Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissTool Wirecutter Notches

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
SwissTool Wirecutter Notches
on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:43 PM
One of my frequent tasks is creating ethernet cables. Part of this involves stripping Cat5E cable, arranging the wires inside into a neat row, and then snipping them evenly so that the ends form a straight line. This straight line of wires is then inserted into an RJ45 connector to be crimped.

I noticed that the newer SwissTools have soft and hard wire cutting notches in the wirecutter. Will this prevent me from cutting CAT5E wires or similar wires in a straight line? Are there other common tasks which the notches interfere with but a regular sharp cutting edge could handle?

I noticed that some tools put the hard wire cutter behind the plier head. It seems to me that this would be a preferable arrangement to maximize the straight cutting edge.
[

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SwissTool Wirecutter Notches
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:32:37 PM
I am not a huge fan of this either.. Maybe, you could try another MT brand?
B

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:01:18 PM
It does sound like you may need a dedicated wire cutter for this one ..

Dunc

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:05:56 PM
Like Dunc said, you'll probably be needing some dedicated wirecutter's if you plan on doing a lot of cutting.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:31:03 PM
What originally got me into looking at multitools was the realization that 80% of my work only required wirecutters, needlenose pliers, a knife, and a Philips.

I used to basically EDC dedicated versions of those tools in my cargo pants, which proved bulky but surprisingly manageable.

Anyway, I am doing much less cabling these days, so I didn't think I needed dedicated wirecutters anymore. I just want to be able to cut the occasional cable if the need arises, and CAT5E seems fairly lightweight to me. Wouldn't the average LM, for example, be able to handle the job?

I had been hoping to get a SwissTool, but it might be a problem if I can't cut a straight line of wires. I think the older ones didn't have notches. Also, I wonder if the knife or scissors could do it?
[

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:33:44 PM
The Swisstool can cut wire just fine :), stranded wire can be a bit of an issue but normal wire should be fine :)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:34:04 PM
I'm sure i've got some sacrificial CAT 5 around here somewhere, i'll give a few tools a go and let you know how they perform. Be tomorrow by the time i get round to it :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:43 PM
There ya go, Ryan will be your saviour :)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:29:38 AM
Thanks Roadie. That would be great! :D

I found an image that shows more clearly what I want to do:

I do the exact same thing as in the photo: spread the wires out in flat row, and then snip them in a straight line.

I am pretty sure the SwissTool wirecutters can simply cut through CAT5, but I don't know if they will let me cut it in a straight line like that, especially with the notches.

Thanks again...
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:43:49 AM
What originally got me into looking at multitools was the realization that 80% of my work only required wirecutters, needlenose pliers, a knife, and a Philips.

You just described the Leatherman Kick :D
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 01:42:12 AM

You just described the Leatherman Kick :D

Funny you should say that. I just started seriously looking at the Kick yesterday.

Back when I was doing more network cabling and computer hardware work, I probably would have just walked into a store knowing nothing about multitools, bought a Kick and been very happy, since it is fairly cheap and had all the basic functions I wanted.

But after stumbling across this site and joining the SOSAK, I now find myself studying the minutiae of each model and brand, comparing weights and functions, etc. and becoming more interested in that other 20% of the work that requires other tools.
Even weirder, I just received my first couple of SAKs from Tim, when I had initially intended to purchase a multitool?  ??? I am really enjoying the SAKs by the way...

Anyway, the Kick/Fuse/Blast series do look like a very good value. The thing that attracted me to them was the length of the Philips and relatively small size. I noticed the Spirit's shank has a curve to it which I think would make it hard to access recessed screws, which I have to do very frequently.

So instead of just buying a Kick and getting on with my life, I now have an entire list of SAKs and multis I want to check out. If I had a credit card that wasn't maxed out, I'd be in real trouble!

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 02:14:02 AM
Might want to consider the newest SOG PowerLock as well. The new plier head has the longest wire cutter section of any multitool I've seen.

* new sog.jpg (Filesize: 42.6 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 07:06:55 PM
Is the edge sharp like a real cutter or rounded like leatherman?

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 10:24:01 PM
Swisstool is a great tool, and I EDC one ofter, but it does not have an RJ45 crimper. The $5 Crimper tool, on the other hand,  cuts the outer sleeve, cuts the wires in straight line, and crimps the RJ45 connector just fine.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 10:26:26 PM by ufox9al »
-------
Alexei

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 10:30:59 PM
Are you referring to a generic RJ45 crimper, or did you find a smaller, cheaper version?

A small, light crimper would be great to have for occasional use.

I do have a crimping tool, but it is much too large and heavy to EDC, and also cost much more than $5...

[

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 02:32:52 AM
Yes, I did mean the regular-sized crimper. An eBay search for RJ45 (Crimper, crimping) would give you plenty from $2+ (Under $10 including shipping). Te one I have is from a neighbourhood computer store for $6.99 or something. It is indeed quite bulky for an EDC, but how did you intend to actually crimp the connector without one?
-------
Alexei

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 06:39:50 AM
Wow, they definitely have some cheap crimpers on eBay!  :o

I find most of the crimpers under $40 don't crimp reliably though, and start to go out of alignment after 20 or so crimps.

To bring this back on topic, I think it would be possible to crimp RJ45 using a SAK, or probably a Spirit. Not something you would do every day, but it could be a temporary solution for when you are in a pinch.

For my current purposes though, I mainly just want to know if it is possible to cut small wires in a straight line with a SwissTool, as in the image I posted.
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 11:29:08 AM
Well i only had some spare 4 conductor CAT5 but you can see the relative lengths of the cutting bits on each tool, the Swisstool was the worst performer in this test, the Wave/Kick/MP600 were the best in my view :) There wasn't enough space to get anymore than the 4 conductors in the Swisstool and the hard wire notch didn't like cutting it so you couldn't use the full length. Hope this helps :)
Swisstool

Paladin PT510

Gerber MP400

MP600

Leatherman Kick

Leatherman Wave (new)

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 02:21:46 PM
Great pictures Roadie!
Max, sorry for taking the thread a bit off-topic, I am about to do this again :-) I just grabbed a Cat-5 wire and had no problem at all cutting the small wires in a straight line using my CT-41 SCISSORS (same scissors as on Swisstool). I would not do this very often, but those thin copper wires should not dull the stainless scissors for some time. Now, back off topic, I still cannot grasp how you can crimp the RJ45 connector without a crimper. There are 2 crimping areas - the largeplastic pece that holds the whole wire in place (I guess, you could use some king of a jig and pliers for that), and 8 condictor pieces that should be sunk into the wires (what can you do with those?). I am just an amature "crimper" (and hope to stay this way), so I am very curious about the tricks of the pros!
-------
Alexei

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 10:22:22 PM
Great photos Ryan  :D I'm impressed . Thanks

Dunc

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 10:25:35 PM
Great pictures Roadie!

Great photos Ryan  :D I'm impressed . Thanks

Thanks :) I'm quite impressed with the "Super Macro" function of my camera too, although i did notice after taking the pics that i need to de-fluff my tools ::)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 10:51:36 PM
"Super Macro" How cool is that  :D

dunc

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 10:54:45 PM
"Super Macro" How cool is that  :D

dunc

Very cool! It always makes me think of Super Mario :D No flash though when its in that mode so you have to have a stable platform to get a good pic :)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 02:50:04 AM
Wow! Thanks Roadie. Those are really fantastic pics!

I had no idea the SwissTool blades were so short.

I am surprised that the Paladin's are so short because those tools seem almost perfect in every other regard for this stuff.

It seems that the Kick is remarkably good in general for such a light and inexpensive tool. It has longer drivers than most multis too.

I think the short answer though is that all of these tools aren't really suited to that task. They are intended to cut a single wire at a time.

Thanks again Roadie. That was as good a demo as I could imagine!  :cheers:
[

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 03:10:48 AM
@ufox9al: I am definitely not a "pro". I know just enough to know that it can be a very complicated subject, and that there are people who know a lot more about it than me. :P

Most of the people I know use a fairly expensive, high quality crimp tool, and a fairly expensive, high quality cable tester to test each cable they make. No real secrets. The more expensive tools work the same as the cheap ones, but just do a much better job.

Often we wind up sharing those tools, so having a separate wirecutter is very handy. I actually prefer to use a separate diagonal cutter and stripper to the ones found in the crimping tool anyway.

I would never trust any crimp that was done without a proper tool. I was only thinking it might be possible to do in a "MacGyver emergency situation" as a temporary solution.

I *think* you could press the 8 pins down partially with some pliers, and then finish seating them one at a time by pressing down with a flat screwdriver. That would be the hardest part.

After that, you could likely press the cord grip down with a small flathead as well.

I haven't tried it though. I am more wondering out loud, but I think it would work. I tried to see if there was webpage describing how to do it, but only found some short references to it with no details...

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 06:08:03 AM
That was a great series of demo shots Roadie.  :)

OT: I'm going to add an Implement section to the Multitool Encyclopedia. Do you mind if I use those pictures in a page about wirecutters?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 11:17:12 AM

OT: I'm going to add an Implement section to the Multitool Encyclopedia. Do you mind if I use those pictures in a page about wirecutters?

Not at all Bob :) Do you want one of the replaceable Gerber ones too?

Wow! Thanks Roadie. Those are really fantastic pics!
I am surprised that the Paladin's are so short because those tools seem almost perfect in every other regard for this stuff.

No problem :) Yeah the Paladin's are quite short but i think the bigger brothers to that tool have much longer cutters.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 03:10:31 PM

Not at all Bob :) Do you want one of the replaceable Gerber ones too?

Sure! Let's get the whole range of options shown. I'll try to get a similar photo using the new SOG plier head design.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 03:11:46 PM
Here you go then Bob, did one of the Spirit too :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 03:37:32 PM
Great!! And here's one of the SOG 2.0 pattern:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%