Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old box packaging

Offline JellyBeansForArms

• New User
Old box packaging
on: June 07, 2014, 07:04:55 PM
Hey folks!

I just signed up here to ask a question, as I couldn't find anything by searching around.  I had no idea there was an entire subculture on Swiss Army Knives!  (SAKs, I guess you call 'em!)

I've been looking to pick up one to carry with me on a regular basis (EADs, I guess you call 'em!).  Back when I was a kid, my dad got me my first one (a "Recruit") and it came in a pretty nifty little sliding box.  They had several out on display in a display-case, and we picked it out together, and the guy gave us one of those little boxes.  It was pretty cool.

Well, I was thinking about picking up a new one (thinking a "Huntsman").  But I was disappointed to see that the stores I went to just had them hanging up in cardboard/plastic packaging.  So, questions:

• Did they completely do-away with the old box-style packaging?  I still have my original, and kind of think it's a cool thing to have.  I also think it would make a much better gift.
  • Did they "cheapen out" or something?  From what I've seen, the quality of the Swiss Army Knives themselves has gone unchanged.

I was just looking in passing at a few stores and noticed this--maybe I didn't go to the right places?  Maybe some places still have the old-school shopping and packaging experience. :P

Appreciate the insight!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Old box packaging
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:06:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. :waving:

You may find these threads interesting.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51309.msg866851.html#msg866851

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,18941.msg358453.html#msg358453

There are lots of different boxes, and it varies on location too I think. For instance my Cybertool 34 came in a huge box about 20x its size, similar to think one. I think those are limited to the UK though.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:57 PM
Hi JB,

Welcome to the forum. Victorinox packaging is very variable; depends on the model, the country, the retailer, etc. Most big-box retailers want large, nearly impenetrable clam-shells to discourage shoplifting. Order one from an on-line knife dealer and there's a good chance it will come in a sliding box. Most current boxes are grey. If its important to you email the dealer and ask.

Offline JellyBeansForArms

• New User
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 12:52:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

Seems the big-box guys around here all have the clamshell/cardboard packaging.. no boxes.
I'll have to do a little research for other smaller dealers in the area, or online dealers.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:03:38 AM
send felinevet here on the forum a PM or email. He's an authorised Victorinox dealer and should be able to help you out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%