Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

58mm Executive

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
58mm Executive
on: April 16, 2014, 09:03:48 PM
I know I've been slacking off a bit on the wiki front lately but I hope to find more time for it in the next couple of months.

I've been asked by Peter today about the missing picture of the 58mm Executive, as he has a golden one.

I know that there was a bit of an overlap with the naming of the Companion, 58mm Executive and I think I remember seeing a 75mm named Companion some time ago in a catalog too. The fact that Vic is getting ready to release the Wenger Esquire with Vic scales under the name Executive 81 isn't helping one bit. :facepalm:

Anyways ... ;)

In the wiki page we have on the 58mm Executive says it was only available in red. And that the Companion originally came with or without keyring. So how would one go about differentiating those two? 

The tools on this one from Peter look like older style as described in the wiki page. But it is gold/yellow. And the Executive is supposed to have come only in red and Companion in red, blue, green, black and silver. :think: No yellow anywhere.

And this black one from a couple years ago also old tools, also Victoria, no keyring, but newer spring (might have been replaced though), so Companion or Executive?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,29257.msg501954.html#msg501954

This catalog page doen't help either, looks to me like a keyringless model but they call it the Companion. :shrug:

http://www.sakwiki.com/show_image.php?id=897&scalesize=o

Anyone have more info on this? I seem to remember we had a discussion on these before but I can't find the thread. :shrug:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Re: 58mm Executive
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:15 PM
I think the gold one is a 623 g. Isn't it from before they used names?
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:37 PM
Possibly. :salute: We really need a Vic timeline on when which SAK was introduced.

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:10:06 AM
I have both a red and black Executive,  both with key rings.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk-2.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:45:10 PM
I have both a red and black Executive,  both with key rings.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk-2.

Are you sure you're thinking of the 58mm ones with aluminium scales and exposed rivets and not the 75mm ones with plastic scales like this one?

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:19:11 PM
I think I'm confused.  I have a black and red one, just like your picture there.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:27:36 PM
I think I'm confused.  I have a black and red one, just like your picture there.

There were/are 3 swiss army knives called the Executive. The first one was a small 2 inch one shown in the original post with smooth aluminium scales and exposed rivets. That got discontinued some 50 years ago and the name got changed to the current Companion. Then there was a second still in production Executive from my previous post, 3 inches, plastic scales, big and small knife, long nail file, scissors and orange peeler. I'm guessing that's the one you have. (The stainless steel scaled model with the same tools is called the Director).

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:18 PM
Thanks for the history lesson and explanation.  Yes, I have the ones like your last picture, in black and red.  Been carrying my black one for many years, attached to either my Fenix E01 or E05, in my front-right pocket, loose.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%