Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Raptor vs Trauma Shears!

00 Offline AaronX

Re: Raptor vs Trauma Shears!
Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 09:37:37 AM
I have not had the Raptor apart. But all you need to keep it tight is a T8 for the scissor pivot and a T10H for the handle pivots. Those are the sizes that fit my Raptor. No need to send it in to keep it tight.    :)

Thanks, that's a relief. My main gripe with MT scissors is they can't be tightened.

All in a day's work.

Don't let it fall into the wrong hands!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 09:34:29 PM
I use my Raptor so often to open parcels and clam packages etc, that I leave it open at my station. It may as well be a fixed set of shears as I have no need to 'fold it up'...
SAW

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 10:19:35 PM
I saw the Raptor for the first time in a vitrine on friday. I thought it to be smaller. For a pocket tool, it is a beast. I wonder if a flat Trauma shear would be easier to store in a backpack, FAK, etc.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 01:14:21 AM
:popcorn:
Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 01:16:25 AM
all of the FAKs that we have around the farm in tractors etc (seriously, we have more FAKs than staff) have basic el cheapo shears and they're certainly compact. I'd be quite happy using them once and then chucking them, they give the impression that they can be used and abused but probably wouldn't survive more than a few incidents.

But then they're cheap, the entire kits cost something like £8 and they're pretty comprehensive.

us Offline sawman

Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 01:12:52 AM
Another thing about the Raptor is the scissors are wickedly sharp, flat on one edge and tiny serrations on the other. My experience with cheapo shears is they are in fact not sharp...

I'll stick with my Raptor :salute:

SAW

us Offline David

Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 01:58:46 AM
Another thing about the Raptor is the scissors are wickedly sharp, flat on one edge and tiny serrations on the other. My experience with cheapo shears is they are in fact not sharp...

I'll stick with my Raptor :salute:

Me to. The more I carry and use the Raptor the more I like it.     :salute:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 12:02:58 PM
That is good to hear!
Maybe it was my shock speaking, seeing tools only over the www makes some larger and others smaller in my mind  :think:

I also did not intend to compare a Raptor to those cheapo shears, but to the high quality EMT versions. And honestly I don't see a size benefit for most uses.
Either I carry a sized down FAK where I won't bother with the size of the Raptor, or I carry a normal FAK where professional trauma shears will fit. I try to like the Raptor, but I don't see the ~75 EUR I would have to pay as justified when there is not an adequate gain (window punch, strap cutter - All nice, but worth 55EUR more than trauma shears?). As I first heard about the Raptor, I thought it would be in the 30- 40 EUR price range.

But this is just my opinion, and I am not in the medical field.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:05:46 PM by RT1969 »

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 01:03:33 PM
Well, it's the only ring cutter I know of. Might be useful to have at home. Although a pair of bolt cutters will probably be the same.

us Offline sawman

Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 02:32:43 PM
That is good to hear!
Maybe it was my shock speaking, seeing tools only over the www makes some larger and others smaller in my mind  :think:

I also did not intend to compare a Raptor to those cheapo shears, but to the high quality EMT versions. And honestly I don't see a size benefit for most uses.
Either I carry a sized down FAK where I won't bother with the size of the Raptor, or I carry a normal FAK where professional trauma shears will fit. I try to like the Raptor, but I don't see the ~75 EUR I would have to pay as justified when there is not an adequate gain (window punch, strap cutter - All nice, but worth 55EUR more than trauma shears?). As I first heard about the Raptor, I thought it would be in the 30- 40 EUR price range.

But this is just my opinion, and I am not in the medical field.
You raise a good point. I love my Raptor but its high price may be its downfall.
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD