Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Kind Of Sorcery Is This?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
What Kind Of Sorcery Is This?
on: May 03, 2014, 03:28:23 AM
Last night I was looking through the Different Swisstool plier heads , the truth thread and followed a link from the first page to the SwissTool plier jaws thread where this post caught my eye.

EDIT This is another suggestion, but I think it's secondary to the reason that J-sews has offered.

Maybe the orientation of the halves of the tool might have been changed so that a right-handed person has a better view of the wire cutting blades when cutting or stripping a wire.  If I'm cutting or stripping a wire with the wire in my left hand and the tool in my right hand, I would tend to view where I'm cutting by viewing the tool from the left side.  If I did that, I could see where the top blade of the cutter was meeting the wire easier with the newer version.  With the older version, the bottom blade would be on the side that I'm viewing, but would be partially obscured by the wire that I'm cutting.

Uh....  I hope that made some sense...
Seeing as I had a Victorinox Spirit and a Leatherman within reach I compared the two. What I saw made me grab another Leatherman and then yet another. I only noticed because the Leatherman I picked up first had the replaceable wire cutters. Then today while taking the photos I was thinking about how scissors work. Thought I had better check those out too. I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: What Kind Of Sorcery Is This?
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 03:40:45 AM
I wonder if this is by design or just the way they were happened to be made?

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 04:13:46 AM
The vic pliers used to be the same as LM, but they changed them for the reason they mentioned.  More force on bolts is usually put in the counterclockwise direction.  So imagine you are gripping a bold with the end of he pliers, the Vic one doesnt stress the pivot, but pushes the halves together.

The scissors dont have the same use case, so I dont even think it matters which way they are.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 04:38:51 AM
The vic pliers used to be the same as LM, but they changed them for the reason they mentioned.  More force on bolts is usually put in the counterclockwise direction.  So imagine you are gripping a bold with the end of he pliers, the Vic one doesnt stress the pivot, but pushes the halves together.

The scissors dont have the same use case, so I dont even think it matters which way they are.
:twak:    Look again, at the wire cutters...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:44:00 AM

:twak:    Look again, at the wire cutters...

Ah! I missed that lol.  Does seem kind of random.  :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 10:15:26 PM
OK, that's interesting. :think:

I just did a quick check with a few multies I had here.

Over-Under: LM Freestyle, all the Juices, Pulse, Skeletool, Vic 91mm, Wenger 85mm (yeah, I'm counting those two :P ), Charge, Squirt PS4, Gerber Dime

Under-Over: LM SuperTool300, Vic Spirit, SOG Paratool.
P5030001.jpg
* P5030001.jpg (Filesize: 290.63 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:29:30 PM
Quick recap in an attempt to spark more interest.

Group one.
The Charge TTi and most other Leatherman and Gerber tools have the standard plier config and wire cutter direction.

Group two.
The Crunch, Spirit, Swisstool from 2005? onwards and SOG tools have the reverse plier config and wire cutter direction.

Group three.
Leatherman tools with the replaceable wire cutters have the plier config of group one but the wire cutter direction of group two.

Is the Victorinox Spirit the only tool with reverse pivot scissors?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%