Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The pocket sized Leathermans

Chako · 19 · 5197

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The pocket sized Leathermans
on: April 28, 2014, 12:39:56 AM
Leatherman has produced quite an astonishing variety of smaller sized multi-tools in the past, and that trend doesn't appear to be abating anytime soon.

Before I start, here are my little Leathermans by the numbers:

Micra - 40
Squirt E4 - 4
Squirt P4 - 8
Squirt S4 - 10
Squirt ES4 - 8
Squirt PS4 - 5
Style - 6
Style PS - 2
Style CS - 6

Total = 81  :o

The Micra is the longest running mulit-tool that Leatherman has in continuous production. I believe it came out  in 1996. It is now 2014, which makes the Micra's production run 18 years and counting. Phenomenal when you think the average model life expectancy can be measured in a few years. The Micra just has a great simple design based around a great pair of scissors.

For the collector, there are several interesting variants to the Micra. The Stainless steel Micra is very common. However, the painted Micras of the original form are harder to come by. Especially as the paint tends to fleck off with any form of use, so finding a good example can be a little bit of a chore to downright scarce. The gold Micra is a Texas Toolcrafter custom gold plated job.

Once the coloured original Micras ceased production, they then decided to use a plastic clear overlay on top of the stainless steel Micra. I beleive this was done to make them more durable to wear and tear. Of course this only increased the bulk of the tool, and dirt can find itself between the overlay and the tool making them hard to clean.

Of interest to the collector, are some of the special Micras produced. For example, there is the 2009 America Micra draped in an American flag. Then there is the pink breast cancer Micra that was sold for a short time from limited locations. It is located next to a pink anodized Micra in the following photo. Come to think of it, once the plastic Micras were produced, Leatherman then started to produce coloured Micras with a metal overlay. This didn't show the dirt as much, and looked a lot better than the plastic covered ones. However, as with the plastic covered Micras, fetching the tweezers is not as convenient as the original design.

Then there is also the relatively rare sports Micras such as the Portland Blazers Brandon Roy, and the green Portland Timbers. Also direct from the Leatherman Factory store, is this rare green/black swirl Micra. I am not sure if this was an error, or an experiment.

Following the successful Micra was the Squirt family introduced in 2002. Some of these are still in production, while some are now discontinued. The original Squirt series consisted of the E4, P4, and S4. All of these are now discontinued. They featured beautiful anodized aluminium scales and very much resemble mini Juices. The E4 features an electricians wire stripper head. The P4 featured pliers, and the S4 was supposed to be the successor of the micra with its scissors. We now know it failed in that regard as the Micra is still going strong.

These tools came in a variety of colours, mostly gray, red, blue, and pink. Of interest to collectors, one of the pink Squirt has "lady" written on it.

For the collector, there are some interesting models here as well. During the original Squirt's run, there were several errors made at the factory. The nice thing about Leatherman, instead of destroying their mistakes, they will often sell them at their factory store in Oregon. There were several errors made when they introduced their Knifeless Squirt which is a fairly rare model these days. I guess some factory workers mislabeled a few and re-ran them through the printer to X the "knifeless" out as they had the blade in them. On top of that, there were a few errors in assembly as well. In the next photo, you can see a Knifeless Squirt along with two errors, one featuring a nail file, the other, a metal file. Also in this photo are two red S4's mislabeled PS4. I can only assume this must have been towards the end of the Squirt S4's run when the newer PS4's were being introduced.

Also of collector interest, are some advertisers for Make: magazine. What makes these interesting are the cute sayings on them. In the next photo, you can see 2 Squire E4's with different fonts for "Warranty Voider."

After Leatherman produced their Squirt E4, P4, and S4 family, they extended it with two models that replaced the older 3 models. The Squirt PS4 and ES4 were introduced in 2010. Following Leathermans standard annotation, the PS4 features pliers with scissors, and the ES4 features wire strippers and scissors. Now what makes these interesting to collectors, the original run features rivets on the handles. The second to present run feature little torque bolts instead of the original run's rivets. On top of these changes, the PS4 and ES4 both featured a new textured handles in comparison to the smooth handles of the older Squirt family.

In the following photo, if you look closely at the upper 3 Squirts, they feature the original run's rivets. All others on the bottom two rows feature the newer retention system. In this photograph on the lower right hand side, are the Leatherman Styles. These are leatherman's smallest pocket based multi-tools. They were introduced at around the same time. There is a special run for breast cancer, which I believe would be of interest to collectors.

Much like the older Squirt family, there were several special run advertisers for Make: magazine. Once again, they feature cute slogans. Note that the two loser Squirts feature the original run's rivets, whilst the other two are newer.

Meanwhile, Leatherman took a different turn from the Squirt lineup. These different tools they called Style as seen in the above photograph. However, there would be two more additions to the Style lineup, the Style PS, and the Style CS. The Style CS came out in 2010. The Style PS came out the following year in 2011. Following Leatherman's nomenclature, the CS features scissors coupled with a knife blade. The PS is plier based, but instead of a knife, it features a smaller pair of fold away scissors. The PS was produced to meet flight requirements, hence the lack of a knife blade. The Style CS and PS are basically cute mini Skeletools.

For collectors, the Style PS is rather bland with little to no variations that I am currently aware of, However, Leatherman saw fit to produce the Style CS in a variety of colours. With that said, Multitool.org made a special limited run of each Style. I would imagine these might be very attractive to the collector out there. In the following photo, these special MT.O runs are presented in their metal presentation boxes in the background.

Who knows what the future will hold in regard to Leatherman's smaller multi-tools. In the past few years, Leatherman has embarked on an offshoot of pocket tools that are specialized towards sports. To date, they have produces 13 different non traditional for Leatherman tools. Here is a photo of these. I do not include them as they aren't folding tool based multi-tools. I have to wonder how many more of these types of tools Leatherman is going to produce, and just how successful these are in the market place.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:54:03 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: The pocket sized Leathermans
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:49:56 AM
I've been pocket carrying a MUT for the past week :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 12:52:55 AM
I've been pocket carrying a MUT for the past week :D

:rofl: :rofl:

I guess pocket sized depends on the pockets.  :D
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:55:02 AM
Whatever you do, just don't pocket carry a Gerber Recoil!  :o

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:02:32 AM
Whatever you do, just don't pocket carry a Gerber Recoil!  :o

I wouldn't dare.  :o
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 02:48:45 AM
Very, very nice.  Wow.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:03:31 AM
Information Overload.  :ahhh

thanks Chako

I'm always in awe of your collection.

excellent post.

40 different Micra's I knew there was quite a few but I would not have guessed that many. Since 1996 and still going strong.

I like to call the micra the one leatherman got right the first time.
Defend the Hive!!!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 03:10:32 AM
Ya the micra is the oldest LM still in production... next would be the crunch released in 1999.

I owned a few over the years but dont have any anymore.  My fav of the little guys is the P4.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 04:25:22 AM
40 micras. That's five pounds. Of micras.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 04:44:18 AM
They're cheaper if you buy them by the pound.  :rofl:

us Offline MGill

Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 08:48:20 PM
Awesome read!! Thank you Chako. Also your collection is mesmerizing. I hope and dream that one day my collection will grow to even half of what yours is. You sir as we say in the south "are on a whole nother level." You should do this for every class of tool LM makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:30 PM
Chako

Why

Are

You

Doing

That

To

Meee

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 02:25:18 AM
Sorry N_N_R.  :D

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 02:28:32 AM
 :sak:
Leatherman

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 02:28:57 AM
Leatherman

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 02:34:20 AM
great read as always and excellent pictures
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 03:04:43 AM
I always find a few typos and I think my fingers have a mind of their own at times...because I always find errors the next day. Rarely when I can exact a change do I spot them.  :facepalm:

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 02:56:57 PM
I must say I really appreciate your line of posts here with info about the different LM families. :cheers:
I have often admired your pictures while thinking: what´s the diference? :think:
Now I know. :gimme:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 03:49:14 PM
Where is the Mini :ahhh, :ahhh, :ahhh-wesome collection...

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%