Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Mp600 owners club ;)

Zed · 1272 · 108293

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Gerber Mp600 owners club ;)
Reply #690 on: July 06, 2019, 05:29:51 AM
Think I can handle that request, Charles.  :)

Some of the rare ones have small differences that are minor, but indicate the age/stage of the Multi-Lock/MP600 series. Several of the rare tools have the same basic toolset as the regular 600s, but several have differences like an awl, blade exchanger, hook pick, combo blade, scissors, etc, etc.

Pics.

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #691 on: July 06, 2019, 05:57:48 AM
Very cool. I love the awl, that is a really useful tool. Looks like it could ream/drill a nice hole in wood, punch a hole in a belt, and also be used to sew in a pinch.

The fisherman is cool too. File has a fish hook sharpener groove. Is it a diamond file?

I have a sight tool on the way, actually. How rare is that? I was going to mod it, but if it’s super rare and expensive I might not.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #692 on: July 06, 2019, 07:26:32 AM
Very cool. I love the awl, that is a really useful tool. Looks like it could ream/drill a nice hole in wood, punch a hole in a belt, and also be used to sew in a pinch.

The fisherman is cool too. File has a fish hook sharpener groove. Is it a diamond file?

I have a sight tool on the way, actually. How rare is that? I was going to mod it, but if it’s super rare and expensive I might not.

Charles.
The awl is indeed pretty good.  :)

The file on the Fisherman has a diamond side and chisel tip. Pretty cool design I wish Gerber had incorporated into more 600 versions. :multi:

The Sight Tool isn't collectible rare yet, because they still make them. I included it mainly because there are hundreds of Basic MP600s for every one Sight Tool made. The Sight Tool and Snap-On are the best of the bunch for availability and usability. They both also have the updated lock tabs with the huge blades. Great tools and nice to use. Just be careful adapting the sight mount for a bit driver. It may not be tempered like the regular Gerber drivers(it can be used that way, but not for heavy duty driving), based off of experiences I've read. :ahhh

The blunt plier head will work in the sight tool and Snap-On as well if you want to use it in the frame.  :woohoo:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:34:41 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #693 on: July 09, 2019, 05:24:07 AM
Think I can handle that request, Charles.  :)

Some of the rare ones have small differences that are minor, but indicate the age/stage of the Multi-Lock/MP600 series. Several of the rare tools have the same basic toolset as the regular 600s, but several have differences like an awl, blade exchanger, hook pick, combo blade, scissors, etc, etc.

Pics.

(Image removed from quote.)

I need to apologize for the mindless error I made in the tool labeling. The Camo "Woodsman" isn't a Woodsman. It is a Camo "Pro Scout ".
Sorry about that. I will delete the photo from imgur immediately.

Another case of me falling victim to taking a seller's words at face value and not checking things as thoroughly as possible.

Again. Sorry about that. Lots to learn, but getting there. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #694 on: July 15, 2019, 04:19:32 PM
Here’s my latest MP600. It started life as a Sight Tool. I kept that lovely large blade and the long reach Phillips, and modded it with scissors and a file. I had space left for one more tool so I made a small punch tool out of a spare blank. I’m thinking about modifying (cutting short and pointing) the scraping tool that came with the sight tool instead though, as the punch I made is pretty short. Still, it would make a hole in a leather belt easily.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #695 on: July 15, 2019, 04:37:28 PM
Looks awesome, Charles!  :like:

One thing about the scraper tool though. It is a mild steel, but could possibly be tempered. Though the lack of information on the scraper's mild steel composition is unknown as far as I know(maybe someone else knows).  :dunno:

us Offline JonesE

Reply #696 on: July 16, 2019, 01:56:24 AM
Hey CC, that is a cool modded MP600ST.

JonesE

• No Life Club
Reply #697 on: July 16, 2019, 08:28:33 AM
Thanks! I’ve got a pocket clip on the way, and I’ll drill and tap the handle and mount the clip as soon as it arrives. Then it’ll be complete I think. Well, unless I find a black blunt nose pliers head.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #698 on: July 17, 2019, 10:08:42 PM
So after some experimenting, the awl from a Center Drive fits in the tool IF it is next to one of the thinner long tools. Then the tip sits next to the retracted jaws. If it’s anywhere in the center it contacts the jaws when they’re retracted.

In the pic you can see the tip sitting almost against the jaws. There is less than 1mm between the jaws and the tip. The awl tool is next to the file tool. It does not work next to the scissors. I haven’t tested it next to any of the blades yet.

You’ll also need to shim it properly so there’s not too much empty space on the fixed side of the pivot, which may move the tool closer to the center.

Charles.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #699 on: July 17, 2019, 10:26:34 PM
Great job Charles  :tu:.

I really like the awl on the CD myself.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #700 on: July 17, 2019, 10:52:40 PM
 :iagree: Great job!

That CD awl is the best plastic drilling awl I've used. The ultra pointy tip and good steel temper make a difference. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #701 on: July 18, 2019, 04:59:37 AM
I like it too, but I put a pro scout saw holder in my center drive, and had to remove the awl. Fortunately I get to use the awl in my new modded sight tool. I removed the home-made awl and put this in its place. It’s a good change. :)

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #702 on: July 21, 2019, 07:16:21 AM
I snagged a near mint black oxide mp400 for the paltry sum of $9 (shipped!) to use as a donor for the scissors i added to the sight tool mod above. Well, I happened to have a spare silver mp600 handle and the needle nose I removed from the sight tool. So I moved the parts from the mp400 over to this tool, and then I went ahead and made it bladeless and added a file and the scraper from the sight tool. I had some silver scissors so I tossed them in too.

Then of course I had to add a pocket clip as well. Trying a new one this time. It’s a third the cost of the clips I’ve been using ($10 shipped vs $23+$6 shipping) and it’s black, which works well on this contrasting Tool. It’s not as nice as the titanium clips I’ve been using, but on a bitsa tool like this, made from other tools’ leftover parts, it works.

Thing is, except for those silver scissors, this is really nice now!

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #703 on: July 21, 2019, 10:58:03 AM
I snagged a near mint black oxide mp400 for the paltry sum of $9 (shipped!) to use as a donor for the scissors i added to the sight tool mod above. Well, I happened to have a spare silver mp600 handle and the needle nose I removed from the sight tool. So I moved the parts from the mp400 over to this tool, and then I went ahead and made it bladeless and added a file and the scraper from the sight tool. I had some silver scissors so I tossed them in too.

Then of course I had to add a pocket clip as well. Trying a new one this time. It’s a third the cost of the clips I’ve been using ($10 shipped vs $23+$6 shipping) and it’s black, which works well on this contrasting Tool. It’s not as nice as the titanium clips I’ve been using, but on a bitsa tool like this, made from other tools’ leftover parts, it works.

Thing is, except for those silver scissors, this is really nice now!

Charles.

Very nice work, Charles! Two nice custom 600s now!  :like:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #704 on: July 21, 2019, 11:05:00 PM

• No Life Club
Reply #705 on: July 22, 2019, 04:59:57 AM
Well technically I have four nice mp600s now. I do wish I had another pro scout saw holder, to return my pro scout to stock. Or a diesel saw.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #706 on: July 24, 2019, 10:32:55 PM
Here is the modded ST, now with a pocket clip for EDC.

I’m not sure about EDCing it though. I prefer a saw over a blade, as I always have a blade on me of one sort or another. But this has the super long ST blade, so it’s actually far more useful than a normal mp600 blade. Stil... if I find another pro scout for a good price, I may toss the blade and the lanyard loop and add a saw exchanger. Or perhaps mod in a diesel saw. Depends on what I find for good prices.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #707 on: July 28, 2019, 03:31:39 AM
Carried the MP600 custom today. It has mod blunted NN hybrid tip pliers, FLiK #1 phillips driver(to increase the function of having the #2 Gerber phillips) and FLiK wood saw(the only 600 with a FLiK saw I know of).

• No Life Club
Reply #708 on: July 28, 2019, 04:36:59 AM
I like that extra driver! And the saw is slick too. Too bad you had to sacrifice a flick to make it though. Those aren’t easy to come by.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #709 on: July 28, 2019, 04:54:58 AM
I like that extra driver! And the saw is slick too. Too bad you had to sacrifice a flick to make it though. Those aren’t easy to come by.

Charles.
Thanks, Charles! :cheers:

The FLiK parts helped repair another FLiK and a FreeHand(FLiK's gigantic bigger brother needed a pliers mount screw). Got three tools fixed up with the one FLiK(it had a bad pliers mechanism and stripped out screw to begin with), so the sacrifice was worth it. :)
I still need to get the FLiK scissors in the 600, but making the pivot bushing(the FLiK outer pivot holes are larger while the FLiK small tools have the standard Gerber pivot size) by hand out of tiny washers is a PITA. :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #710 on: July 28, 2019, 06:07:00 AM
OK. This thread pursuaded me to finish my modded 600. Made a bushing wide enough for the scissor and spring out of some steel sheeting out of a computer case. The weaker steel is fine for scissors, so didn't need to make a bushing out of steel washers. :woohoo:

I did have to grind 1/8" off of the scissor handle(as well as remove the FLiK scissor thumb pad), so it could be used with the pliers retracted, though I will use them with the handles open for effectiveness.

Here it is. FLiK scissors in an MP600. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #711 on: July 28, 2019, 06:58:36 AM
Oh my. Those scissors with that orientation will fit right in a Center Drive!

On the hunt for a damaged flik now...

Wait. That's an outside opening tool. I wonder.... could it replace the OHO blade, to make a bladeless center drive??

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #712 on: July 28, 2019, 08:11:13 AM
If there is enough metal on the tang to work with, that would be really cool to have them OHO. :like:

The FLiK still uses the saf-t-lock mechanisn on the OHO outboard tools, so it may not work. But, that said, I'm definitely not a master modder, so maybe someone else has some insight on the idea. :)

The FLiK scissors, even without the thumbpad, are notably better than the CD+ scissors. More cutting area and a longer handle. If you could make them outboard on the CD, you could keep the nice thumbpad too. :)

Good luck on the FLiK hunt, Charles!
And don't forget to post a wanted thread if you haven't done so! :cheers:

I can measure the thickness of the sheet I used to make the bushing when you're ready as well. It ended up being perfect with no play in the lockup.

Also, forgot to mention earlier, I ground about 3/32" off of the spine of the scissor frame. No mods were done to the spring though.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #713 on: July 28, 2019, 08:15:14 AM
Nudge Nudge, Gerber company. :pok:

Those are the scissors that should be in the CD+. ;)

Once a user can get over using the scissors with the handles open, they'll see how much nicer the cutting action is without the lanyard hole lock release of the CD+ in the way of using the scissors.
The CD sprung pliers would make the handle-open scissor-action even easier.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #714 on: July 28, 2019, 11:50:38 PM
Nice job/mod gerleatherberman!!! :drool: :like: :gimme:

• No Life Club
Reply #715 on: July 29, 2019, 01:11:38 AM
Actually, with those scissors, the stock file, combo pry tool, and awl, plus a saw blade in place of the OHO knife blade, the center drive would be damn near perfect.

Charles.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #716 on: July 29, 2019, 04:41:56 AM
Nice job/mod gerleatherberman!!! :drool: :like: :gimme:
Many thanks, Juan! :cheers:

Actually, with those scissors, the stock file, combo pry tool, and awl, plus a saw blade in place of the OHO knife blade, the center drive would be damn near perfect.

Charles.
:like: :iagree:

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #717 on: August 05, 2019, 01:42:01 AM
My first modern Gerber on the way. Should be here next week. Sellers pic.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #718 on: August 05, 2019, 03:48:27 AM
Is the Gerber forum always this quiet, or is it that my tool is plain Jane?

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #719 on: August 05, 2019, 03:57:41 AM
Nice one!
I really like Gerbers

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00