Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets look at the Skeletool Family.

Chako · 154 · 44099

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Lets look at the Skeletool Family.
on: May 14, 2014, 01:54:21 AM
When I first saw the Skeletool, I was intrigued by its design. It sure didn't look like any Leatherman before it, and that carabiner was intriguing. What I didn't know at the time, it would spawn many different tools that are related to the venerable Skeletool in design. So let us take a closer look at the Skeletool family...

The Skeletool first came out in 2007. It was designed to be a minimalist tool that would be easy to carry. With that said, there were two versions of the Skeletool. An all stainless steel Skeletool, and a slightly upscale half carbon fiber Skeletool CX. One would think the addition of the carbon fiber would impart a weight savings of some sort...but no such luck. The CX just gives you a different look. The other major difference, other than looks, was the knife blade. The plain Jane Skeletool featured a 420 Stainless steel blade. The Skeletool CX featured a 154CM stainless steel blade.

Before I go on, I must also add this bit of information. There are two variants of the Stainless and carbon fiber Skeletools. The original Skeletool featured a plain blade, and the original run of the CX featured a serrated blade. This is important because the following year, Leatherman changed the blade styles on both Skeletools. The newer run of the Skeletool features a serrated blade, and the newer run of the Skeletool CX now feature a plain blade. This distinction may only be important to collectors

Here are two Skeletools. Both show the generational differences in the blade. The older Skeletool is below the newer Skeletool is on-top.

The next photo shows the more upscale Skeletool CX. You can see the carbon fiber patterning on one half of the tool. Here, the older serrated blade is above the newer plain edged blade.

Of interest to the collector is this rare error. They mislabeled a Skeltool CX as a Freestyle CX.

Here is a very nice gold plated Skeletool from Texas Toolcrafters. I must admit, the gold plated Skeletool is very beautiful. The photo does it no justice.

Now for the weirdest official Skeletool. How about one geared towards snowboarders. Meet the Skeletool SX. The odd thing about this tool is the overly large and exterior diamond coated file, which I can only imagine, might do some damage to clothing or well...anything it rubs against. The file is located on the right handle as seen in this next photo.

Now for some collector material. Leatherman has painted quite a few Skeletools. Now with all painted tools, they do tend to wear badly as the paint does come off of them easily. However, they do make for a striking tool. You just have to handle them carefully. As far as I know, there are two US retail exclusives, and 3 UK exclusives. The Red Skeletool is an exclusive from REI. The Green Skeletool is an exclusive from Cabela's to celebrate their 50th anniversary. The Blue, Orange, and Yellow all come from the UK market. As far as I know, all of these are hard to come by these days.

In 2009, Leatherman came out with an even more cut down Skeletool, called the Freestyle. Much like the Skeletool, it also came in two versions. The Stainless steel Freestyle, and the fancier carbon fiber Fresestyle CX. Yes, there is a trend here. It also splashes onto the blades as well. The stainless steel Freestyle features a serrated blade. The Freestyle CX feature a plain edged blade that is also 154CM. Amazingly, Leatherman has now discontinued the Freestyle CX, but still currently produces the Freestyle. As far as I know, there are no generational differences that are seen in the Skeletool. All Freestyles come with a serrated blade. All Freestyle CX come with a plain edged blade.

The Freestyle is a bit light on the toolset. It eliminated that nice and useful carabiner which also doubled as a bottle opener found in the Skeletool. More unforgiving is the lack of a removable bit driver. Here we see a Freestyle.

In this next photo, we see two Freestyle CX models above, and a Freestyle holding the bottom position. These are very minimalist tools, and quite a few people view the Skeletool as a minimalist tool to begin with.

Here are the tools flipped over. Note that these do come with a pocket clip. Also note that the middle tool is a factory error. The bottom half is not black like the Freestyle CX above it. In other words, this is sort of half a Freestyle CX and half a stainless steel Freestyle. Something of interest to a collector.

In 2010, Leatherman came out with a military specific tool that immediately got my interest. I have a few Multitaskers and other military specific tools. One could say I have a thing for military specific multi-tools. It was nice to see Leatherman enter the fray. I am talking about the MUT (Military Utility Tool). I love this tool so much it has found a place on my side when I go motorcycling.

Now the MUT comes in 3 variations. You have the stainless steel version. You also have the Black Oxide version (military loves black non-reflective tools). There is also an EOD specific MUT that features a C4 spike and a military spec cap crimper which looks a lot like the ones found on the Gerber MP 600 tools for years now.

Here is the stainless steel MUT. Note the specific tools designed for AR rifle maintenance. The biggest thing I like about these tools are the extra long bit drivers and the hammer/V cutter.

Here is the even sexier BO MUT. I must add that the firearm punch is removable. The threaded stubb will mate nicely with an OTIS cleaning kit. Not only that, there are special screw in on the sides of the plier head for such a purpose.

Even more hard core is the MUT EOD. Note the addition of a C4 spike instead of the firearm punch. The plier head also feature the cap crimper.

And here are all 3 MUT versions together.

Also in 2010, Leatherman decided to shrink the Skeletool and came out with the Leatherman Style CS. The Style CS resembles a miniature Skeletool in shape. In fact, these tools are rather cute all told. As with the naming convention of Leathermans other smaller type tools, the CS stands for Scissors. Hence, the Style CS is a more stylish Micra in some ways.

The following year, Leatherman changed the scissors for a pair of pliers, and called the new version the Style PS. P stands for pliers, S for Scissors. In the following photo, you can see both a Style CS (bottom) and Style PS (top). Both tools feature a removable pair of tweezers that slide on the side of the handles. You can see them nestled just above the miniature carabiner. Note the Style PS does not have a knife blade, making it supposedly more airline travel safe.

Now of interest to collectors, the Style CS was produced in a nice variety of painted colours. Here we see a Red, Blue, Pink, and Green Style CS along with the standard black, and a special run MT.O. The Pink features a breast cancer ribbon on the blade, and is part of Leatherman's Pink Program which featured 3 multi-tools, a Style, Style CS, and Micra.

Speaking of special runs. Here are two MT.O tools in their presentation metal tins. When ordered, you could specify a specific number. Since the first Style CS came to me as #5, I made sure the second Style PS also was #5. I do not know the production numbers on these.

Also in 2010, Leatherman introduced a very small tool simply called a Style. It was basically half of a Style CS, and was aimed at the Victorinox Classic camp. The tool proved to be a bit fiddly, and the nail nick locations only exacerbated the situation. Consequently, this tool enjoyed a short production run and is now recently discontinued. These came in 4 anodized colours. Red, Black, Pink, and Blue. Of interest to the collector is a special Pink Style with the breast cancer ribbon. This was a series of 3 tools to promote breast cancer awareness, and which Leatherman called their Pink program. Yes, I do have two reds. I was thinking of EDCing one until I found out I couldn't live with the difficulty of tool extraction. By the way, these all feature removable tweezers.

Well that concludes a look at the Skeletool family. As you can see, it is a very diverse family at that.

Here is a bonus shot showing the size differences. From left to right, MUT, Skeletool CX, Freestyle, and Style CS. The Style is half that of the Style CS.

What I have, by the numbers:

12 Skeletool/Skeletool CX
3 Freestyle/Freestyle CX
4 Mut/MUT EOD
8 Style CS/PS
6 Style

33 Total
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:17:52 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Lets look at the Skeletool Family.
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:14:24 AM
Yet another great show, thanks for sharing!!  I love the look of the Skeletool CX, and think it would fit right in since I have a BO MUT and a Style CS.  A PE one has been on my want list for awhile now, just haven't pulled the trigger on one.  I do wish they made a BO version of it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 02:48:48 AM
A BO version would be cool.

us Offline English333

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:18:36 AM
I am elated to see a thread such as this. Finally some love for the Skele. I feel like the minimalist design is underrated because of the lack of   :climber:. I EDC this thing everywhere. I even wear it on the couch for the occasional beer. I wish I had known my red Skele was a limited edition and I would've taken better care of it (probably). I also own the MUT and I'm in love with both. Also.  Anyone know if I can special order the 154CM blade anywhere to fit onto my Skele?

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 03:54:23 PM

Skeletool from the movie "Oblivion" with Tom Cruise.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:02:32 PM
I have a special place for the Skeletool. I especially enjoyed your write-up, comparisons and pictures on this one Dan :tu:
SAW

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:02:18 PM
I am elated to see a thread such as this. Finally some love for the Skele. I feel like the minimalist design is underrated because of the lack of   :climber:. I EDC this thing everywhere. I even wear it on the couch for the occasional beer. I wish I had known my red Skele was a limited edition and I would've taken better care of it (probably). I also own the MUT and I'm in love with both. Also.  Anyone know if I can special order the 154CM blade anywhere to fit onto my Skele?

Nope, only if you harvest it from a Skele CX or a now disco'd Freestyle CX.

That was a one of. Made by the movie crew for the purposes of the movie if I remember correctly. Leatherman themselves didn't know about it until someone posted a screenshot of it on their FB. :D

And yes, BO Skele ... :dd:

I'd be up for one of those. :drool:

Thanks for the write up and pics, Chako. :cheers:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 08:36:51 PM
Enjoyed reading this Chako.  Good stuff. :cheers:
One thing (no offence): Your bonus size comparison picture has no Style at all.

I took the liberty of adding a pic with the Style, Style CS, and Skeletool CX:

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 01:05:36 AM
Umm...where is the Freestyle and MUT in yours.  :D

But point well taken.  :salute:

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:42:14 AM
I love my Style CS. It's my favourite scissors  tool. :D
Leatherman

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 02:21:31 AM
I enjoyed this, thanks for posting. :)

us Offline Mango808

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 03:23:06 AM
Speaking of discontinued Freestyle CX, I saw several (around 10 or so) at the Navy Exchange at Pearl Harbor discounted for about $45 a couple of months ago. Didn't get it at the time as I already have a "barely used" Skeletool CX that I got off ebay under that price shipped. Haven't been back to see if they still have any left to get as it would still be a pretty good deal for a brand new one.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 06:26:45 AM
Another enjoying read.

thanks Chako

Defend the Hive!!!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:16 PM
Also in 2010, Leatherman introduced a very small tool simply called a Style. It was basically half of a Style CS, and was aimed at the Victorinox Classic camp. The tool proved to be a bit fiddly, and the nail nick locations only exacerbated the situation. Consequently, this tool enjoyed a short production run and is now recently discontinued.
Wow I did not know that Chako.
I aquired one last year.
I think you are spot on with its competitive target (ie Vic Classic) and it is a bit fiddly - But I really like it. Bit of a shame I'd say.

Great review - as always, of course - And great place to learn stuff - Thanks

PS. Is the MUT really part of the Skeletool family??  ???

PPS. Whilst they might be a bit 'lightweight' physically and interms of their toolset - They are real eye/head turners - especially for non multitool people - They are very attractive and cool looking and mine is always getting comments!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:09:32 PM by Huntsman »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:24:18 PM
Huntsman. I tend to lump them with the Skeletool...simply because they look like one on steroids.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 05:10:26 PM
So, will you be adding any of the new custom Texas Tool Crafters "ceramic" coloured Skeletools to your collection ?

I liked the look of the green and purple ones so I've bought them (along with the 24K gold one)  :facepalm:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 05:36:28 PM
Not yet.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 08:16:39 PM
the green one in particular is gorgeous... just sayin'. :pok:

:D

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 11:37:17 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Showing a White Skeletool saved the film. :tu:
Then,after that scene, I wished I used my Skeletool CX to save the rest of the film.  By cutting the power cord to the projector :whistle:
922785_568492319848461_1397773213_n.jpg
* 922785_568492319848461_1397773213_n.jpg (Filesize: 7.63 KB)
7726802.jpg
* 7726802.jpg (Filesize: 42.99 KB)
Oblivion.jpg
* Oblivion.jpg (Filesize: 12.48 KB)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:39:15 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 01:39:41 AM
Huntsman. I tend to lump them with the Skeletool...simply because they look like one on steroids.
Yep - Good point - Now I can see the photo with all of them (for some reason it was not appearing last night) - I can see the resemblance.

Maybe not immediate family (mother, father brother, sister etc)
More of a big, ugly, older, cousin  :o

au Offline harronek

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 05:33:07 AM
I love my latest Skeleool .
I've owned at least one for quite a few years , and they are my favourite for around the house on weekends . Work is reserved for my faithful Surge .

Ken
A designer know he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 12:41:39 PM
Re: the Style CS and airline friendliness.
There are bunches of them in state here, where they sell off the confiscated items from the TSA, so it seems they are not so airline friendly after all.

us Offline Rux

Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 10:18:21 PM
Since the Tom Cruise Oblivion Skeletool picture made it in this thread, thought I'd post this cameo.

The Skeletool makes a cameo in a cinematic scene from the video game Call of Duty Black Ops II.

I found it amusing, going to use it as my avatar.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 01:44:48 AM
Since the Tom Cruise Oblivion Skeletool picture made it in this thread, thought I'd post this cameo.

The Skeletool makes a cameo in a cinematic scene from the video game Call of Duty Black Ops II.

And don't forget.  Tom Cruise did use a Skeletool CX in "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal"(hummingbird vision required) to open the computer cabinet.
(Thank God for a pause button)
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 01:48:02 AM

And don't forget.  Tom Cruise did use a Skeletool CX in "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal"(hummingbird vision required) to open the computer cabinet.

well, I guess I will watch this Mission Impossible again.  I own the bluray,  and never noticed.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 02:06:19 AM

well, I guess I will watch this Mission Impossible again.  I own the bluray,  and never noticed.
That scene after he climbs up to the computer room.  He opens that  computer cabinet.  If I can see it on DVD, blu-ray should be easier for you :tu:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 08:38:37 PM
I got a new sibling added to the family

From small to big; Leatherman Style, Style CS, Style PS and a Skeletool CS, the one they all spawned off from.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:05 PM
 :tu:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: August 08, 2014, 10:49:56 AM
May I assume there are two versions of the pliers?
One on left is older, newer one on right?
I heard reports of earlier pliers (1st gen.?) being weak, did the improvement on 2nd version strengthen up the pliers?
Skeletool pliers.jpg
* Skeletool pliers.jpg (Filesize: 148.97 KB)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 03:10:37 PM
Yes, Leatherman did see fit to ever so slightly beef up the pliers on the recent Skeletools. With that said, there isn't much difference between the two in terms of metal thickness...but then again, maybe the plier head didn't need much beefing up.

Now as far as generation thing goes. The first generation had a serrated knife blade for the Skeletool CX and a plain blade for the Skeletool. Second generation switched that around. I have no idea when Leatherman made the plier head change...I can view it as a third generational change. Anyone have any idea when they changed the plier head?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24