Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Attempt at CAD tool design

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
First Attempt at CAD tool design
on: April 26, 2014, 02:49:57 AM
Please be gentle- I am not much of an artist, nor am I terribly skilled with any kind of design software.  I decided that I needed to take a stab at this kind of stuff sooner or later, and this is my first attempt. 

It's a pretty simple tool, made with simple shapes, but so far this is the full extent of my abilities.  The wrenches are 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm (I figured out how to measure!) and the bottle opener doubles as a can opener since it comes to a point, but chances are it won't be a good one as it's a bit stubby.

I'm using Google Sketchup because it seems quite capable and the price was right- it's free.  :P

It's a work in progress- any help is appreciated although probably won't be understood... :P

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: First Attempt at CAD tool design
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:17:11 PM
Looks neat. Are you gonna have MTO or DEF cut into it?
Also wondering if your gonna put a bit driver on it?
live from Nate's mobile
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:19:07 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:31:10 PM
I did originally have a bit driver, but the software measures from the points, not the flats so I had trouble getting the size right.  The 6mm wrench slot should work- 6mm is 1/4" so another slot seems a bit pointless.

At any rate, this is more of an attempt to learn how to use Sketchup than any actual attempt to design a tool.  I was just using a simple one piece tool design as an example of something I am familiar with than something I was actually planning to make.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:31:27 PM
Looks good. 13mm might be more useful than 12 for the largest wrench size and you'll need to make the throat deeper to fit the nuts in (oo-er!). If you move the bottle opener closer to the wrench it'll probably work better as a can opener too. CAD's great (it's my job :tu: ) - it lets you try out loads of ideas before making mistakes for real.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 12:46:15 PM
You are right about all of that- really at this point I'm just learning how to make basic shapes.  I recently found out that I might have access to a Makerbot and that has kind of kicked a few project ideas into gear for me.  Unfortunately in order to use a Makerbot you need to have something to put into it.   :ahhh

I can't wait until someone develops the Star Trek type interface, where you give it the vaguest of ideas of what you want and it spits out exactly what you had pictured, with all the dimensions absolutely perfect.   ::)

There's a design I have in mind that should be quite simple, but for me, right now it might as well be nuclear physics..... except that I have some understanding of nuclear physics....   :facepalm:

Def

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 12:52:30 PM
I can't wait until someone develops the Star Trek type interface, where you give it the vaguest of ideas of what you want and it spits out exactly what you had pictured, with all the dimensions absolutely perfect.   ::)

Until then, you're stuck with design engineers. Thankfully. :D

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:54:41 PM
This looks good for a first try! I took some courses for AutoCAD some years ago. I might give this a try.

As for you design:
(And I don't know, if my Gebabbel is understandable)
If you move the can/bottle opner to the other side you could have one long straight edge in the bottom and on the other side you have the opener cut-out and behind it goes wider again for the wrenches. Something like this:

v-- can/bottle opener
                    |-\____)-----|
Wrenches -->  '>             <    <-- Pry end
                    |------------|

I hope you can see what I mean. Otherwise I might have to install Sketch-up  :o

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:05:06 PM
You are right.  I thought the tool looked too long already.

Of course the tool doesn't really mean anything other than a series of shapes I can visualize easily.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Offline Max Archer

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 09:25:57 AM
I'd move the can/bottle opener to the end below the wrench, not only would it likely work better on cans but it'd also make a decent package opener.

Adding a 1/4" bit hole would make sense as the tool needs a keyring/lanyard hole anyway and that could do double duty as one.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 09:50:03 AM
Very cool Grant. I'm gonna download Sketchup and have a play too.
Do you have the know how and tools to actually make some of the things you mock up like this?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:39:26 AM
Yes and no.  I have access to a Makerbot Replicator 3D printer but that only does plastic so that's only really good for plastic parts and mock ups.  For anything in metal is have to contract out.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 11:39:50 AM
As for the know how, not a clue!

Def

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 10:04:12 PM
Yes and no.  I have access to a Makerbot Replicator 3D printer but that only does plastic so that's only really good for plastic parts and mock ups.  For anything in metal is have to contract out.

Def

Just an idea:
You could make a plastic mock-up, finish it nicely and give it to an engraver/locksmith (?) to reproduce it out of a metal sheet (Sorry, I don't know the correct terms in english. I think of a machine also used to duplicate keys).

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 12:57:20 AM

Def

Oh wow… If I had access to a 3d printer I'd just be constantly making stuff. That's awesome.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 10:46:19 AM
It's not really regular access- it is a locally available service that a friend of mine helped set up.  I have been giving serious thought to getting my own at some point but I've held off because I have no idea how to design something to print out.  It isn't worth spending that kind of money just to print out generic iPhone cases from free download designs.

So, I figure I will spend some time learning how to do it and maybe look at getting one in the future.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%