Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Center Drive Club

Offline Jan178

Re: Gerber Center Drive Club
Reply #510 on: March 22, 2022, 07:24:22 PM
I HAVE ONE TOO!!!  :cheers:

After years of thinking about it i finally got myselt the CD!
So, long story short, i found myself needing a multi with capability of taking standard bits. I watched reviews of SOG, Leatherman and Gerber, and decided that Gerber is the way.
I have had my MP400 for two decades, Spirit for couple of years and i´ve carried Suspension NXT for about half year, and none of those is close to what i really need at my daily job.

The MP400 keeps going with me when compactness and light weight is needed, but the tools are quite worn out and the whole thing is pretty limited overall.
Vic Spirit is absolutely great when i do some clean tasks inside the house and it´s tools are fantastic, but it´s finishing and tight tolerances makes the tool unusable when using it outside, cold and wet environment. More of an instrument than a tool. But not giving it away, no way!
Gerber Suspension NXT, well, i like it´s toolset, springloaded pliers are nice, phillips driver is absolutely usable and the awl works great as scriber. But they made the tool so unergonomic that it´s actually painful to use without gloves. Also the whole tool flexes so much it feels like it´s gonna break when even moderate force is used.

Now, i thought about getting a SOG Poweraccess for the exotic pliers and ability to use standard bits, but they apparently suffer major quality control issues. Might get the Powerpint is some point, though...
The Leatherman Wave would be a boring desision, tried and true, yes, but i don´t really care carrying plethora of useless flathead drivers. Ability to chance bits is cool, but their price is not. Also i couldn´t buy those bits from every corner store. And actually having used the Wave, while being greatly made it´s tools are, IMHO quite mediocre. And to use those standard bits i woul´d have to carry the extension with me. So, no.

So, what about the Center Drive? Yeah, Gerber has it´s quality issues, but it also has great quarantee. Also i have liked my other Gerbers, specially the MP400 and i think that the sliding pliers are next to none when it comes to usabilitity. The drive of course is the main attraction beside the big OHO knive.
I´ve had this beast of a tool for two weeks now and the more i use it the more i like it! Pliers and blades are coming smoother to open, i modded the tip of file to work as chisel. There are not too many tools in it, but the ones that are there feels to work as they should.

Not regretting my buy so far, and i think we have many years and many jobs ahead of us!  :multi:

* IMG_6331b.jpg (Filesize: 183.46 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #511 on: March 22, 2022, 08:01:00 PM
Good for you and welcome aboard!!  :multi:
Barry

Offline semso suljagin

Reply #512 on: July 27, 2022, 09:49:39 PM
 :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #513 on: August 20, 2023, 04:45:34 AM
Has anyone ever seen, or modded, a Center Drive pliers set into the blunt nose?  I think that would be a handy set of pliers!
Barry

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #514 on: August 20, 2023, 11:21:58 PM
Has anyone ever seen, or modded, a Center Drive pliers set into the blunt nose?  I think that would be a handy set of pliers!

I have thought about it but I already have a blunt nose mp600, surge, charge and a few others...

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #515 on: August 21, 2023, 01:07:39 AM
I'm sort of surprised Gerber doesn't offer one  :think:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #516 on: August 23, 2023, 04:34:42 PM
Well used but still getting the job done!

* IMG_20230823_103048712-01.jpg (Filesize: 137.6 KB)
Barry

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #517 on: November 11, 2023, 01:53:44 PM
Has anyone found good solution to spare bit holder so it wont prevent grabbing thin materials, i hate to open it everytime i want to grab thin materials like paper so 8 can pull them without slipping.
I could mod that holder so it wouldnt engage other side when grabbing thin materials but it would also mean that lifting up spare holder comes troublesome especially when wearing gloves ( without gloves its also really difficult) to me its really huge flaw on desing, on my previous Centerdrive i modded part that engaged orjer handle away so i know how annoying that can be, also i dont wanna keep holder open cause if it comes loose bits drop and secondly it digs to your hand when squeezing pliers ( without gloves or thin gloves) also it sometimes stucks to your pockets cause of that holder, i carried it on my workpants swing pockets for faster acces, many times it got stuck on fabric inside pockets.
So i decided to cut away that part but it made lifting holder near impossible without help of something like nail or screw. Eventually i just let it sit and started carrying seperate bitholder cause it was easier to grab bit from it that lift up holder.
Eventually i sended Centerdrive to warranty cause blades lock bended and i couldnt bend it back so blade wouldnt wiggle back and fort when blade was engaged, when i got new i partially gave up carrying it cause of that flaw in desing and replaced it with ST300 and Victorinox wrenches.

There is that flaw, if anyone wonder what part i meant. Try it yourself, when sparebit holder is closed grab paper with pliers and pull paper it just slips, then open holder and repeat grabbing and it wont slip like when holder closed. It seems to be small flaw but it is actually really huge desing flaw.
To make it work better Gerber should redesing holder so that lift up mechanism is much lower than it is now. Difference between gap on handles closed and opened holder is roughly 2-3mm but if you press even more on opened holder handles gap is much less, but even without pressing hard that 2-3mm makes pliers grab paper without it slipping. So it makes huge difference even that gap is so small.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #518 on: November 11, 2023, 04:58:02 PM
Of all the pieces on the Center Drive, that bit holder is the one part that almost everyone dislikes.  Mine wants to drop the bit because it gets loose.  I think it could definitely use some revisions. 
Barry

00 Offline Judith

Reply #519 on: February 19, 2024, 03:46:35 AM
Just picked up a CD the other day, they had it 20% off at Ace Hardware. So far I really like it, it rattles a bit more than my surge but I honestly prefer it over the Surge so far. One thing though does anyone know where you can buy the bit set that comes with it? The one I purchased didn't include the bit set and Ive looked high and low and can't find it anywhere. I couldn't even find it on Gerber's site

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #520 on: February 19, 2024, 04:22:37 AM
Welcome to the club Judith!  I know someone posted a link on either the CD or MP600 owner's club for the bit kit.  Let me look and see what I can find for you and get back to you.
Barry

00 Offline Judith

Reply #521 on: February 19, 2024, 04:26:36 AM
Thanks Barry, this site has been awesome to browse through since I stumbled across it recently. Since the CD takes standard 1/4 bits I know I can use some off the shelf ones but I’m a sucker for having my equipment match up OEM wise. Thanks again!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #523 on: March 05, 2024, 12:00:49 AM
Some pictures from the Driver Challenge.  I don't know why I didn't post more here  :facepalm:

* IMG_20240131_102452510_HDR-01.jpg (Filesize: 165.77 KB)
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #524 on: March 05, 2024, 12:03:32 AM
 :ahhh

* IMG_20240131_102410064-01.jpg (Filesize: 186.13 KB)
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #525 on: March 05, 2024, 12:03:54 AM
☕☕

* IMG_20240120_141314496-01.jpg (Filesize: 109.08 KB)
Barry

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #526 on: March 24, 2024, 05:03:48 PM
Patina!!! :multi:

20240324_114759.jpg
* 20240324_114759.jpg (Filesize: 288.01 KB)

20240324_115056.jpg
* 20240324_115056.jpg (Filesize: 330.63 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #527 on: March 24, 2024, 05:18:03 PM
Excellent!!  Juan that looks great!
Barry

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #528 on: March 24, 2024, 05:20:33 PM
 :hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #529 on: March 24, 2024, 05:22:56 PM
I love how the Center Drive seasons with use.  They look better the older they get  :D
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD