Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox straight pin

Offline tylosaurus

Victorinox straight pin
on: May 01, 2014, 09:36:44 PM
For the knives that come with a straight pin,  does the pin stay in place securely?

I have a Huntsman,  with the hole for the pin.   I bought a standard straight pin at Walmart,  but it won't stay in place,  if I open the corkscrew. 

Does anyone know the length and diameter of the pin that Victorinox sells?

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Victorinox straight pin
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:28:18 PM
Is the scale loose at all ? I have used many different pins from a sewing kit most have stayed in, really only had a problem when a scale is loose or warped.

Swiss Army knives .
CHEERS

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox straight pin
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:32:57 PM
Here the extents of the original Victorinox SAK Pin:

Length with head: 31,8037mm
Length without head:31,0472mm
Thickness needle: 0,7014mm
Thickness Head: 1,8589mm
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

nl Offline car2oonz

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:52:45 PM
For the knives that come with a straight pin,  does the pin stay in place securely?

I have a Huntsman,  with the hole for the pin.   I bought a standard straight pin at Walmart,  but it won't stay in place,  if I open the corkscrew. 

Does anyone know the length and diameter of the pin that Victorinox sells?
The standard pin delivered with my new SwissChamp is 32 mm (1 1/4") long and 0.7 mm (0.028") diameter (just under the pin head). I recently ordered two stainless steel pins from my Victorinox dealer (the Dutch online store) for € 2 each - that's $2.5! These have the same dimensions as the pin delivered with the SwissChamp, so I assume they are  genuine Vic parts. I think that is rediculously expensive, so for my other Vics I just used pins from my wife's sewing stuff, probably chromed steel rather than stainless. They are between 0.6 (0.024") and 0.7 mm (0.028") in diameter and between 30 (1.2") and 34 mm (1.34") long. They all fit and stay in position - in both 91 and 84 mm scales.

Spot the difference (top is genuine).

Upgrading my Explorer to plus spec with black scales, small screw driver, pen and €2 stainless pin!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:00:32 PM by car2oonz »

Offline tylosaurus

Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:44 PM
The knife is new,  and the scales look fine.   I'll measure the pin tonight and see if it's too small or narrow.   

Thanks.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 11:03:10 PM
You can get "Tailor's" pins at craft stores or places that have sewing goods. They are not regular sized straight pins.
T

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:21:12 AM
Wow, 2€ !
I bought mine for 0,25 or 0,30€ from the Victorinox Store. This might be cheaper to buy in Germany and to mail it to the Netherlands  :ahhh

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:38:55 AM

I prefer pins with the big plastic heads. Withdrawing the pin is eaiser...plus Im a sucker for color cordinating.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 02:37:53 AM
"I prefer pins with the big plastic heads. Withdrawing the pin is eaiser...plus Im a sucker for color coordinating."

Pure genius!

(runs off to rummage through two sewing kits we rarely use - OUCH! OUCH! finding ONE red headed straight pin!)

And I must admit that I did not know the Huntsman had the pin dock  :facepalm:
Huntsman Pin.jpg
* Huntsman Pin.jpg (Filesize: 41.2 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 02:43:40 AM
A suggestion (haven't tried it). Put a very slight bend in the pin.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 06:08:19 AM
One time I put a bit of honey on a pin that wouldnt stay put

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 02:09:17 PM
I use Victorinox pins and I've never had a problem...
SAW

Offline tylosaurus

Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 06:16:56 PM
turns out the pins I bought were only 19mm long and 0.5 mm in diameter.  I bought some larger pins at 33mm and 0.7mm.  They work perfectly.  It looks like it was the diameter that did the trick.  The thinner pins would not stay in. 

us Offline sawman

Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 06:23:19 PM
One great use I've found for my Vic straight pin is changing Casio watch batteries. It's a little hard to explain but there's a little tab that can be easily lifted with the pin to release the clasp over the battery. I find it to be the perfect tool for this. :tu:
SAW

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 02:30:31 PM

I just thought all of the 91mm models have the provision for the straight pin? At least all of mine do... 

???
darren

us Offline sawman

Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 02:33:31 PM

I just thought all of the 91mm models have the provision for the straight pin? At least all of mine do... 

???
It depends on the scales. I think the more recent scales have the pin slot but I bought a hunter green Climber last year and it did not have it - I was a little disappointed.
SAW

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 03:32:52 PM

???
It depends on the scales. I think the more recent scales have the pin slot but I bought a hunter green Climber last year and it did not have it - I was a little disappointed.

:facepalm:
darren

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 03:54:37 PM
I replace the Vic pin with a sewing needle thick enuf to stay put.  It is not as soft, is much sharper, and can be used for sewing.  Hard to remove tho.  If I could just get the point of the needle in the eye of the needle to withdraw the needle from the knife...      :think:
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 03:58:19 PM
I replace the Vic pin with a sewing needle thick enuf to stay put.  It is not as soft, is much sharper, and can be used for sewing.  Hard to remove tho.  If I could just get the point of the needle in the eye of the needle to withdraw the needle from the knife...      :think:

Carry two SAKs - one with a needle, one with a pin to get the needle out with. :tu:

us Offline sawman

Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 03:59:56 PM

Carry two SAKs - one with a needle, one with a pin to get the needle out with. :tu:
That's just silly  :twak:
SAW

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 07:51:32 PM
"The eye cannot see itself."   The SAKOM
I think Godel had something to say about this. 

I've had to get the needle out with the toothpick.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:55 AM
Couldn't you get the needle out with the small screw driver?

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 12:43:02 PM
A suggestion (haven't tried it). Put a very slight bend in the pin.

Excellent suggestion. In fact, I believe the slot for the pen (not the pin) is curved for that same reason. Same idea, but the other way around.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 05:27:36 PM
The needle is a great idea and I will be checking all my 91mm scales btw  ::)

What I might do is tie a knot of thin monofilament fishing line on the eye end with the ends clipped off. Then you would just have a knot the "should" give you enough to get it out.

One could also tie a wee bead to the eye with mono for a ensy bensy teeny tiny dangler

Then you need another SAK with a magnifier to see it!   :rofl:

On second thought this idea would mean you could not use the needle for sewing without removing the knot. Perhaps a uber small roll of thread?

This is getting ridiculous!  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:30:58 PM by n4vgm »

us Offline getahl

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 10:19:21 PM
All of my 91mm's, and a Sportsman, I think, were stocked up with needles courtesy of the fitting rooms at my local Kohl's. Those pins for just fine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 05:47:41 PM
Arise, Zombie Thread! I was actually looking for info on whether a sewing needle would work. And I still think the monofilament knot is an excellent idea - yes, you'd have to remove it to sew, but if it's come down to sewing, you're already into a major time commitment. Unless El Guapo and his band are on their way and you must "sew, sew like the wind!"

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 08:25:22 PM
I have a sewing needle in my kitchen Climber. It's good to see I'm not the only one to have thought of it, because it seemed logical. As noted, it's sharper and more versatile than the standard pin. If you need a blunt tip for something, use the needle the other way around. I put a small bend in it to keep it in place and use the tweezers to take it out.
Rambler

us Offline 264

Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 07:04:32 AM
 A few days ago I discovered that my Silvertech climber has a straight pin in the handle. I then went hunting for more pins to properly equip my other 91mm SAK's. I learned that a 1 1/4 inch pin was the prefered size for a Victorinox original equipment replacement. I casually mentioned that my first try at purchasing straight pins for my SAK's resulted in acquiring 27mm silk pins. They fit but were not long enough for my fat chubby fingers to easily grasp. However I did not have time to speak the rest of my story.  My wife disappeared momentarily and emerged with her sewing basket retrieved from the lower depths a.k.a our basement. A husband should not discuss straight pins with his wife if she has a seldom used sewing basket I have concluded. I tentatively opened the basket and noticed that the contents were a jumbled mess. You just can not say to your wife that her sewing basket holds a rats nest of sharp pointy objects that cause pain. You just can't, but if you do then you have started a verbal disagreement that only ends in hurt feelings. So I picked up a tray and looked under it and then place it back and looked bewildered and confused.  I thought I was on top of my game today. Oh I was so wrong. My wife then emptied the basket on the living room floor and started to ask me questions. I only was able to stamer that the pins I purchased were not long enough to suit me.....blah blah blah. I was then presented with a pin. And was asked to see the pins I purchased and most importantly the pin that was included with climber. Well some of the 27mm pins got mixed up with the pin my wife gave me. My gifted pin was 1mm longer than the 27mm pins. Should have said "Thank You it works just fine" and called it a day. But after almost 30 years of marriage I still make miscalculations. Or rather I suffer foot in mouth disease. I said they are all basically the same size and too short. And I placed the Silvertech's pin back where it belongs. The rest is a bit fuzzy. My wife got up to look to see how the pin she dug out of the basket for me did not measure up to my expectations. At some point a pin or two was released to the floor while my wife was fumbling with the basket. I got one of my super bright small flashlights and went pin hunting and I found the missing pins. This was not much of a win for me. I was told that the gifted pin was indeed longer than the others and what was my problem or rather " I thought you had a serious problem and was just trying to help you". I then dropped the pins trying to put them away because of my chubby fingers and needed to use the flashlight again. Was asked if I found what I dropped and said of course I did. Then grumped in less than a civil tone that I wanted to show her how I solved the pin problem. Well I achieved to hurt her feelings at this point. I had downloaded a image of Dritz brand #21(33mm) and #22 (32mm) size pins. At some point in the pin fiasko I said that it was impossible to find the measurements of OEM pins Victorinox uses. My kind, smart wife found this thread about pins used in SAK's. I just thought talking about improving some of my SAK's was a safe topic of discussion. I did apologize for getting grumpy.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 07:54:50 AM
 :rofl:

... that sounds all too familiar.
She loves you, I'm sure  :salute:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 02:01:57 PM