Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Outrider mod?

us Offline wonderwolf

Outrider mod?
on: April 22, 2014, 04:47:35 AM
I love my trekker, but I'm kind of wanting more....especially with a girlfriend that likes to drink wine and the trekker lacks the corkscrew.... Looking at a outrider but want to do a one handed opening mod upgrade. do I just need the blade and the liner lock? Never done one of these before.

As an aside, has anybody ever bent a corkscrew? how does one bend it back accurately?
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Re: Outrider mod?
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:24:50 AM
Why? When fine wine comes in a box...At least that's what middle class house wives say.
Mommy's little helper.  :D

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:38:47 AM
What about the Forester, Nomad, Picnicker, or Skipper. All have corkscrews.
Not all are OHO, but some are. Also you might look are some of the larger Wengers,
some are OHO.
Rich
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:44:17 AM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:45:20 AM
I just checked sakwiki, the forester has the corkscrew and there is a OHO variant.

Hope this helps.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:59:10 PM
Do they still make the fireman. They where OHO and THO. They have a corkscrew.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:27:13 PM
I think the oho blade uses a thicker pin. Syph007 did something similar not too long ago.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:24:05 PM
I think the oho blade uses a thicker pin. Syph007 did something similar not too long ago.

Ya the 2 frames are all different pin sizes.  I still never got my mod back together but someday I will.  :D

Have a look here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48172.msg794833.html#msg794833

If you need any corkscrews, I have a couple hundred brand new ones.  :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:26:21 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 02:41:23 AM
Are the corkscrews for the 111mm's the same as the 91mm's???

Which begs my second question - which 91mm back side tools will fit in  the 111mm's? 

I just won a pair of 111mm's, an Adventurer and a Picnicker, and I was wondering what back side options I might have.

And thanks for the clear photo labels of the pin sizes! With the two slide locks on the way I can use the pin stock I have if I decide to mod.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 02:46:16 AM
Yep same corkscrew and phillips as the 91mm SAKs.  Same awl too.  None of the other backsprings have backtools so I think its just the 2 spots, so not much to play with there.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 03:51:03 AM
Hmmmm....looking at the outrider it looks like it has the smaller non locking flathead screwdriver/cap lifter. Don't like that really....this might be more involved than I planned but I do like the idea of building a 111mm frame that covers most of my needs in one knife.

Like I said I carry a trekker now.....I have tried the wenger ranger....did not like...might try the plain blade version sometime down the road but I think i'll come to the same conclusion. I COULD carry a 91mm with a corkscrew.....lord knows I have enough around (I just restocked my barter shelf with a bunch).

How useful is the smaller long philips in the outrider ??? is the head big enough for larger screws the back tool on my trekker is good for?
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 08:37:49 AM
Hmmmm....looking at the outrider it looks like it has the smaller non locking flathead screwdriver/cap lifter. Don't like that really....this might be more involved than I planned but I do like the idea of building a 111mm frame that covers most of my needs in one knife.

Like I said I carry a trekker now.....I have tried the wenger ranger....did not like...might try the plain blade version sometime down the road but I think i'll come to the same conclusion. I COULD carry a 91mm with a corkscrew.....lord knows I have enough around (I just restocked my barter shelf with a bunch).

How useful is the smaller long philips in the outrider ??? is the head big enough for larger screws the back tool on my trekker is good for?

The Outrider was my very first 111 and still one of my favorites.  The small phillips driver won't fit larger screws, but it does fit very small ones nicely.

I had Steve mod my Outrider a couple of years ago, just took out the saw blade, so it's basically a 111 mm Climber.  I keep it in my desk drawer at work now, but it's one of my favorite all purpose SAKs.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 03:57:05 PM
I love my trekker, but I'm kind of wanting more....especially with a girlfriend that likes to drink wine and the trekker lacks the corkscrew.... Looking at a outrider but want to do a one handed opening mod upgrade. do I just need the blade and the liner lock? Never done one of these before.

As an aside, has anybody ever bent a corkscrew? how does one bend it back accurately?

"Bent corkscrew:
Open the corkscrew and grip its base with needle-nose pliers - the locking type is best; insert the thickest nail that will fit into the coil and bend corkscrew straight."
SAK Owner's Manual

This method does work.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85