Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Supertool 300

Offline b00mhower

Leatherman Supertool 300
on: May 26, 2014, 05:07:43 PM
Alright so I need some advice l. Found a Supertool 300 for $74 at a local farm supply store. Now right now this tool is well inside my price range but should I go ahead and buy it or shop around for a wave or surge. One thing I'm worried about is comfort when really Bearing down on something. Are the handles gonna cut my hands like some others have done? Any input is welcome and thank you in advance :D

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Using Tapatalk

us Offline MGill

Re: Leatherman Supertool 300
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:24:37 PM
The Super Tool 300 is an excellent tool. But for me the new Surge is a much better value for about $6 more. If you are set on the ST300 you can shop around a bit and find one 10-20 cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:30:13 PM
I have two ST300, and i have to say, i like it. It is big and sturdy beast. I like the size of it. Neither of mine hurt my hands when using, but they might because of way they are build. All tools inside. Good lock.
But i would change one for new surge anytime. Only because of Surges outside opening blades, and scissors...

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:28:18 PM
That's too much money for the 300.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:43:54 PM
The Supertool 300 is much more tasty at $53.90 shipped on eBay. 

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 07:48:56 PM
I would rather support knife dealers through my purchases and use ebay as a last resort.

http://www.knifeworks.com/

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/

http://www.knifesupply.com/

http://www.emergencymatters.com/
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:02:01 PM
I would rather support knife dealers through my purchases and use ebay as a last resort.

http://www.knifeworks.com/

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/

http://www.knifesupply.com/

http://www.emergencymatters.com/
I've bought from knifeworks before, great people to deal with :tu:
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:30:04 PM
I've bought from knifeworks before, great people to deal with :tu:

That's where I bought my Vic Swiss Tool for $66.95.

Their customer service is also first rate.

http://www.knifeworks.com/swissarmyswisstoolbyvictorinox23functions.aspx

us Online powernoodle

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 03:30:58 AM

Sellers on eBay like poor_fish and supreme solution are knife dealers, with first rate CS, and they consistently have the lowest prices. And often free shipping.  I just have a hard time spending $15 extra on an MT when I don't have to, and then usually paying shipping on top of it. 

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 04:47:05 AM
Sellers on eBay like poor_fish and supreme solution are knife dealers, with first rate CS, and they consistently have the lowest prices. And often free shipping.  I just have a hard time spending $15 extra on an MT when I don't have to, and then usually paying shipping on top of it.
It's difficult to determine who is a knife dealer and who is a reseller working out of their basement,when buying on ebay.You presume too much when you claim that you will pay $15.00 more if you don't buy from ebay.

I paid $52.80 with free shipping from a legitimate dealer who has been is business almost 30 years and he's in the list of dealers I provided to the OP.

Offline b00mhower

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 04:44:54 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm considering just paying for the 300 at that price because I don't really do eBay..not my cup of tea. Also I was looking elsewhere and found a Gerber MP400 Scout, how does that compare? I know gerber anymore is fairly shotty quality

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Using Tapatalk

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 04:56:01 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm considering just paying for the 300 at that price because I don't really do eBay..not my cup of tea. Also I was looking elsewhere and found a Gerber MP400 Scout, how does that compare? I know gerber anymore is fairly shotty quality

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

mp600 pro scout and a st300 are a fair comparison but not the mp400. Out of those two I would take the pro scout.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

Offline b00mhower

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 04:58:57 PM

mp600 pro scout and a st300 are a fair comparison but not the mp400. Out of those two I would take the pro scout.

Sak's  rule !
The pro scout has the flicky pliers correct?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Using Tapatalk

us Offline Mango808

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 05:12:43 PM
The ST300 and MP600 Scout (non-Pro model) is comparable as they just about have the same tools.

The MP600 Pro Scout is different as it has the Scissors and Remgrit saw and the single blade is half plain, half serated.

The MP400 Compact Scout would be more comparable to a LM PST II or LM Fuse.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 05:21:10 PM
Not sure about the Pro Scout but between the ST300 and the New Surge I'd say New Surge.  I really appreciate the OHO blades and the scissors.  The Blade exchanger and large LM bit holder makes this tool very versatile.  I prefer the file on the Surge over the ST300 and while heavier I feel you get a lot of tool for that extra weight.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 06:41:18 PM

The ST300 and MP600 Scout (non-Pro model) is comparable as they just about have the same tools.

The MP600 Pro Scout is different as it has the Scissors and Remgrit saw and the single blade is half plain, half serated.

The MP400 Compact Scout would be more comparable to a LM PST II or LM Fuse.

Yep you are right, thanks for the correction.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

Offline b00mhower

Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 10:16:01 PM
So of the tools listed it would be:
1) Surge
2) MP600 Pro Scout
3 Supertool 300
Is this correct?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Using Tapatalk

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 10:32:33 PM
I have a Supertool 300 and a had a couple of Surges.  Sold the Surges which were uncomfortable in the hand due to sharp edges.

Quite fond of the Supertool, but it and the Surge are too heavy for me to belt carry, so I usually carry a Leatherman Rebar instead.  The Rebar is a smaller, lighter weight clone of the Supertool 300.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline b00mhower

Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:05 PM

I have a Supertool 300 and a had a couple of Surges.  Sold the Surges which were uncomfortable in the hand due to sharp edges.

Quite fond of the Supertool, but it and the Surge are too heavy for me to belt carry, so I usually carry a Leatherman Rebar instead.  The Rebar is a smaller, lighter weight clone of the Supertool 300.
I considered the rebar but I've heard reports of discomfort during prolonged use.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Using Tapatalk

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 02:25:33 AM
I considered the rebar but I've heard reports of discomfort during prolonged use.ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Minor issues that are easily remedied.

Offline b00mhower

Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 02:26:36 AM

I considered the rebar but I've heard reports of discomfort during prolonged use.ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Minor issues that are easily remedied.
Sounds good to me! Might shop around a bit for that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69