Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Android Phones

Kev D · 434 · 21490

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Android Phones
Reply #420 on: September 12, 2023, 12:57:43 AM
I'm finding little bits of glass everywhere and I think it is from my rapidly deteriorating camera lens, and that's just not good- especially with a puppy in the house that likes to pick up and try to eat any small thing he finds.

So, I said smurf it and ordered a Google Pixel 7 Pro today, as well as a cheap case (with camera protector) and some glass screen protectors. 

Yes, yes, I know, cheap case = bad, but as I'm a bit disappointed in Otterbox right now I figure I'll use the case for now until I find something I actually like.  I can't carry a phone without a case, as that gives it a lifespan of maybe three days.

Also, now that I have ordered the Pixel 7 Pro, the Pixel 8 will come out in the next 48 hours and the price on the 7 will drop drastically.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #421 on: September 14, 2023, 01:36:10 AM

I've had good luck with Tech21 cases

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #422 on: September 16, 2023, 12:34:12 AM
I will look into those.

The Pixel is here and I am using it now.  It is very different from the Samsung interface, and I am having trouble trying to get used to where everything is.  After having five Samsung phones (and two tablets) it's a lot to get used to

The loss of Samsung apps like Gallery is kind of weird.

Still, I like it, but I think I'm going to have to figure out how to increase the font size in Chrome as I can barely see this text as I type it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #423 on: September 16, 2023, 01:24:57 PM
It's weird that it's the same Operating System, yet appears almost totally different from Samsung.

I thought it would be a more seamless transition, given that:

1- my first Android was a Motorola
2- I have a Fire tablet, running Fire OS, which is just Android with a bunch of Fire graphics slapped over top of the Android ones
3- I had a Motorola tablet for a while.
4- I mistakenly assumed a Google OS on a Google device would have all the bells and whistles.

But, there is no native Gallery app other than Google Photos.

The camera app more closely mimics the Apple camera than the Samsung one.

The pull down menu at the top is completely different and doesn't seem to offer nearly as many options.

There are no home, back or menu keys at the bottom.  For the longest time, I had no idea how to find the apps I've installed.

I'm at that point where I'm not sure I like it or if it's just different and I'll get used to it!

Doesn't really matter in the end- this is my phone for at least the next two years, so I will have no choice but to figure it out!

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #424 on: September 16, 2023, 06:43:09 PM
My parents went the Pixel route several years ago (they are both back to Samsung now) and I got very much the same impression from them as well :salute: They both ended up loving the phone but were more familiar with the Samsung, the apps and its eco system, so they ultimately went back with their next phones :salute:

They both also started out with Motorola Droids but Samsung wasn't that much different at the time either :D

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #425 on: September 16, 2023, 11:11:27 PM
It's weird that it's the same Operating System, yet appears almost totally different from Samsung.

I thought it would be a more seamless transition, given that:

1- my first Android was a Motorola
2- I have a Fire tablet, running Fire OS, which is just Android with a bunch of Fire graphics slapped over top of the Android ones
3- I had a Motorola tablet for a while.
4- I mistakenly assumed a Google OS on a Google device would have all the bells and whistles.

But, there is no native Gallery app other than Google Photos.

The camera app more closely mimics the Apple camera than the Samsung one.

The pull down menu at the top is completely different and doesn't seem to offer nearly as many options.

There are no home, back or menu keys at the bottom.  For the longest time, I had no idea how to find the apps I've installed.

I'm at that point where I'm not sure I like it or if it's just different and I'll get used to it!

Doesn't really matter in the end- this is my phone for at least the next two years, so I will have no choice but to figure it out!

Def

I think this is mostly just you needing to get to grips with the changes, but it's Android, if you want some of the Samsung stuff back then just install it. You can also install a launcher to make it more to your liking too, that's the beauty of the OS!
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #426 on: September 17, 2023, 01:16:26 AM
Absolutely true.  I am going to try to learn it as is, and then modify it where necessary.

I very much like the phone itself.  There are some photo/video options that I am looking forward to playing with too. 

Oh, and I also figured out the pull down menu thing.  It's not the same as Samsung, but there seems to be all the options I need, and it is a bit more configurable than the Samsung one was.

Def

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #427 on: January 19, 2024, 08:28:55 AM
Its upgrade time again, though I wasn't going to bother, until I saw the deals everywhere.  Upgrade to the Samsung S24 Ultra before the end of the month and you get the 512gig instead of the 256gig and they throw in the Galaxy watch 6 as well.  I currently have the note 20 ultra and galaxy watch 4, so decided it was time to upgrade.  Now I have to wait a week for it to arrive  :mail:

and of course a new phone means new case etc.  Sadly my favourite cases, Quadlock, only have the S24 ones on pre-order that ship mid feb, so have to wait for that to.  Amazon special until then I think.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #428 on: January 19, 2024, 09:58:42 AM
Its upgrade time again, though I wasn't going to bother, until I saw the deals everywhere.  Upgrade to the Samsung S24 Ultra before the end of the month and you get the 512gig instead of the 256gig and they throw in the Galaxy watch 6 as well.  I currently have the note 20 ultra and galaxy watch 4, so decided it was time to upgrade.  Now I have to wait a week for it to arrive  :mail:

and of course a new phone means new case etc.  Sadly my favourite cases, Quadlock, only have the S24 ones on pre-order that ship mid feb, so have to wait for that to.  Amazon special until then I think.
Luckily you choose ultra since it has Snapdragon instead Exynos (downgrade cpu chip) but i dont know why samsung didnt implement it to all models

Only Tools Matters

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #429 on: January 19, 2024, 11:52:22 AM

I've been considering the Quad Lock case too.  I have been trying to decide whether to do that or go back to an OtterBox Defender, which failed miserably on my Note 20 Ultra.

It's been what, four months now since I bought the Pixel and I'm still using my $15 Amazon cheapo case.   :facepalm:

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #430 on: January 19, 2024, 01:03:40 PM
Quadlock are good, I'm on my second one for my note 20 now, but only because of how loose the quadlock bit was getting with the ring stand attachment.  My phone gets taken on and off stands and the ring stand put in and taken off probably more than is normal, plus I fidget with it when sat in meetings, etc, so when it started to feel like it was getting less secure I replaced the case when it was around 18 months old.

My new phone is also magsafe compatible and quadlock have mag mounts to, so I've also ordered all the new mag heads for my mounts so the quadlock twist bit will get used way less and last longer I would think.   I've got mounts all over at home, plus in my car and my desk at work, its about the most secure mounts and robust cases I've found in all the years I've had phones.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #431 on: January 20, 2024, 08:10:53 PM

That is awesome, Kev :woohoo: I have the S23 Ultra and I have really loved it :tu: I will try to keep it for a few years but I am excited to see what the S24 Ultra will be able to do :like: :popcorn:

The Galaxy AI has me intrigued as well and luckily it should be out on the S23 Ultra in the coming months :tu: the picture editing aspect is what I really want to see :ahhh

england Offline Kev D

Reply #432 on: January 22, 2024, 11:52:31 AM
That is awesome, Kev :woohoo: I have the S23 Ultra and I have really loved it :tu: I will try to keep it for a few years but I am excited to see what the S24 Ultra will be able to do :like: :popcorn:

The Galaxy AI has me intrigued as well and luckily it should be out on the S23 Ultra in the coming months :tu: the picture editing aspect is what I really want to see :ahhh

Thanks, I've had this one 3 1/2 years now so looking forward to getting the new one.  It should arrive the end of this week.  The AI search looks interesting to as well as the photo editing.
My temporary case and screen protector have already arrived as well as the rest of my quadlock mounts upgrade stuff, so just need the phone now.

* 20240120_110223a.jpg (Filesize: 234.2 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #433 on: January 22, 2024, 06:02:09 PM
 :o lots of nice new tech goodies :drool:

Hoping the phone arrives pretty quickly for you :tu: :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00