was ok so I bought it.

Well it arrived at my house and I was shocked at the small box. The seller had neglected to list size specs so I had assumed I was buying a medium sized shovel. What I got instead was a small belt carry hand shovel much like the one I bought locally a little while back.  :facepalm:

I took out the older model and found they were almost exactly the same item. I had hoped for something that wasn't the size of my hand...but I got two of those now. This of course begged a comparison mini review for the folks on MT.O. Yeah, got to make lemonade out of lemons I say.

Well the seller had listed a sheath with it, and I saw one on his photo. I just assumed (yep, there is that mistake popping up again) it was only large enough to fit the blade to keep everything in the trunk nice and clean. Well I got that wrong as well. Note there appears to be a theme here. The sheath is made of the same materials as the older shovel, only it is more shaped for the shovel. It also features a zipper which is nice.

Directly comparing the newer folding mini shovel to the one I already had, I have noticed that the sheath, although nicely shaped and with a zipper, was made of slightly inferior materials. Yes, you can smack me with a salted mackerel, I didn't think that was possible, but the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, um...er...in the case.

In the following photo, the newer baby shovel is on the right, the older baby shovel on the left. I say older, but that is by mere weeks at worst. I bet you can tell right off that the right shovel is made a lot cheaper than the left shovel. Photos don't tend to lie, unless of course your asking that cheating golf loving co-worker to take a photo of his lie. You know, because you just don't trust him when you turn your back for a moment. Yes I know, I play with interesting folks at times.

I was immediately taken by how much lighter the new fold away shovel is. The older one is solid like a tank. Yes, lets run with this analogy somewhat. The older one is a Sherman (Going to stick with American tanks here). The new one is like a M3 Stuart. Either of these you wouldn't want to go into battle against anything arduous like lets say, a Tiger tank, or old man winter. Maybe if I had plenty of them in numbers that might count would I go into battle. Unfortunately, I don't, and that wouldn't be all that practical anyhow.

In the next photo, you can tell that there are rivets in the older shovel. Come to think of it, the whole thing is made of thicker steel, and its shape is designed to give the whole thing structural rigidity. Look at those teeth. They do look the business.

The new one is much lighter and of one piece. I just know this will fail sooner or later. I have seen countless dollar store garden trowels die sonoriously...ah who am I kidding. The vast majority of that junk went with a caterwauling screech . Cheep junk never dies a good proper death. I expect this new shovel to die miserably as well, that is of course if I were to use it to any purpose. You can tell by this point, that I have come to the realization that I wasted my money once again. Oh eBay, how can you do this to me!!! (as I fall to my knees, raise both arms upwards, and make loud nom nom sounds). Oh, this shovel has a bottle opener. Maybe I should have made glug glug sounds instead?  :think:

Moving back to the older better shovel, you can tell that they at least attempted to beef up the components.

The newer cheaper shovel doesn't even attempt to give you a good feeling. Is that a bolt? Nay says I, but a simple rivet.

Oh ho, thou doubted me? 'Tis but a simple rivet I say...

Alas, at least there is one redeeming grace, this shovel has a compass! All is well with the world...thought the lost explorer as he fell to his death off a cliff. I guess he shouldn't have staked his life on the piece of smurf compass that isn't accurate at all. Why is it not accurate? Did the manufacture place it there for decoration, or is it an evil plot to mislay folks who think nothing better than to throw in their shovel with this shovel?

Of course, once your lost in the bush (your own fault for trusting something like this in the first place), you will go into survival mode. Now you can either go all Les Stroud and do sensible things, or you can go Bear Grylls and just go apesmurf. Wait, you followed a cheap penny compass to your doom. You don't sound like the sensible type. The only option is to go Bear Grylls apesmurf. This means you must kill something to survive. Maybe if you took apart the handle (an easy task considering the whole thing only has 4 threads), you can bludgeon something with it. Ah ah foolish mortal. not with that cheap shovel. It is so light you can throw the handle at a squirrel and it will laugh at you and throw heavier more hurtful projectiles like those acorns back. Yes, nature can be cruel. Now if only you had the older heavier shovel. Why that Squirrel wouldn't be laughing now (as you clench your fist and wave it in the general direction while rubbing those acorn bruises).

Which one do you think I like better?

Did you see what I did there? Yes, I switched them around. The better shovel is now on the right side but I bet I didn't fool you at all did I?  So now I find myself with two baby shovels and still nothing for the Jeep. If I had to use one, it would definitely be the older shovel. Funny enough, I thought the older shovel to be a piece of junk when I first looked at it. I guess my definition of junk just keeps moving lower.

So please do yourself a favour. If you see this exact shovel on eBay, stay well away. There are better made items out there, including the majority of those dollar store garden trowels. :facepalm:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:33:38 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: All I wanted was a fold away shovel for the Jeep?
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:40:26 PM
Better be careful, throw the junk(er) one away or, knowing you, the "collection" will continue to grow until you have about 20 of them.  :rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:47:33 PM
Yeah, no more buying folding shovels off the net. I almost bought that Chinese military one...but knowing what I now know, it probably fits in my back pocket.  :D

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:50 PM
haha...   "Buys Shovel off the net, spork arrived in the mail."  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:56:21 PM by PTRSAK »

us Offline Random Dan

• I am a leaf on the wind
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 10:55:10 PM
There are plenty of places on the outside of a Jeep to attach a real shovel using a couple Quick-fists. Roof rack (if you have one), front bumper, spare tire, hood, etc.
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 01:10:37 AM
There are many attachment points for one I suppose.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 01:48:28 AM
I wanted a shovel that was portable but large enough to use in-case the 4x4 on the Jeep wasn't enough and I got bogged down...

My advice is to get a Gerber E-Tool.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:51:42 AM
I just bought the Gerber E Tool and the SOG folding shovel. I might get a chance to test them this weekend.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 02:32:05 AM
I just bought the Gerber E Tool and the SOG folding shovel. I might get a chance to test them this weekend.

Def

looking forward to your thoughts Def.
Defend the Hive!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:17 AM
:rofl:
 Cheers for the fun read mate (and the warning). :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 08:41:18 AM
:rofl:
Fun review!
Have you considered one of those original ( not one of the cheap taiwaneese ones that also are too small) ww2 style shovels with the wooden handle? I bet you can get one of those cheap from a surplus store.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:42:59 AM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 12:30:37 PM
that is a great idea, and it would do the trick. There is only one surplus store here and I am unsure why its even called that as it is just a camping shop that carries nothing remotely militaria. I should give them a visit, it has been years.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 01:00:42 PM
That's what I have.  Picked it up at a yard sale where an old guy was selling a bunch of old military stuff.  He said it was authentic, and it feels very well made.  Even if it is a knockoff, it was only $5.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 01:49:49 PM
I look forward as you all shovel your way to new reviews!  :salute:

And to Chako:
That sucks, I hope you find a decent shovel soon.

But maybe you could do a realistic test, like what digs better? Those two purse shovels or the standard Victorinox fishscaler... :whistle:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 09:04:40 PM
I collect shovels for a while, both surplus & commercial, I think I had them all, the west German surplus shovel is absolutely the best, a bit heavier than others, but the lock up is easy and solid, strong construction. I added plain edge one one side and saw on the other. It has no trouble chopping through 2x4s.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:10:03 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 09:07:02 PM
Cold steel shovel is good too, but a bit short to dig, unless you are prone, lack of pick.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 04:43:27 PM
I collect shovels for a while, both surplus & commercial, I think I had them all, the west German surplus shovel is absolutely the best, a bit heavier than others, but the lock up is easy and solid, strong construction. I added plain edge one one side and saw on the other. It has no trouble chopping through 2x4s.
(Image removed from quote.)

+1 for the German shovel - I've had two of them for years and they're rock solid - They have a pick and a shovel and a square pivot so you can alternate the shovel/pick/both/neither combination. Marvelous!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 02:58:08 AM
Don't discount the weaker one yet. It could be your "sanitation" shovel. The compass you can use to make sure you are down wind of everyone else and the bottle opener to open your beverage while you sit and think about multitools.

:facepalm: I do hate throwing away something useful.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:34 AM
Chako you must have been in a funny mood writing this, you kept making me laugh :rofl: good reaction to a bad situation I guess

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:47 AM
Funny I bought a stowaway a decade ago on ebay. Same thing. Tiny folding trowel
It now lives in my mums glovebox

(Image removed from quote.)
I got one of these driving around looking for treasure in council clean up. Judging by the weight I wouldn't be surprised if its bonefide cold war era german (don't know east or west)

Also Aldi supermarket chain had US Gi style shovels for $3. Given the average shop sells them at $29 I had to buy 5 despite already owning a Cold steel and the above freebie. The foldy-ness is kind of annoying when you have to use it.

I definitely say go directly to a CS. Simple easy. If you are feeling adventurous and have access to a lathe I'd turn down a even longer handle from a regular shovel
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 02:50:40 PM
Why bother going to a lathe to turn down a longer handle when a handsaw might do the trick.  :think:

Lots of good suggestions. I have  um...er...gifted the cheaper shovel, and have moved the older one to a small storage bin in the Jeep for now, until I can procure something a little more substantial.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:45 AM
Yeah, no more buying folding shovels off the net. I almost bought that Chinese military one...but knowing what I now know, it probably fits in my back pocket.  :D

I actually bought that when I first joined the forum. Believe me its full size. Its a beast make no mistake. I've since read there are  more counterfeits than actual genuine ones being sold to unsuspecting buyers.

Mine is still in the box it arrived in. I'll dig it out at the weekend.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 12:40:43 PM
Can't wait to see your review of it.  :salute:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 02:28:10 PM
Can't wait to see your review of it.  :salute:

Review!!! ....gulp :ahhh
I'll let you make your judgement from pictures...yeah  :whistle:

P.S I'm guessing you've seen it in action on YouTube, that's what prompted me to order it. It was if I remember quite bloody expensive.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 03:02:10 PM
Why bother going to a lathe to turn down a longer handle when a handsaw might do the trick.  :think:

Comfort. I guess if you get a D handle one you could shorten it and reattach the handle to make it a 4wd shovel. Which reminds me of the Condor
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-26-Inch-Shovel-Ergonomic-Handle/dp/B001EICOD8

I have something similar with a fiberglass handle. Cost me 5 pounds plus post from the UK on ebay
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 03:41:19 PM
 :D :D :D :D :D :D
M48 kommando tactical shovel review

(at least she used it before reviewing it youtube)

or if you absolutely need a pick

The Ultimate Compact Survival Shovel?

and a cool vid from DX
DX: HX Multi-Function Sappers Shovel II
(spear a fish)
- Terry Pratchett

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 05:16:51 PM
That Sapper Shovel II looks good. I went to give it a digital look over and noticed that DX has them sold out.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 05:56:14 PM
Plenty Functions  :D
- Terry Pratchett

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 06:31:34 PM
Plenty Functions  :D

Don't start that again!

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 09:57:32 PM
This topic has got me thinking.

I should try find a,folding shovel for my bag.

it might be more useful than the hatchet I normally carry
Defend the Hive!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80