Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

hoping victorinox to make medium size multitool

raptor · 15 · 2016

Offline raptor

hoping victorinox to make medium size multitool
on: June 10, 2008, 11:42:33 AM
at present victorinox only make full size multi pliers,I'm hoping for some kind of medium size.just like leatherman juice series.  :climber:

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Re: hoping victorinox to make medium size multitool
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:53:02 AM
And a Micra size MT too.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:58:08 PM
at present victorinox only make full size multi pliers,I'm hoping for some kind of medium size.just like leatherman juice series.  :climber:
They class the Spirit as a medium sized MT :)

As Bob (Bison 56) pointed out, there unlikely to do one smaller than the Spirit as that would compete head on with there own 91mm Sak's :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline raptor

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:38:01 PM
They class the Spirit as a medium sized MT :)

As Bob (Bison 56) pointed out, there unlikely to do one smaller than the Spirit as that would compete head on with there own 91mm Sak's :(

spirit is not so medium.when closed,it's longger than leatherman tti. :multi:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:41:06 PM by raptor »

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:37:01 PM
I like the size of the Spirit. If anything I would sacrifice a few tools to have it slimmer, more pocketable and lighter.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:48:13 PM
I like the size of the Spirit. If anything I would sacrifice a few tools to have it slimmer, more pocketable and lighter.
Me too. It's not really the length that is the problem. It's the weight. if they could make a 3 layer tool with a pocket clip it would sell like hotcakes.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:48:13 PM
While I can understand the argument that smaller multitools would impact the SAK line, I don't really think that stance makes good business sense.

For one, I don't think a SAK and a small multitool are viewed by the vast majority of consumers as interchangeable, identical products.

The SAK is a well-established, classic knife-based design recognized around the world. A pliers-based "mini-Spirit", on the other hand, would be regarded by most people as a very different and unfamiliar product.

In other words, the average person would think you were nuts if you hand them a "mini-Spirit" when they asked you for a SAK.

Don't forget that the biggest sellers are SAKs with just a few layers, and none of which have pliers.

As well, SAKs and plier-based multitools fulfill different needs. Case in point: how many people here carry a SAK despite having a smaller multitool like a Juice, Squirt, Clutch, etc.?

Lastly, small plier-based alternatives already compete with the SAK, so they are simply letting other companies take that money. People are already exposed to Juices, Squirts, Clutches, as well as cheap knock offs. If they are going to be lured away from a SAK by a small multi, it's going to happen regardless. Vic or Wenger may as well get a piece of the action or they are just giving that marketspace away.

[

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:37:58 PM
For what it's worth, I do agree with you :) There is a need for such a tool in the Vic/Wenger line up, but it's weather they percieve the need thats the problem :-\

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:32:37 PM
I would love to see a PSTII sized/tool selection SwissTool.Finally then my conversion to the DArk Side will be complete.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 11:35:05 PM
I would love to see a PSTII sized/tool selection SwissTool.Finally then my conversion to the DArk Side will be complete.

Dtrain
I thought you already had mate :)

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:23:37 AM
No when I EDC my SwissChamp with the SOS Pouch I carry my PSTII.This way I have a bit larger Pliers on my person.Yet I do not have to deal with the bulk of my SwissTool.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline carl

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 02:23:43 AM
I was actually hoping for the opposite - a larger Swisstool with ALL the tools.  At present, each Swisstool is missing one tool or another, whether its missing a SE blade, serrated blade, scissors, file, etc..

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 05:19:39 AM
While I can understand the argument that smaller multitools would impact the SAK line, I don't really think that stance makes good business sense.

For one, I don't think a SAK and a small multitool are viewed by the vast majority of consumers as interchangeable, identical products.

The SAK is a well-established, classic knife-based design recognized around the world. A pliers-based "mini-Spirit", on the other hand, would be regarded by most people as a very different and unfamiliar product.

In other words, the average person would think you were nuts if you hand them a "mini-Spirit" when they asked you for a SAK.

Don't forget that the biggest sellers are SAKs with just a few layers, and none of which have pliers.

As well, SAKs and plier-based multitools fulfill different needs. Case in point: how many people here carry a SAK despite having a smaller multitool like a Juice, Squirt, Clutch, etc.?

Lastly, small plier-based alternatives already compete with the SAK, so they are simply letting other companies take that money. People are already exposed to Juices, Squirts, Clutches, as well as cheap knock offs. If they are going to be lured away from a SAK by a small multi, it's going to happen regardless. Vic or Wenger may as well get a piece of the action or they are just giving that marketspace away.

I agree.  Even if the Vic multitools did take sales away from the SAKs, it's better than losing those sales to Leatherman or another competitor (which is already occurring).

I definitely would like to see Vic make a competitor to the Micra, Squirts, and Juices.  I also would like to see Vic or more likely Wenger, to show some cahonas and make an entirely new, unique type of small tool.  Just as Leatherman innovated their plier design, I'm sure that there is another type of tool, yet to be discovered.  Perhaps it would look like something from the Transformers movie or TV series.

"

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 01:25:42 AM
Whilst I find my little P4 to be an excellent tool, its doesn't give me that  :drool: feeling I get from Vic. gear.  I'd definitely be up for a Mini Spirit (Sprite? or perhaps a Wisp ;) ).

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 04:28:15 PM

The Vic equivalent of a Juice would probably be decent, but personally I don't care much for the Juice series - fairly compact, but too heavy for their capabilities.

The Vic equivalent of a LM Squirt or a Gerber Clutch would be of greater interest to me.

I currently EDC a Clutch and love its compactness, lightness, and suprisingly capable little spring loaded pliers.  Clutch's other implements mostly work OK, but are not up to Vic standards.

Vic may be working developing this kind of thing.  Their product development seems to proceed with the urgency of cold molasses, but that's probably due to the painstaking care they take to get everything just right before they offer a new model.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD