Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's look at Waves.

Chako · 62 · 9835

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Let's look at Waves.
on: May 10, 2014, 02:43:11 PM
The Leaterman Wave is a very honest multi-tool. Its simplicity in materials, being made solely of stainless steel, and its functionality makes the Wave one of Leatherman's best sellers. Of course it doesn't hurt that the Wave is basically a thumbed down Charge, but at a lower price point. Leatherman made all the right decisions here, and those translated into a resonance with most Leatherman users. The fancy steels, most people do not care. The exotic Handles of the Charge, likewise. I can safely say that the Wave is one of my all time favorite Leatherman Designs. Most drool over the Charges, but the Wave does it all and with equal aplomb.

Just look at the beauty of the original Wave. The newer one is just as handsome.

Leatherman first introduced the original wave way back in 1998. In terms of multi-tool timelines, that is ancient territory. Just to let you know, I do believe the Wave was introduced right next to the Sideclip, which is a hot collector commodity these days. The original Wave did have one glaring fault, at least to my eyes. I believe it featured too many flat head drivers (A total of 4). I am happy to say that Leatherman fixed this issue with its successor, which arrived on the scene in 2004.

The Wave line carries its simplicity right into model differences. I guess this translates into less confusion for the buyer, probably another factor for the Wave being one of Leatherman's top sellers. We know that the original Wave is now discontinued, but you can still find them sometimes for sale online. The newer Wave mostly came in only 4 base versions (discounting all the exclusives and collector versions):

1. Stainless Wave
2. Stainless Wave with cap crimper head
3. Black Oxide (BO) Wave
4. Black Oxide (BO) Wave with cap crimper head

So how can one tell the difference between the older original Wave, and the newer Wave? Well placed side by side, the differences are obvious. The older Wave is slimmer, does not feature lever style locking mechanisms, and once opened, has a whole lot of flat head drivers taking up valuable tool space. Other minor differences also are the shape of the handle cutouts, and the font used on the  handles.

Here is an original Wave on top, and the newer Wave on the bottom.

Interestingly enough, I cannot find a BO original Wave. I am hazarding a guess that one does exist somewhere someplace however.

Here is an original Wave in stainless steel. Note the overabundance of flat head drivers. See those scissors...that is a very beautiful design. Probably one of the nicest designs in all of multi-tooldome, but that is a personal opinion.

Of interest to collectors (other than a BO original wave :) ), is this beautiful 20th Anniversary Wave that is coated in DLC, which stands for Diamond Like Coating...making this very scratch resistant and hard wearing. I know there is also a signature version created in numbered limited quantities, but that has proven impossible to find.

One the plus side, I do have the same as the above, sealed in a blister package.

That is all I have for the Original Wave. Moving now into the newer Wave, all I can say is that they revamped the original Wave so that it closely resembles the Charge Ti. What a coincidence, both the Wave and Charge Ti came out in the same year. So we can easily say that the Wave is the Charge Ti's cheaper cousin.

Here we have a stainless Wave. Note the tool similarity to the Charge lineup. Thank you Leatherman for removing all those useless flat head drivers for two removable ones.

Here is a Danish Wave. Note the lack of blade holes, and the addition of nail nicks. Denmark does not allow one hand opening knife blades (OHO). These require two hands to open a blade, making them legal there. These tools are a bit difficult to aquire outside of Denmark.

The same stainless Wave, but with the cap crimper head.

A BO Wave.

A BO Wave with the cap crimper head.

That is about it for the basic variations of the Newer Wave. However, there are quite a few collector centric Waves.

For Leatherman's 25th Anniversary, not only did they produce a beautiful silver Charge in limited numbers, but they also produced this stunning Wave. Stunning as in super buffed and shiny stunning.

Harder to get and probably in far lower numbers, this beautiful Danish 25th Anniversary Wave in a presentation metal tin.

In 2009, Leatherman came out with a limited edition Damascus bladed DLC (diamond like coated) Wave. A very beautiful wooden presentation box was also included.

Next is a green painted Wave for the Portland Timbers. I believe these can only be bought from the Leatherman company store in Portland Oregon.

This is a green painted Wave which is an exclusive for REI (Recreational Equipment Inc), an outdoor sports store.

This is an orange painted Wave which is an exclusive for Cabela's, a big outdoor hunting/fishing store.

I have several Texas Toolcrafter custome Waves. The first is a very striking laser etched model.

Followed by a BO and gold plated Wave.

Last is a gold plated Wave.

I currently have:

Original Waves - 3
New Waves - 14

Total 17
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Let's look at Waves.
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:58:10 PM
Nice pics!  I do like the wave.

It's still my favorite leatherman, part because it was my first big MT and part because its nicely designed and engineered.  I favor the body of the wave over the TTi and other charge versions as it is thinner.  I bought a new wave a few weeks ago and a 154cm blade from texas tool crafters and made a wave Ive always wanted.  My only complaint about the wave as it comes is Im not a fan of the blade, but with the 154cm in there, its my fav leatherman and I'd take that over a TTi any day. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline MGill

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 04:05:31 PM
Holy crap that BO/gold plated Wave is gorgeous. Another great read. I vote you do a profile of the Surge next. I can't wait to see you show off your collection of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 04:40:31 PM

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 07:53:12 PM
I personally do not care for charge's fancy handle scales look and feel.
Wave is the way to go for me.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:13:41 PM
I bought the Wave instead of the Charge for numerous reasons.The first one was  seat belt cutter tool.I would prefer that the serrated edge was on the same side as the hook.The S30-V steel is cool,but I'm never without an additional knife and therefore the steel composition of the main blade is not an important issue.Also I assumed I could save some weight with the titanium but that isn't the case.Aluminum is not a consideration for a multi-tool,at least for myself.
Finally the price for a tool,with features I don't deem important,was the deciding factor.
DSCN0909.JPG
* DSCN0909.JPG (Filesize: 139.83 KB)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:25:00 PM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:18:16 PM
I see Cabelas still sells the orange Wave :drool: Too bad they charge double for it what I can buy a stainless NIB for  ::)
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:27:28 PM
I see Cabelas still sells the orange Wave :drool: Too bad they charge double for it what I can buy a stainless NIB for  ::)

You can always buy the stainless one and DuraCoat the body orange.LOL.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:32:18 PM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 08:28:47 PM

Cheaper to just buy a regular wave then and get it cerakoted.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:33:30 PM

Cheaper to just buy a regular wave then and get it cerakoted.
Not a bad idea if I were so inclined. :salute:
SAW

Offline Paolo Enrico Pasco

Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 05:22:52 AM
My Orange Wave 🛠

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 06:09:37 AM
My Orange Wave 🛠
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for digging this thread up, I had not seen it before.
And welcome to the forum! Nice Wave too!  :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 02:06:34 PM
nice pics PEP   :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 04:21:42 PM
nice pics PEP   :cheers:

:drool: Love the orange on the Wave :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 04:23:17 PM
Nice bunch of pics by Chako as well at the top :o :like:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 05:28:32 PM
Whoa that is impressive!!!
I had no idea there were so many Wave variations!  :tu: :tu:

us Offline pitbullz4me

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 11:45:17 PM
The orange Wave is my favorite. Wish Leatherman would make those with BO toolset and orange handles. That would really pop imo.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 11:51:41 PM
I've used a Wave for years at work. Fine multitool. The OHO features on it is a big win for me. Pair it up with a premium charge sheath and it is a solid match.
:like:    :MTO:

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 12:39:22 AM
The orange Wave is my favorite. Wish Leatherman would make those with BO toolset and orange handles. That would really pop
That would be a great color combo, perfect for my Halloween birthday gift

Has the orange flaked off?
I have read several reviews at Cabela and most expressed disappointment with the finish. 

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 12:46:37 AM
Chako, your pics are extraordinary :tu: :tu: :tu:
Fantastic collection.  :salute:
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 01:32:13 AM
Thank you. Hard to believe I did these a couple of years ago.

For those who have never seen these, you can check my signature at the bottom of my post for a series of Leatherman articles. If nothing else, the images should help perspective Leatherman collectors.  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 02:13:10 AM
Thank you. Hard to believe I did these a couple of years ago.

For those who have never seen these, you can check my signature at the bottom of my post for a series of Leatherman articles. If nothing else, the images should help perspective Leatherman collectors.  :salute:

The images are always a good reference as well :salute:

us Offline pitbullz4me

Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 02:50:27 AM
The orange Wave is my favorite. Wish Leatherman would make those with BO toolset and orange handles. That would really pop
That would be a great color combo, perfect for my Halloween birthday gift

Has the orange flaked off?
I have read several reviews at Cabela and most expressed disappointment with the finish. 

lol. Didn't think about it from that standpoint of being Halloween colors. But yes it would make a very nice birthday gift.

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 03:08:01 AM
I have a post here from a few years ago when I bought an orange Wave. Really nice tool. Can't say that I've carried it as much as I planned, but it was in the bag near me for a long time.

Can't speak to how the finish holds up for hard use, but it got some serious bag wear and still looks great.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 02:42:28 AM
The Original WAVE was my first multi tool.  I remember after 9-11 reading about a Green Beret medic using the saw on one to amputate a guy's leg in Afghanistan.  I had to have one and literally wore that thing out.  Over 100 multi tools later I won't send it in for a new one. 

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 03:44:22 AM
The Original WAVE was my first multi tool.  I remember after 9-11 reading about a Green Beret medic using the saw on one to amputate a guy's leg in Afghanistan.  I had to have one and literally wore that thing out.  Over 100 multi tools later I won't send it in for a new one.
:sa:

Ive always wondered if Leathermans saw would work for amputation...

Thats pretty gruesome though 
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 17, 2016, 04:03:18 AM
If it will saw wood...

Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 05:34:25 AM
Sharing some snaps of my Wave Original Gen

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:36:22 AM by Paolo Enrico Pasco »