Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Mp600 owners club ;)

Zed · 1272 · 106737

us Offline rescue4500

Re: Gerber Mp600 owners club ;)
Reply #600 on: February 25, 2019, 05:05:41 AM
.    My first new gerber purchase, I’m not so sure about it but I’ll carry it this week to try it out, and if I don’t like I’m sure it will look great in my collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #601 on: February 25, 2019, 05:17:28 AM
The thing to keep in mind is that the 600 is a very old design and not refined at all. But, that said, they will take a beating better than almost any other MT ever made. They just don't look pretty doing it. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #602 on: February 25, 2019, 04:56:37 PM
Another one striked off the wish list! Mp600 Fisherman. :D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #603 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:35 AM
Another one striked off the wish list! Mp600 Fisherman. :D
Matching pair:  MP400 & MP600   :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #604 on: February 26, 2019, 05:04:13 AM
Matching pair:  MP400 & MP600   :tu:

:hatsoff: now, waiting for a Filk Fisherman to appear..

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #605 on: February 26, 2019, 05:30:44 AM
Sweet finds, Sam! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #607 on: February 26, 2019, 07:17:31 PM
im on day 3 of carrying the mp600, still not impressed so far, but im trying to remain open minded and give the tool at least a full week of service before jumping to conclusions  :tu:
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #608 on: February 26, 2019, 07:49:37 PM
The 600 is an acquired taste. The taste is usually only acquired under the hardest MT uses. Particularly the pliers on the 600. Gerber pliers tool steel is the most resistant to damage I have ever used.

My first MT, and only one for over a decade, was an OG Multi-Plier. So I have a soft spot for the sliding pliers Gerbers. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #609 on: March 10, 2019, 04:35:26 AM
New addition:

Early Prototype MP600 with Maroon finish. This is a genuine example, with Simonds marked file and pliers head with sprue marks.

Thanks again to gregozedobe for messaging me about it. :cheers:

And a couple of shots with the early yellow/black/SS MP600 and red-cerakote Snap-On SMT97R(MP600 chasis/pliers and special toolset).

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #610 on: March 10, 2019, 04:58:37 AM
New addition:

Early Prototype MP600 with Maroon finish. This is a genuine example, with Simonds marked file and pliers head with sprue marks.

And a couple of shots with the early yellow/black/SS MP600 and red-cerakote Snap-On SMT97R(MP600 chasis/pliers and special toolset).

Nice MP600s  :tu:   :hatsoff:

Is the finish on the Maroon prototype some kind of hard finish (not soft, easily chipped paint) ?

I only just noticed the locking tabs on the Snap-On are different to the regular MP600s (and I have 3 of the Snap-On ones, got the first one back in 2016 ! )
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #611 on: March 10, 2019, 05:07:35 AM
Nice MP600s  :tu:   :hatsoff:

Is the finish on the Maroon prototype some kind of hard finish (not soft, easily chipped paint) ?

I only just noticed the locking tabs on the Snap-On are different to the regular MP600s (and I have 3 of the Snap-On ones, got the first one back in 2016 ! )
Thank you, Greg!  :cheers:

It appears to be more like a cerakote than an anodized(I am certain it is not anodized) or painted finish. It is quite tough and doesn't show the easy chipping of the yellow MP600(I checked with a very light knife scratch inside the handles). There is wear inside the handles where the pliers slide in and out(minimal though and only where the pressure is strongest), but I expect that with any non-oxide finish. My Snap-On has that already, just from opening it to take photos. The outside of the tool looks really good and has held up better in storage than the yellow/black/SS 600 has.  :)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #612 on: March 10, 2019, 06:05:23 AM
Wow! I really  :like: the colour here! The maroon looked terrible in the ebay listing! Congrats again for the new addition!  :twak: on myself!!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #613 on: March 10, 2019, 06:37:04 AM
Wow! I really  :like: the colour here! The maroon looked terrible in the ebay listing! Congrats again for the new addition!  :twak: on myself!!

Thanks, buddy!  :cheers:

I kind of figured the listing photos were bad, because the SS tools has an "orangish" tint to them in the listing photos. It is a looker for sure, in person and in color-correct photos.  :)

Well, I would say too bad/sorry, but you have some tools I cannot get my hands on as well. Cough.....fishermans....cough.  :pok: :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #614 on: March 10, 2019, 11:25:14 AM

I also meant to mention that the first tool I know of that had the updated tabs was the MP600 Sight Tool(maybe 2014? That is when my U.S marked - updated Multi-Plier stamp - Sight Tool is dated). It seemed to coincide with the introduction of the fantastic huge combo-edge blade on the Sight Tool and Snap-On.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #615 on: March 11, 2019, 08:40:54 PM
Alright. After a lot of restoration work, I'd say the cutter head is at 98% of being unused.

Here is a photo of the 600 Cable broken down. Note the heavily dinged up cutter.

After fine-filing(diamong coated needle files) the cutters back to the right profile, I replicated the Gerber finish on the jaws as closely as I can, but I haven't figured out a way to make it perfect yet. Close enough for this 600Cable Cutter to go into the collection.  :)
The rest of the tools were wire-wheeled(varying brass or fine steel wheel) and oiled before reassembly.

Cutter Head close-up after reprofiling and finishing.

And a couple of shots with the MP650, which I also received a cable cutter head for.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #616 on: March 11, 2019, 08:50:01 PM
:sa:
:drool:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #617 on: March 12, 2019, 05:36:48 AM
Alright. After a lot of restoration work, I'd say the cutter head is at 98% of being unused.

Here is a photo of the 600 Cable broken down. Note the heavily dinged up cutter.
(Image removed from quote.)

After fine-filing(diamong coated needle files) the cutters back to the right profile, I replicated the Gerber finish on the jaws as closely as I can, but I haven't figured out a way to make it perfect yet. Close enough for this 600Cable Cutter to go into the collection.  :)
The rest of the tools were wire-wheeled(varying brass or fine steel wheel) and oiled before reassembly.

Cutter Head close-up after reprofiling and finishing.

And a couple of shots with the MP650, which I also received a cable cutter head for.

:ahhh :ahhh I want one so bad!!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #618 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:15 AM
:sa:
:drool:
Thank you, Nick! :cheers:

:ahhh :ahhh I want one so bad!!

Thank you much, Sam! :cheers:

I feel the same about the Fisherman tools you bought. Just super cool!

When I saw the listing for the Cable Cutter, I bought it without hesitation. Thankfully the tool turned out collection worthy. No parts needed changing out and the cutter head looks good. :)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #619 on: March 12, 2019, 06:55:02 AM
Thank you, Nick! :cheers:

Thank you much, Sam! :cheers:

I feel the same about the Fisherman tools you bought. Just super cool!

When I saw the listing for the Cable Cutter, I bought it without hesitation. Thankfully the tool turned out collection worthy. No parts needed changing out and the cutter head looks good. :)

Exact same thought when I saw the fisherman. But so far when I see the cable cutter on the bay, it's always price at a premium.. Even when usually my thinking "is buy once and get it over with" , its still too high..  :-\

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #620 on: March 12, 2019, 07:06:41 AM
Exact same thought when I saw the fisherman. But so far when I see the cable cutter on the bay, it's always price at a premium.. Even when usually my thinking "is buy once and get it over with" , its still too high..  :-\

Indeed. The Cable Cutters are usually insane. I paid $77 shipped for mine, so it was a decent deal. But, that being said, I put quite a bit of labor into the restoration.  :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #621 on: March 12, 2019, 07:45:51 AM
Indeed. The Cable Cutters are usually insane. I paid $77 shipped for mine, so it was a decent deal. But, that being said, I put quite a bit of labor into the restoration.  :ahhh

I, would had jumped on it at $77... Usually I see them at $120 up........  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #622 on: March 12, 2019, 08:10:17 AM
Hopefully you can find one soon! And I hope you don't have to put as much work into it as I did on mine. :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #623 on: March 12, 2019, 09:02:09 AM
Hopefully you can find one soon! And I hope you don't have to put as much work into it as I did on mine. :ahhh

I hope so too. I dun mind restorations at all. As long as the rust does not set in too bad. Sometimes I buy beat up MT just for fun of cleaning them up..  :) they have to be at a fitting price of course.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #624 on: March 12, 2019, 02:46:06 PM
I hope so too. I dun mind restorations at all. As long as the rust does not set in too bad. Sometimes I buy beat up MT just for fun of cleaning them up..  :) they have to be at a fitting price of course.
:cheers:
Very true. I always go off of the condition of the plier head(if the head is salvageable) and the handle appearance.
I'm sure you know about the Gerber spotted fever as well. :facepalm:

I did take a gamble in the cutter tool. But, the tools as a whole had little noticeable Gerber fever and the fold out tools were unused.  :woohoo:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #625 on: March 12, 2019, 03:14:40 PM
:cheers:
Very true. I always go off of the condition of the plier head(if the head is salvageable) and the handle appearance.
I'm sure you know about the Gerber spotted fever as well. :facepalm:

I did take a gamble in the cutter tool. But, the tools as a whole had little noticeable Gerber fever and the fold out tools were unused.  :woohoo:

Yeah agree. Everything else can be easily replaced other than the pliers, in your case the precious cutter. The place I am at is known for humility... Not only Gerber fevers. Everything fevers.. :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #626 on: March 12, 2019, 03:20:42 PM
Yeah agree. Everything else can be easily replaced other than the pliers, in your case the precious cutter. The place I am at is known for humility... Not only Gerber fevers. Everything fevers.. :facepalm:
Indeed! :ahhh

About the Gerber fever, have you figured out a way to remove some of the spots without disturbing the satin finish yet, Sam? I've got a couple of early 600s that are in great shape, but have the fever. Whenever I try to remove the spots, the satin turns to polished spots. :ahhh

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #627 on: March 13, 2019, 07:32:06 AM
Indeed! :ahhh

About the Gerber fever, have you figured out a way to remove some of the spots without disturbing the satin finish yet, Sam? I've got a couple of early 600s that are in great shape, but have the fever. Whenever I try to remove the spots, the satin turns to polished spots. :ahhh

There's only one way to deal with the spot rusting.. The low light treatment.

Store all the MPs in low light area. Clean only under low light. U will not see the spots under low light. If u still sees them, you are doing it wrong again. Go lower light.  :cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #628 on: March 13, 2019, 09:11:18 AM
The problem with the Gerber Cable Cutter head is that the cutters were designed to cut very soft copper cables, so as soon as someone uses them on any kind of steel (doesn't have to be hard) it damages the cutting edge, and they aren't simple to re-contour to restore the cutting edge. 

IMO they are really only fit for shelf queen duties ie for looking at as a different and unusual MT (and the buying public agreed, which is why Gerber no longer sells them).  They look impressive with those great big cutter jaws, but weren't so good in actual use.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #629 on: March 13, 2019, 02:22:26 PM
There's only one way to deal with the spot rusting.. The low light treatment.

Store all the MPs in low light area. Clean only under low light. U will not see the spots under low light. If u still sees them, you are doing it wrong again. Go lower light.  :cheers:
Thanks, Sam! Honest and humorous.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%