Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

kkokkolis' EDC & SDC

kkokkolis · 272 · 38933

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: kkokkolis' EDC & SDC
Reply #60 on: October 12, 2014, 12:39:22 PM
The slings are padded but not as much as the other backpack (which is bigger and thus capable of more weight). But they are prettier, with the Vic logo and two straps to hang your sunglasses (or clipped knife but that's scarry for people) and two D rings for a carabiner or something like that.
The backpack has reinforcements that help it stay upright, regardless if it's empty or loaded.
The back is padded and with provision for airflow. The handle is leather padded.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:46:54 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #61 on: October 12, 2014, 12:40:26 PM
The laptop pocket. Two mesh pocets for the socket adapter and HDD perhaps. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:47:54 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #62 on: October 12, 2014, 12:50:43 PM

This is the Wenger Gigabyte 15 MacBook Pro I tried and considered buying instead.
I liked it a lot. It has a Dual compartment, Padded laptop compartment with anti-scratch lining (very very nice at touch),  Interior pocket for iPad (very nice too),  a Case base stabiliser platform (different from Vic's),  Padded back panel too, Shock absorbing shoulder straps of nice design, Lockable zipper pulls,  Cable haul handle (impressive), Full organisation panel (bis), Quick access pocket like that on my Trevi (addictive),  Zippered water bottle pocket too, Integrated trolley pass-through where you can hide the straps.
In many ways it is better than the one I have but I can always find an excuse to get this also, I am an MTO member, remember?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:58:24 PM by kkokkolis »

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #63 on: October 17, 2014, 12:47:13 AM
wooww what a collection mate congrats, i would really to reach something like that, and the best thing, use it in edc, that´s the good part, use it, enjoy it.

and i would love a vic backpack, they re so awesome, but the price, dear god! if you consider selling one at a good price who knows:)

congrats beautiful and quality equipment. it´s never too much :)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 08:48:32 AM
Actually, they are not a collection since they are used a lot. My wife has, I don't know, 100, 200, 300 bags? Probably 366, one for each day and one of them is used every 4 years. So it seems rational to have 2-3 bags of Victorinox/Wenger quality. I choose them black to go with anything, from formal suit to outdoors outfit.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:37 AM
I discovered which model is my new backpack. It is called WT Digital Backpack and goes for 170 euros here. A nice buy at 70 euros, totally unused.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #66 on: October 25, 2014, 09:10:34 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I carried the wrench this way for several months and it proved useful a couple of times but it was a hassle to put it and remove it from bag to bag because the wrench's tip was catching somewhere.
Today I received my Pocketwrench II which is a beauty and slips beautifully inside the Skinth, so the earlier adjustable wrench will live in the car or somewhere.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #67 on: November 06, 2014, 04:38:07 PM
I tried to compile a catalogue of the everyday items I carry, after I felt my bag a little heavy today. The outcome is following (a few of the items, Crunch, Belomo, Wenger Air Traveler, are pending).
There are 4 different conditions and each one is  characterized by a Victorinox bag I described above.
It is sick  :facepalm: but one can't play with  his toys only during the weekend, when his house sees him. The numbers come from the MTs and SAKs file in my signature (master catalogue).

9.   CURENT EVERY DAY CARRY
9.1.   Keyring
9.1.1.   Leatherman Carabiner
9.1.2.   Victorinox Minichamp in Pouch
9.1.3.   Spyderco Ladybug
9.1.4.   Button Red LED Light
9.2.   Pockets
9.2.1.   Cool Fire I Electronic Cigarette
9.2.2.   Opinel #8 Couteau de Jardin
9.2.3.   MTO Poker Chip 2014
9.2.4.   Occasionally Victorinox Mountaineer, Harvester etc
9.2.5.   Black Obsidian or Red Coral Comboloi
9.2.6.   Leather Wallet
9.2.7.   Keyring with Minichamp, Ladybug and Button LED Light
9.2.8.   Apple iPhone 4S
9.3.   Container Bags (one at a time)
9.3.1.   Victorinox Trevi Briefcase during work
9.3.1.1.   Documents case
9.3.1.2.   Work stuff (pens, sheals, USBs etc)
9.3.1.3.   Skinth CatchAll with full contents
9.3.1.4.   Black bag in Bag with full contents
9.3.1.5.   Umbrella
9.3.1.6.   Western Digital Essentials 1.5TB 2.5" HDD
9.3.1.7.   LG VPad G500 8.3"
9.3.1.8.   Pentax Papilio 6.5x21
9.3.1.9.   Handkerchiefs and sanitizers
9.3.2.   Victorinox Monosling Bag during leisure time
9.3.2.1.   Skinth CatchAll with full contents
9.3.2.2.   Black bag in Bag with full contents
9.3.2.3.   LG VPad G500 8.3"
9.3.2.4.   Pentax Papilio 6.5x21
9.3.2.5.   Handkerchiefs and sanitizers
9.3.3.   Victorinox Teardrop Monosling Bag when formal/smart casual
9.3.3.1.   LG VPad G500 8.3"
9.3.3.2.   Black bag in Bag with full contents
9.3.3.3.   A SAK or Multitool (Swisschamp, Spirit or Charge TTi)
9.3.3.4.   Handkerchiefs and sanitizers
9.3.4.   Victorinox WT Digital Backpack when traveling
9.3.4.1.   Skinth CatchAll with full contents (when not in airport- airplane)
9.3.4.2.   Wenger Air Traveler (when in airport- airplane)
9.3.4.3.   Black bag in Bag with full contents
9.3.4.4.   Umbrella
9.3.4.5.   LG VPad G500 8.3"
9.3.4.6.   Pentax Papilio 6.5x21
9.3.4.7.   Victorinox Travel Electronics Container with
9.3.4.7.1.   Archos 5 250GB
9.3.4.7.2.   String Pouch with Archos Travel Accessories
9.3.4.8.   Travel stuff (Ticket envelope, neck pillow, S4 coat, Book etc)
9.3.4.9.   Handkerchiefs and sanitizers
9.4.   Bags in bag
9.4.1.   Skinth CatchAll
9.4.1.1.   Spyderco Endura VG10 FFG
9.4.1.2.   Victorinox Swisschamp XLT Ruby (Alt Swisschamp or Juice Pro)
9.4.1.3.   Victorinox Watchmaker Pallas
9.4.1.4.   Victorinox Swisstool Spirit S (Alt Swisstool)
9.4.1.5.   Leatherman Charge TTi (Alt Surge)
9.4.1.6.   Leatherman Crunch (Alt Opinel #8 Couteau de Jardin)
9.4.1.7.   Leatherman Bitsets x2
9.4.1.8.   Hex 6mm Bitset (11 bits)
9.4.1.9.   Hex 6mm custom adapter for Victorinox Philips driver
9.4.1.10.   Leatherman Bit Extender
9.4.1.11.   Powertool Bit Holder
9.4.1.12.   Victorinox Ratchet
9.4.1.13.   PocketWrench II
9.4.1.14.   MiniMagLite LED
9.4.1.15.   Spare AAA Battery
9.4.1.16.   Victorinox Compass/Thermometer/Ruler/Magnifying Lens
9.4.1.17.   Victorinox Metal Clip
9.4.1.18.   Victorinox Lanyard
9.4.1.19.   Red Cord Lanyard
9.4.1.20.   Bic Lighter
9.4.1.21.   Victorinox Dual Sharpener
9.4.1.22.   Diamond File Sharpener
9.4.1.23.   Victorinox Stone Sharpener
9.4.1.24.   Big Paperclips
9.4.1.25.   Small Paperclips
9.4.1.26.   Metal Bookmarks
9.4.1.27.   Victorinox Mechanical Pencil
9.4.1.28.   IKEA Pencil
9.4.1.29.   IKEA measuring tape
9.4.1.30.   Ballpoint Pen
9.4.1.31.   Victorinox 4mm Bitset
9.4.1.32.   Spare pair of Victorinox TnT
9.4.1.33.   Surgical Blades (4)
9.4.1.34.   Victorinox Nylon Cord
9.4.1.35.   Sewing Kit (2 hotel kits combined)
9.4.1.36.   Sacking and Leather Needles (4)
9.4.1.37.   Button LED Light
9.4.1.38.   Alcohol Pads
9.4.1.39.   Bandages
9.4.1.40.   Rubber Bands
9.4.1.41.   Tweezers
9.4.1.42.   Blue Tak
9.4.1.43.   Powerstrips
9.4.1.44.   Miscellaneous pieces
9.4.2.   Black Bag in Bag with Victorinox pin
9.4.2.1.   Belomo Triplet Loupe 10x21
9.4.2.2.   Sunglasses in hard case, microfiber clothe
9.4.2.3.   Pouch with Electronic Cigarette batteries, atomizers, adaptors
9.4.2.4.   Tin box with E-Liguids (3x10ml)
9.4.2.5.   E-Liquid 2x20ml
9.4.2.6.   String pouch with LG VPad cables & accessories
9.4.2.7.   Tin box with PEZ
9.4.2.8.   Tin box with MnMs
9.4.2.9.   Chewing Masticha gum
9.4.2.10.   Tin box with iPhone/ iPod cables & accessories
9.4.2.11.   Hand Sanitizers
9.4.2.12.   Apple iPOD 3
9.4.2.13.   Pens & Pencils

Pay attention of  the items that fit in a Skinth CatchAll (with some free space for more thin items)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:41:54 PM by kkokkolis »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: November 06, 2014, 04:52:12 PM
That's a lot of stuff!  :D :multi:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #69 on: November 10, 2014, 02:12:40 PM
Since acquiring my Skinth over 6 months ago I wanted a Crunch and a one piece tool to feel completed. As I said I used an adjustable wrench that did the job but wouldn't fit inside as I felt it should. Finally I've completed the load out and everything is perfect.
On the outside nothing seems different, although I made some changes and now the Skinth is slimmer. Don't throw tomatoes please but the full setup weights 1.85kgr!

Inside, the Crunch fits perfectly (on the left). I now have the Opinel in my pocket or in the quick access pocket of my bag as before (it is more convenient since that's what I use in the office and everywhere) and on the right of the XLT I put the BiC,  Victorinox Dual Sharpener and Diamond Sharpener (fits in a groove of the Pentapocket besides the Minimaglite). The Pocketwrench II is on the right, in the narrow pocket behind the Charge/Surge. There's also a pair of tweezers on the back right. It is useful also for picking up small stuff from the bottom of the Skinth. To compensate for the added tools, I exchanged the leather wallet with a nylon one (in Blue European Union colors) that fits exactly the same stuff. Complete.

It is insane but this small Skinth is loaded with 4 big tools inside and a large Spyderco Endura on the outside, while even the Swisstool and Surge can take the place of the 4" tools.

The "new" factor didn't wore off and I always feel excited when I take out and open my Skinth to do a job. I'm going to help my daughter moving to another house and I will exchange the Charge for the Surge probably for the occasion but all the rest are perfectly chosen.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:22:49 PM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #70 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39:12 AM
Some items might seem irrelevant but everything comes from personal experience and it showed today, when my Sectro Expander wristband loop broke. It is plastic and it broke in the corner, so there isn't a way to fix it on the go. I just removed the black rubber band from the front flap tongue, over the aluminum ring I added and used that in it's place. It was very annoying when I typed on my PC and now it works fine. Wire, paperclips, bookmarks, rubberbands, they all permit such quick fixes and that's why they have a place in my Skinth.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: November 11, 2014, 01:38:57 PM
I am happy the sleek blue "Pallas" Vic gets used!

Impressive selection of well thought out gear.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #72 on: November 11, 2014, 02:34:59 PM
If by well thought out you mean 'throw everything I own in a bucket, some of it is bound to come in handy one day' then I agree. :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #73 on: November 11, 2014, 03:25:49 PM
It's not everything I own, the Skinth is not a bucket, I play with my toys everyday and need them every now and then because I establish treatment units around the country and have many hobbies. Do you know how many different types of screws one encounters in just one telescope (on the spider, tube, focuser, mount and tripod)? Also, I am the "man with the SAK" in the house and my job and everyone comes to me for fixing things, not that I don't enjoy it. I wouldn't say it is well thought but it was much thought and I enjoyed every bit of thought because it was a kind of delightful game for me. And I post it here because it is established that similarly infected people frequent this forum and they enjoy to see Skinth loadouts, up to their limits. Am I wrong?
Quote from:
  Don't throw tomatoes please... 

Eventually I didn't avoid the tomatoes!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:31:08 PM by kkokkolis »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #74 on: November 11, 2014, 03:50:13 PM
Am I wrong?

Not at all, I'm just teasing.

I'm a little jealous that you've come up with an EDC that works for you, actually.  I currently own 20-something SAKs and knives and 10 or 12 multis of some description and I can't settle on one particular group of things to carry day in day out.  I don't want to carry too much as I don't want a giant sheath or a bag full of metal and I want what I carry to be useful with little or no redundancy.  I change my mind about what I want to carry all the time and spend ages deciding which SAK goes best with a particular multi or keychain tool.  I've got spreadsheets trying to evaluate particular combinations to try to point to an 'ideal' EDC.

One of the good things that came out of the recent minimalist SAK challenge recently was showing me how much I needed scissors - and that a Super Tinker or Explorer could probably handle 95% of my daily tool needs.  But I like the feel of Alox, so would prefer a Pioneer.  Then I need something with scissors, but which ones - a mod, Classic, Micra, Style PS?  The tyranny of choice...

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #75 on: November 11, 2014, 03:55:53 PM
History tells again and again that strong muscles give solutions to ambivalent men.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: November 11, 2014, 05:10:32 PM
The fun part for many is the rationalizing and scrutinizing of what to carry.  I enjoy these threads and especially enjoy the reasoning behind why this or that is carried. 

I too have many tools which makes off day carry decisions fun.  I like Alox and when I recently got a new to me red farmer I immediately wanted to carry it, tho I regularly carry an Explorer, Deluxe Tinker, or Swisschamp. 

I've carry my JPST along side my Wave because I enjoy having it with me even tho my Wave will be my primary tool of choice.  This past few weeks I've left my keychain tools on my night stand just to switch things up.  It's been interesting to reach for my manager and realize it's not there.  With so many tools at hand going minimal gives us all a chance to use what we have and not debate. 

It's sure is fun getting dressed and playing with ideas on how best we should be prepared for the day.

Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #77 on: November 12, 2014, 05:28:15 PM
I bought today this foam cylinder from a bookstore that makes using the Leatherman adaptor easier. It fits exactly and moving in and out of  the Skinth remains easy.
Precision Driver.jpg
* Precision Driver.jpg (Filesize: 215.62 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #78 on: December 10, 2014, 04:18:15 PM
Another Victorinox small backpack, it is the discontinued oval upper side Flexpack with the patented ratcheting system that can be used as a backpack, monosling and funnypack.

Here are the ratcheting elements

The pack fits my bag in bag and the Skinth CatchAll but it gets tight with the second so I am preparing a lighter EDC with a Shield 2XL

It has nice small pockets inside and I bought it second hand unused for 30€ (new ~80€).

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #79 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:15 AM
I just read from start to finish. You have mastered the transferring and carrying aspect of EDC. Even though it's always a work in progress.  I really really like how your always on the hunt for additions and improvements! I'll be buying a few pencil grips now for my screwdrivers and extensions.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 11:27:30 PM
I enjoyed it a lot in the way. The secret to success is the bag in bag concept. I just move from bag to bag that open black bag in bag with some essentials and my Skinth with my tools (toys). Just two things to remember. Both items are recent, purchased during my MTO era.
I even have two bags in bag into my Skinth. One is a clear congress namecard holder with a first aid kit for cuts (bandaids, alcohol pads etc) and the second a but for all small items. The second is in its 4th generation already. After trying my army days sewing kit holder, a small leather change wallet and a small EU plastic holder I now use a see through dense white mesh wallet that is bigger, thinner and permits me to see the contents and therefore retrieve them easier. I'll post some pics soon.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:38:01 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #81 on: December 18, 2014, 02:24:30 AM
kkokkolis, I enjoyed reading your EDC thread.   You are using the Skinth in a way that is different from the way most other people use their Skinths.

Good job!   :tu:
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #82 on: December 18, 2014, 09:32:00 AM
(Bad) Pics.
Skinth MTO.jpg
* Skinth MTO.jpg (Filesize: 77.39 KB)
Bags in Skinth MTO.jpg
* Bags in Skinth MTO.jpg (Filesize: 59.17 KB)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #83 on: December 20, 2014, 05:35:33 AM
Do things ever snag on eachother as you pull 1 item out?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #84 on: December 20, 2014, 09:50:13 AM
No. Most items are in their respective pocket (of the Pentapocket system) and the material has memory, meaning that it adapts to its contents and stays that way until you put the tool back again.
The only tools that are side by side are the Crunch, BiC, XLT and Vic sharpener but they all have smooth sides/scales (I put the Crunch with the protruding pliers piece resting in a fold of the material). The only thing that happens is that when I remove the Crunch or XLT then the BiC or Vic might fell in the side at an angle and I have to put it in it's place, no big deal.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #85 on: January 02, 2015, 08:39:35 PM
After reaching top load with the Skinth CatchAll, I now consider a lighter EDC, built around a SAK and Multitool. I think that my new Alox SAK with scissors hiraethus made for me will pair perfectly my scissorless Spirit. Another option is the XLT with a Crunch or Skeletool and the Charge TTi with hobbit scissors can replace the Spirit.
I ordered a Skinth Shield 2XL (and a Toolet M7 by the way) for this setup but it occurred to me that the unsang Victorinox OD Nylon seath that I EDCed before the Skinth might be able to accommodate this setup.
Guess what? It does.
Here it is, loaded.

Look how smaller it is compared with the Skinth CatchAll and the Victorinox Swisstool Plus seath.

And here the full load.

Maybe I'll start using it, while I wait for the Shield.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: January 02, 2015, 10:06:54 PM
Watches? I always carry one and have just a few. I have an eye for two specific watches I might get someday. Just one of the two. My No 1 is Tissot T- Touch
And my No 2 is Suunto Core

Until then I EDC the last year a Sector that's very EDC friendly.

For outdoors (and right now) I use a Casio Protek

And I exchange them from time to time with my previous EDCs, an automatic mechanical watch called Follie Follie

A Swiss Military (very nice)

A watch my mother gave me

And a Reymond Weill, present of my wife 23 years ago

Rarely I carried this Soviet chain watch, mechanical and stainless steel with hunting engraving. Might EDC it when I grow older.

Ha, My watch collection is as bad as my knife collection also :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #87 on: January 03, 2015, 01:05:12 PM
Before my Skinth CatchAll, 10 months ago, I EDC'd both this OD seath with Spirit, ratchet, extender and 6mm bits AND a Victorinox SOS leather sheath with an XLT and stuff. So this is going to be my lightest EDC since I joined here and the first without some kind of Swisschamp in 27-28 years. Let's see if I'll survive this. I will feel some inconvenience, that's for sure.
Today I tried to finalize the setup (a temporary, pre Skinth 2XL setup) and the outcome is this.

You can see that I sewed a black ribbon on the left side (as seen) for a Minimag LED. The material wasn't very good, I might redo it with some elastic ribbon in the future, but it works.
I replaced the 6mm bit kit and philips adapter with a Leatherman bit kit. I choose all the metric Hex and Torx bits and a PZ3/0 bit. I don't know if I will prefer it over the hexagonal bits but it saves space. So the Pocketwrench II fits nicely with it.

You can see the full contents here. I have put in the Leatherman extender since I choose the flat bits. I also used the same black paracord with OD dots everywhere. I don't like much the three paracords, it is too much, so I might remove the one from the SAK since it is easy to retrieve it from the case without the lanyard. I'm still testing.
I like the option of a corkscrew and it is a holder for the mini driver I use all the time (I wear glasses).

The testing already started, so I used the Spirit to pass the needle through the many layers of nylon, the corkscrew to untie the paracord until I was content with the result, the SAK scissors to cut the paracord. But I had to use the BiC from my Skinth to burn the paracord edges.
If the spirit had the 91mm scissors and blade (doable if they don't mind the tools not following completely the curves of the handles, as Leatherman chooses to do, they might make the blades OHO this way) I wouldn't need the SAK at all. The Spirit has all the over a century field tested tools a man needs, even a hook, and they all lock! My keychain Minichamp completes the setup with the more delicate tools for personal care and opening of smaller screws, a pen and a choice of toothpick or tweezers.
So the blades now are just three, with the SAK's the best of the three.
I think it is going to be fine, as long as I pass the withdrawal stage unharmed.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #88 on: January 03, 2015, 05:53:42 PM
Awesome setup, and I'm very glad the Pioneer is getting used. :tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #89 on: January 03, 2015, 08:39:18 PM
Thanks hiraethus. Yes, the Animus was going to be used, I changed setup to use it and it permitted me to change setup. It was used already since it replaced my Squirt as my general purpose scissors in home. I don't know if the Victorinox 91mm is the best pair of scissors but it is the one I prefer and I am considerably accustomed to their qualities. A lightweight frame makes their use easier. Since they were not included in their masterpiece, the Spirit, the rational thing to do was carry a lightweight SAK that sports them.
I was going to ask Syph007 to make me one sooner or later so your gift was spot on and valuable. These are the scales I prefer and the only change would be an awl or pruner blade in place of the combo tool. I love them both. Since the Spirit has an awl, the pruner would add one more special blade to the setup, mainly for box opening. The Cadet's file would be another option but I have it on the Minichamp. I'm just giving you ideas for future projects.
Stay assured that it is already loved and used.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%