Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fixed my DX 55-200mm Nikon lense!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Fixed my DX 55-200mm Nikon lense!
on: May 05, 2014, 07:23:46 PM
Woot! Fixed my DX VR 55-200mm Nikon lense at last! Sorry I have no pictures of the work in progress, but my Vic cybertool and Spirit were both involved at some point, as well as a magnetic driver head, and some precision tweezers...

Some time ago... quite a long time actually, I was switching between my 55-200 and my 18-55 and the 55-200 rolled out of my lap before I got the cover on it and fell about a foot to the ground... I saw at the time one of the the plastic teeth was a bit chewed from hitting the pavement, but didn't see any obvious damage and didn't think any more about it until the next time I tried to use it... seems like the little tab that controls the "Aperture coupling lever" had bent ever so slightly, whereas normally you should be able to flick it and it should snap back into place, but it was jammed.  :ahhh :( I hadn't used it in months as a consequence, fearing it would cost more to send it in and fix than I paid for the lense, so I've done without.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when my brother in law fell while hiking with his d7000 and his 18-105 VR and snapped the plastic mounting ring (ie lense connect to the body...)  :ahhh he ordered a replacement online and asked me to help him re-assemble as he had an issue trying to solder the (ground?) wire as it is very small and needed to be soldered to a tiny spring mounted pin. We successfully managed to get it sorted... actually I ended up taking it apart more and found an easier way to do it. And gradually we reassembled following the repair guide I had found online.

Today I thought what the hell, I'll have a look at mine, it's not near as damaged as his was. I was right, it was only the steel ring that controls the aperture coupler that was bent... a bit of tender flexing while holding it flat with my Spirit, and it was sliding back and forth effortlessly again, just finished putting the last screw back in (I'm not used to working on such small things, at least not without a microscope!) and it all seems good again!  :woohoo:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Fixed my DX 55-200mm Nikon lense!
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:51:45 PM
 :tu:

Thankfully, I haven't damaged anything yet in regards to camera equipment.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:32:24 PM
I'd like to get an 18-200mm VR and not bother changing my lenses at all... Except when I want my 35mm for low light...

sent from my Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:21:48 AM
I have a Pentax DA 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 ED/AL [IF] lens which is a nice carry around lens. Short and compact but dramatically gets longer on the high end. I do find it a bit slow, and because of this, not something I would carry as my only lens. However, if you are on a trip and need to pack light, this is the lens for that occasion.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:07:34 AM
Yeah that's a good range...

sent from my Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:16:15 AM
I had a Sigma 18-200, but the internal focusing gear somehow got stripped.  I was a great trip lens, and I'd like to get a replacement with a similar focal range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 03:03:20 AM
I'm not willing to compromise on glass quality to save a little money. I know there's some great off brand lenses for my Nikon, but I've been very happy with all my nikkor stuff so far.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 03:37:13 AM
Yeah, the Sigma wasn't top quality, but it beat switching out lenses.  I love my Minolta glass!! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD